Top Ten Worst Episodes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Frontier, Feb 23, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

While it is a commentary on Vietnam, I'd hardly call it propaganda. It was pretty bold statement about there being no perfect solution. :shrug:

2. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Well, my initial impression from reading Mr_Homn's criticisms is that he's not a TOS fan in general and rather missed the point of that episode (and a few others).

3. Jaer007ll

Jaer007ll Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  4. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

Interesting how over half of Star Trek is hated by Star Trek "fans." Times have changed.

5. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

you'd be wrong

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Quite a response there. :techman:

But you're definitely wrong about A Private Little War.

7. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can assure you that most of the episodes with more than 2 votes on that list have always been pretty universally disliked by most, not all, with an exception or two. times haven't really changed in that regard. good shows can have bad episodes, dont be so defensive

8. john7865

john7865 Cadet Newbie

I agree with you.

9. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I think Spock's Brain, at least the first half isn't that bad.

I think people remember it so much because when originally telecast, it was the Season 3 premier.

10. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Every bad episode had at least some element to it that made it worth watching, even Spocks Brain had camp appeal. One big exception...Alternative Factor. Horrible writing, horrible acting, even that stupid hair on Lazarus. It is the one episode that I turn off.

11. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

On the other hand, The Alternative Factor did have a nice perspective of the Enterprise firing its phasers that was never seen before or since.

12. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

On the other hand, The Alternative Factor did have a nice perspective of the Enterprise firing its phasers that was never seen before or since.

I forgot about that...I stand corrected. Plus it was filmed on location. Is it just me or does Trek look at its best filmed in natural outdoor settings and its worst on those horrible sets made to resemble planet exteriors.

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

“The Alternative Factor” had both. Location scenes were shot at Vasquez Rocks . . .

[​IMG]

. . . and the “antimatter universe” was a soundstage set.

[​IMG]

I never minded the fake-looking planet exterior sets (and they did look pretty fake, even back in 1967). They were part of the look and style of TOS Trek. I accepted them as stylized representations of reality.

14. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

anyone know whatever happened to Lazarus's small ship?

I could swear I saw it or parts of it in another series or movie somewhere.

15. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Actually, there is an interesting point in there. I have been a Star Trek fan all my life
    (I mean Star Trek, not NextGen or Deep9 or any of the other spinoffs)
    but it is a fact that some of the original episodes were terrible. That fact came as something of a shock to me as I grew up and started to realize it, maybe around when I entered my teens. As I've grown older I've only become pickier, or maybe more sensitive/embarrassed about the flaws in even the above-average episodes. My list of episodes that are actually "good", good without reservation, grows shorter. Nowadays, I curmudgeonly might qualify less than a third or a fourth of the episodes as "good".

And yet I love it.

Why do I love it so much? What do I love about it?

Our love for the series, the original series, is disproportionate to the quality of the episodes. What's another way to say this? We love TOS more than we love any individual episode. Somehow TOS is better than any of its episodes. Its crappiest episodes do not drag it down. How is that possible? What do we love about it?

16. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Problem is, some people might actually love the episodes that are on these lists. New fans should watch for themselves, instead of taking another person's word for it.

17. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I have watched Star Trek for 40 years, love the show its characters, its flaws, its moments of genius.

I have favourite episodes, and I have least favourites, even about three or four that I consider to be embarrassing, but at this rate, on this thread, just about every episode of Star Trek has been included as being shit.

Is this a Star Trek bashers forum ?

18. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1. Spectre of the Gun
    2. The Way to Eden
    3. The Lights of Zetar
    4. Catspaw
    5. And the Children Shall Lead
    6. Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
    7. Elaan of Troyius
    8. Plato's Stepchildren
    9. Turnabout Intruder
    10. Spock's Brain

19. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

I tried to think of ten but could only come with the one:

Spock's Brain.

Most of the rest are great or at leat passable.

20. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are only two that I'd call unwatchable:

That Which Survives - It just strikes the wrong tone throughout, especially with Spock's exessive sarcasm. Feels as if the writer had never even seen Star Trek. :vulcan:

The Empath - I can truly say I have never made it though this episode without actually, literally falling asleep. Maybe I shouldn't judge it without having seen all of it, but I don't think that's going to be a realistic possibility. :thumbdown:

But I'll add a third:

Spock's Brain - ... although it's so mind-manglingly bad that I find it immensely entertaining. :rofl: