Ever been Trekked out?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by RAMA, Jun 6, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm going through a normal phase where I don't watch any reruns, usually lasts many months, half a year, what have you..but I used to feel I'd never get tired of TOS. TOS-R refreshed my interest for awhile but I haven't watched TOS-R in over a year, and I have no interest in watching or reading about it anymore, despite having the show on my Netflix. It seems as if I am finally TOSed out after all these many years. The only ST shows I seem to be interested in watching in the near term are STNG, Enterprise, and to a lesser degree DS9. Has anyone ever hit the wall in terms of ST fandom??

RAMA

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yeah. But it's usually an all or nothing proposition for me. Though lately I've found myself more interested in watching the films instead of the series.

It's cyclical, with football season coming up and the releases of Madden 2013 and NCAA Football, this is the time of year my Trek watching begins to decline.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    not me. There's too much "out there" in terms of available Trek material, between the movies, shows, books, internet sites, fanfic, etc.

4. BillJ

I think that's part of the problem, there's too much Trek out there.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I reached my fill of Trek around 2003. TOS, TNG, & DS9 had me hooked from beginning to end, but I started drifting away during VOY (aside from TAS, it became the first Trek series I never saw every episode of). ENT had me for a short while, but that didn't last too long and I eventually stopped watching Trek altogether.

These days, I'm a lot more ambivalent about Trek now. Star Trek XI was nice, and I do plan on seeing Star Trek XII, but I'm not as excited about Trek like I once was. For me, it wasn't too much Trek, just too much safe Trek...

6. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely. By now, the only series I watch is TNG, which has always been my favorite. Even that I tend to do in spurts. I watched all seven seasons six or seven months ago. Hadn't watched even a single episode for a couple years before that and haven't watched any since. Maybe in another six months...

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I've never been one to grab an episode and watch it. I just watch the whole Series straight through, then put the DVDs back up on shelf, and move on to the next Series I want to rewatch. So, I may go a couple years in between rewatches of Farscape, Trek, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, etc.

So, no, not a matter of being Trekked out, simply a matter of moving on to another Series until Trek comes back into the rotation. I watched DS9 (2nd rewatch), then Enterprise (1st Rewatch) and now on Voyager (Up to episode 6.19, first rewatch, missed alot during First Run). Then I'll move on to TNG or TOS/TAS and when both of those are done, I'll probably do Stargate SG1, and Trek will sit waiting for me for a year or two until it comes back around.

8. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Not yet. I never get tired of TOS, and watch at least a few random episodes a month

As for the TNG and DS9, I tend to go through a season set quickly when the mood strikes me, which is less frequent, maybe a couple times a year.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

See, this is exactly why I'm glad to have the whole thing in DVD. When I feel like watching an episode or movie, I do, and if I don't, they sit on the shelf.

For the last month or so, they've been on the shelf, but they're there if (and when) I want to see them again.

10. BillJ

I don't think I've touched a physical Trek series disc since all the series came to Netflix, with the exception of TNG: The Next Level.

Shouldn't this be in General Trek Discussion?

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Currently I'm only watching TNG because it's the only one shown on cable right now but then I'm only watching certain episodes not all of them. My Trek DVDs were lost in a move and I can't afford to replace them so I'm relying on cable to see them. Even if I had the DVDs I'd probablynot watch them all that much. I'm pretty Trekked out at the moment...even the novels are piling up on my shelf. I'm buying them, want to read them but never seem to get around to it. I don't mind talking about it here though. guess I'm in a weird spot in my life.

12. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I have my phases but I always go back to TOS every time just waiting for STTNG on Blu ray I'll be glued to that for a bit !!!!

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I never tire of TOS - for me it actually gets better as the years pass. As cliche as this may read, it's nevertheless a truism when I say it's something truly magical for me.

14. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's been over 40 years. If I was ever gonna get trekked out on TOS, it would have happened by now. I can see no end in sight...

For me, it's TOS that never wears out its welcome. I never tire of it, after hundreds of viewings. For some reason, TOS has the most re-watchability to me, more than any other ST (not that the others can't be as good or sometimes superior).

I also enjoy DS9, but that's harder to watch one-off. If I start with DS9, I gotta go all-in, not just pop in an eps or two.

Hell, I'd watch a TOS eps for the 999th time over most any other ST eps for the 5th time. Not that the others aren't good. But TOS is TOS.

15. BillJ

This says it all. :techman:

16. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I don't get "Trekked-out". I do find myself sometimes with so many options that I kind of "freeze up" when trying to decide what movie, or series, or episode to watch.

It's more like a "Trek overload". :)

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well it basically started with TOS...its been around the longest...I think it's been thegreatest target of disinterest...STNG-R will revitalize my STNG viewing...Enterprise still seems fresh and new...I have watched it the least, and if I want a continuing storyline DS9 is the thing...I have simply exhausted anything I can get out of TOS apparently.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There are times I've had enough of message boards. but then something keeps me in. :lol:

As for Trek, yeah, at times. After TMP in '79 and most of the '80s and '90s I didn't watch TOS reruns with any real frequency. When each new film came along I was there on opening night or ASAP that weekend.

I love TOS and I like some of TNG. But like some others have said rarely do I watch one episode even with DVDs at hand. Usually I'll go on a binge with the whole series then go through another dry spell.

When it comes to SF Star Trek and TOS remain my all-time favourites, but over the years I've also gotten interested in other things. And thats probably a healthy thing not to have all your interests invested in one basket. If Trek slides and goes downhill (thats another discussion) then I've got other things to keep me occupied.

19. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I have never really been 'Trekked Out', but I think it has more to do with the unintentional breaks I get. Except for baseball games, and daily news, I don't watch much TV at all between April - Oct. Outside activities take up most of my time. Additionally, because of my job, I have gone many long periods with no TV at all. During those times, Trek lit always was available.

20. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am now, thanks to an attempt at a Starfleet chapter locally. Killed it for me, except for my beloved "Star Trek" (1964-1969) on unadulterated DVDs with my kids.

All the Berman-era, I couldn't care less if I never see again, though I certainly liked it at the time.