DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sykonee, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:confused: Was this really necessary?

Week 27: (Ending 05.02.99)
    VOY - Juggernaut (Airdate 04.26.99)
    DS9 - The Changing Face Of Evil (Airdate 04.28.99)
    VOY - Someone To Watch Over Me (Airdate 04.28.99)

So why did Juggernaut get bumped to this week? Was there something on UPN the previous Wednesday that prevented the episode from airing? Why not just a little later in the week then? Who knows anymore.

With its return, VOY serves up a pair of episodes that were quite enjoyable in their own ways. Juggernaut is easily the best "B'Elanna Fixed Stuffs" episode I've seen, with great grimy sets of the Malon ship, Dawson having that sexy Hot Mess look to her, and many of the peripheral characters getting involved for a change (whoa, Neelix actually came across as useful for once!). Also, this is the third time Ron Canada has shown up in this thread, and he gives quite the sympathetic angle to his character, which surprised me as he's always cast as a hard-headed asshole.

I suppose I can bitch about the Malon being seen this far away from when we last saw them, and that doing another "B'Elanna Must Deal With Anger Issues" arc that never gets followed up on just feels redundant now. Whatever. I've come to expect this from VOY. So long as its hour of showtime entertains, I can look over it.

Funnily enough, there was little Doc or Seven in Juggernaut, but seeing how they dominate the next episode, it makes sense.

Someone To Watch Over Me is quite charming in that rom-com sort of way, doing much better than DS9's last attempt at it (His Way). In this case though, no one hooks up, which is a shame but makes sense where Seven is concerned. There honestly isn't much else to say about it. If the tag line "Doc teaches Seven the art of dating, and whimsical hijinx ensue" appeals to you, then you'll dig this episode. I have to wonder how that long-lost TNG Diplomacy Episode ended up here though.

DS9, then. That show's in heavy arc mode now and treats us to a payoff to all that Breen lead-up. Having them make a suicide run at Earth seems out of the blue at first, but makes sense upon reflection - after all, who would have expected the Breen to suddenly show up like that? Does that mean they're Serious Business though? Yes it does, as the first major engagement with the Alliance sees Federation and Romulan starships quickly and efficiently eradication! The Defiant barely even got a few shots off before getting blowed up real good. Like, Holy Shit, man!

Okay, there's one thing that niggles me about the Defiant's destruction, in that I didn't feel it was as poignant as it could have been. Not because it was done so swiftly, I like that part. It's the fact we've hardly seen the ship in action this season. If you think of a Trek Series' ship as a character as well, it'd be like having Nog or Vorik show up after a long absence only to be killed off - it helps to have recent connection to characters if we're going to feel their deaths more. But I quibble.

This isn't even getting into the other two major developments in this episode: the continuing Dukat/Winn arc, and Damar's arc. The former's self-explanatory, where the duo's schemes start bearing fruits for their future plans. Damar's, on the other hand, is taking things up a notch. The seeds for his resistance were planted last episode, but having him suddenly become the Alpha Quadrant's "last best hope" after suffering such a crushing defeat at the hands of the Dominion is a great reversal! Gotta tune in next week, see how this all plays out, yes, yes, yes! OMG, I joygasm at all this wonderful arc stuffs!! It's 1997 all over again!!!

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next:
    DS9 - When It Rains...
    VOY - 11:59

2. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've not seen Someone to Watch Over Me. I saw the Battlestar Galactica episode of the same name, but it doesn't sound like they have much in common.

Juggernaut was pretty good. These B'Elanna stories can feel a bit repetitive, even though I like the character, but hey, not a bad outing. Nice sets and lighting, I recall - so much better than just running around Voyager's antiseptic corridors.

The Changing Face of Evil is pretty much the sort of episode I'd been hoping DS9 would do for a long time. I guess Tears of the Prophets was the last stab at this sort of thing, but this is a lot better. Nice space battle with the Breen, but the best part is Damar announcing his rebellion. That was a classic moment if ever there was one. I have a few quibbles - the attack on Earth and the destruction of the Defiant lacked impact, I felt, but it's easily the best episode of this closing arc so far.

3. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't mind that the writers play up the "Sisko's romance with the Defiant" angle a bit in this episode, but it doesn't have much impact because, really, the Defiant has been treated as essentially an effective tool all along, not a significant other, which is how it should be. Sisko is not married to his ship the way Picard or Kirk were.

There's too much at stake here for anyone to shed a lot of tears over a single starship. For that reason, I like the fact that the Defiant is replaced so rapidly. Get a new ship, get back in the fight.

The brutal defeat of the Federation fleet is very effective, though, as is Damar's final speech. It's a very good episode, though the second "payoff" episode, Tacking into the Wind, is even better.

4. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Maybe not. You'll have to forgive me; I haven't been on this board in months and the only board I'd been on since has threads falling back all the time. I think I did it out habit once I was done catching up.

ETA: Yeah, Damar is amazing during the final arc. I reacted much the same as you, what with the joygasm et al, just recently.

5. Sykonee

Week 28: (Ending 05.09.99)
    DS9 - When It Rains... (Airdate 05.05.99)
    VOY - 11:59 (Airdate 05.05.99)

A cantankerous, though charming in his own way, old man refuses to leave his home, impeding the development of a project that will have long-lasting benefits for future generations. It's up to a plucky woman, who forms a connection to the grumpy old man, to get him to change his mind. But enough about DS9's S1 episode Progress, let's see what VOY has for us this- oh.

I wouldn't go so far to say this is a retread of that episode, but the plot really isn't much different. There's some nice scenes scattered about, and Janeway (Kathryn, that is) learns a lesson of some sort about 'family' (I guess). *shrug* I don't hate it, but neither am I in a rush to watch 11:59 again. Guess DS9's version had better conflict with the same subject (what a shocker).

So DS9 easily takes this week, even though When It Rains... is primarily an Arc Plot episode. Plenty of setup here (Kira's party joining Damar's resistance, Bashir discovering more details of the Changeling virus, Gowron's political manipulations), which should provide great payoffs in the coming weeks (oh, I hope I hope I hope!).

Man, Kira joining Damar's resistance... There's not enough words to describe how awesome of an idea that is. It's one of those moments you suspect, during the initial Final Chapter brainstorming session amongst the writers, it was casually tossed out. Everyone in the room then froze, dumbstruck by the brilliance in seeing Kira come full-circle, and refocuses their attention to making that arc work. Sure, some of the other arcs get shuffled aside as a result (Sisko's new home and the Dukat-Winn arcs aren't as prevalent anymore), but for a turnaround of this magnitude, I'm all for it!

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next:
    DS9 - Tacking Into The Wind
    VOY - Relativity

6. Pemmer Harge

Oh no! ;)

When it Rains... is, well... fine. Nothing really wrong with it and it sets up some interesting storylines for next week, but I found it kind of forgettable in its own right.

7. Sykonee

Week 29: (Ending 05.16.99)
    DS9 - Tacking Into The Wind (Airdate 05.12.99)
    VOY - Relativity (Airdate 05.12.99)

Last week Kira got out of that (near) catsuit of hers and donned a Starfleet uniform, lookin' mighty fine in the process. This week Seven gets to do the same, lookin' mighty fine in the process. Hm, I also recall Troi looked better in a regular uniform when she wore one as well. Moral: Starfleet uniforms are sexier than catsuits?:vulcan:

This is the kind of VOY I can enjoy, a fun romp with just enough self-awareness of the ludicrous situation to keep it honest. Other touches like seeing Voyager in drydock (not to mention all the other ships in orbit of Mars!) only sweeten the deal. Relativity might have even stood a chance at winning this week if it hadn't been up against the best episode in DS9's ongoing arc yet.

Tacking... hoo boy, what an episode this one is. There's just so much I could analyze here, what with a cynical look at Klingon culture, a proper slap in the face for Damar's old ideologies, strengthening the Kira-Odo relationship (in case Chimera wasn't enough). Heck, even little things like seeing Garak be a sneak again, Kira gettin' feisty again, Vejar's direction (lots of great close-ups!). I'm in a rush though, so that's about all I'm gonna say about Tacking. It's a great episode, excellently capping off a couple arc threads while keeping some new ones simmering in the background for next week (namely Bashir's search for a cure).

VOY gave a good game this week, but DS9's at the top of its game right now. With only a couple more weeks to go, can it keep this momentum, or does VOY have a trick or two left?

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next:
    DS9 - Extreme Measures
    VOY - Warhead

8. flemm

Yeah, one of my favorites of the series. There are so many great things about it, including the whole concept of "tacking into the wind" as a way of linking the three storylines: Bashir's investigation of the virus, Worf dealing with Gowron and tension within the Cardassian rebellion.

All the little scenes in this episode are rife with tension. One of my favorites is the scene where Sisko lets Worf know that he has to do "whatever it takes." It's one of those scenes that showcases Avery Brooks' incredible presence, turning what could have been a few lines of exposition into a scene that perfectly captures the high stakes of the current conflict. It's also interesting to note that Sisko understands what has to happen before Worf can actually come to terms with it.

Damar's inner conflict is beautiful handled, Ezri has a great moment, so does Garak (more than one, actually), but what really stands out to me in this episode is just how complete and multi-faceted a character Kira is at this point. I don't think there is another episode of Star Trek where we get to see so many aspects of a single character's personality, and all of it is incredibly convincing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  9. Quinton O'Connor

Great going, Sykonee. "Tacking into the Wind" is definitely in my top five episodes from the entire series. Shame "Relativity" had to go head-to-head with this stuff; that was a good hour, too.

10. Quinton O'Connor

You know, looking back, that's gotta be my favorite Ezri moment of all.

"And I think it deserves to die." Nicole DeBoer really blows it out of the park with her performance, especially with that one line. There's no faux-Shakespearean gusto necessary for that line -- Ezri Dax is a therapist, not a Thespian. The way she states it as though she's pulling apart the pieces to this great psychological puzzle and helping Worf in the process really validates her presence on the show, imo.

11. Pemmer Harge

Tacking into the Wind is brilliant. I think it's the best episode of the Final Chapter by a long way. Not to denigrate the other episodes in this arc (well, maybe except one...), but the writing's just better in this one. The scenes with Kira/Damar and Worf/Ezri (easily Ezri's best ever moment) are some of the best DS9 ever did. The direction's fantastic as well.

The Final Chapter is very good TV, but this episode is great - just one of those times where everything is "on" and it's a joy to watch. I'd call it the best "event" episode since Call to Arms, although it might actually be better.

Oh, and Damar's henchman is Neroon!

12. Quinton O'Connor

As a first-time B5 watcher at present, this intrigues me!

13. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's makes the Worf/Ezri scene even better is that the episode was written by Ron Moore, the Klingon guy, so he's rebuking his own work over the last 10 years. If anyone has earned the right to condemn the TNG-era Klingon empire, it's him.

14. Sykonee

Week 30: (Ending 05.23.99)
    DS9 - Extreme Measures (Airdate 05.19.99)
    VOY - Warhead (Airdate 05.19.99)

Oh man. VOY had a chance this week. It really did.

After such a long string of quality, substantive episodes during this Final Arc, DS9 finally stumbles. There was such an opportunity here to see a side of the Bashir-Sloan dynamic that hadn't been explored yet, where Bashir is for once in total control of the situation, and Sloan is forced to play along. The moral quandary that could arise from such manipulative mind games against these two for stakes so high could have been greater than Inter.... This could have been the Reverse Inquisition! Heck, this could have even been DS9's take on Intersections In Real Time!!!! (that hour-long interrogation B5 episode)

But no, we get a few pat discussions early on, then it's onto the rote surreal plot mechanics of finding a cure inside Sloan head through technobabble miracle science ...oh God. Why, why, why, just why!? To give Bashir and O'Brien one more buddy adventure? Not now, not while we're in the middle of such an excellent Final Arc, where so many characters have been forced into grueling situations. What a wasted opportunity this was.

That said, the 'buddy' moments were entertaining in their own way, and the Bashir-Sloan banter, though brief, was still worth watching. Yes, it's enough to give DS9 this week as well.

Why? Because for as rote as the general plot of Extreme Measures was, it's still more interesting than a Rote Voyager Bomb Episode. Stop me if you've heard this one before: the crew discovers a piece of sentient technology that threatens to destroy them if they don't find some way to reason with it. Meh. I liked some of the Night Shift stuff (yay, seeing the unheralded aspects of a starship!), and Picardo was fun to watch as always, but the rest of this was far too by-the-books to make much of an impression.

VOY has one more chance to beat DS9 in this thread. If DS9 pulls another stumble like this week, it *might* have a chance, but VOY had better pull something amazing out of its hat for its Season Finale if otherwise.

Weekly Winner
    DS9

Next:
    DS9 - The Dogs Of War
    VOY - Equinox, Part 1

15. flemm

For an episode that I consider to be one of DS9's biggest disappointments, Extreme Measures still contains some reasonably entertaining moments and it does give Bashir and O'Brien some quality time together.

Budget-wise, the writers apparently needed to do a "bottle" episode and, from a character angle, wanted to give Bashir and O'Brien a final "buddy" adventure. It actually makes a lot of sense to tie those elements into the culmination of the Sloan/Section 31 storyline, and the basic idea of luring Sloan to the station is solid.

But the "they go inside Sloan's brain" idea should have been shot down in the writers' room in favor of something less gimmicky and clichéd.

16. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Yeah, Extreme Measures was a very disappoionting one. As an episode that was the last Section 31 outing, and also the last Bashir/O'Brien team-up, it should have had more to it. The trip into Sloan's brain was a pretty clichèd one, and it moved the focus of the story onto one of fluff.

But alas, it had some redeeming moments. Bashir trying to get O'Brien to admit how much he liked him was a hoot, and I quite enjoyed Sloan killing Sloan.

Warhead is a distinctly average episode, which is a shame as VOY's last three episodes were alright. It ruined its good run with this pap.

17. Quinton O'Connor

The preceding was VOY's only shot, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the Ferengi stuff in "Dogs of War" has received a mixed reception but the rest is ace and really sets up the finale quite well.

I like "Equinox, Part I" but I wouldn't put it above "Dogs of War"; no way.

18. Seven of Five

Nah me neither. Dogs of War is much better. I even like the Ferengi stuff in it! It helps that there isn't much of Zek or Ishka.

I did like Equinox though, or at least the first part anyway. It was good to see a Starfleet crew that was on the edge and breaking all the rules. I probably wanted to see Star Trek: Equinox more than Star Trek: Voyager by that point in the show's run. :D

19. Quinton O'Connor

Yeah, the first part of "Equinox" is definitely superior to the second part. I don't actually hate part two like a lot of folks seem to but it's just not as good.

And I liked the Ferengi stuff in "Dogs of War", too! It's just that I see it get trashed for being incredibly stupid all the time so I figured I'd throw its mixed reception out there.

20. Seven of Five

They're so hit and miss that's it's easy for people to either love them or hate them, I guess.

Episodes like Little Green Men, The Magnificant Ferengi and Body Parts are brilliantly done and I enjoy them. On the other hand though, you have dreck like Profit and Lace and Ferengi Love Songs that make me wretch, and thay are easily contenders for worst Star Trek episode of all time.