The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The bigger focus in that scene had to be on Dent and his anguish over being the one that was rescued. And Batman may have shown some surprise offscreen, but there would be no reason for him to not jump into action. It may not have been Rachael, but Dent was just as important to Batman, just for different reasons.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Right. He was there and he wasn't going to leave Dent. He probably registered a mental "oh, shit!" and got down to business.

3. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Poor Bale is getting no love and that's a shame because he was powerful in the way he nailed every facet of Bruce Wayne's complicated personality. I was reflecting on what an incredible arrogant asshole his public Bruce Wayne was (he even comes off as an insincere ass when he's praising Harvey at the party), and what a contrast that was with the intense but charming and funny private Bruce. Add on top of that what was probably the scariest Batman ever seen on film - he was a tour de force, but because the character he's playing is so much more tightly controlled and everything is happening inside him rather than being acted out in the way Joker does, the more flamboyant performances are getting all the praise. His quiet despair over Rachel's death, the tiny tremble in his voice when he speaks to Alfred about it - that was fantastic, even the way he portrayed his escalating loss of control when interrogating Joker - man, when he goes and gets the chair to block the door and Gordon goes running out of the room, I was cringing in my chair.

4. Endymion

Endymion Captain Captain

5. Pro Populo

Pro Populo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw it this morning and was completely blown away. I expected it to be good, and the reviews had all backed it up to this point, but I didn't expect to be as floored as I was. If I had to say one negative thing about the movie, it would be that the whole Hong Kong side trip was unnecessary and that they could have tightened up the whole "Mafia money trail" aspect of the story a little bit more, but that's kind of a minor complaint. It still worked well enough.

The opening bank robbery sequence was incredible -- the favorable comparisons to Heat are deserved. The hype about Ledger's performance is definitely earned as well. But I do think that the unsung hero of the whole film is Gary Oldman as Gordon. He, more than Bruce Wayne, is the story's heart, I think. I don't want to sell anyone else short, because the cast were all very good to excellent, but if Ledger gets a Best Supporting Actor nomination, then so should Oldman. He completely sells every moment he's in.

I didn't know that Dent would bite it in the end -- I sort of figured they'd leave him around for the next one. But his story was wrapped up well enough that I'm not complaining. As for who should be in the next one -- well, I don't think they should necessarily go for the classic Batman rogues' gallery again (i.e. Riddler, Penguin, etc.). But I would like to see some version of Catwoman as a romantic foil for Bruce/Bats (especially after losing Rachel in this one), and think that she can definitely be done right by Nolan. Especially to atone for that Halle Berry monstrosity.

6. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched it yesterday, and I was too much in shock to even post here right afterwards.

This movie fucking blew up my expectations with a nuclear bomb and took the ashes and pissed upon it, then created a new civilization with that piss/ash mixture and traveled to the stars. This movie ROCKED!!! :eek: I never thought any movie in this world could be so damn amazing, and this movie just nailed every bit of fun factor with seriousness in the most perfect form imaginable. Every actor was amazing for the job, and Heath Ledger's Joker was the best Joker yet! The movie had surprises aplenty and the pacing was absolutely delightful.

BEST. GODDAMN. BATMAN. MOVIE. EVER!

7. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh darn...I was hoping for another 10 years of Batsuit nipple jokes. ;)

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I agree Christian Bale seemed to be overshadowed by the other actors around but he did an excellent in his own right and he's such a good actor that he really didn't seem to bother him since he knew it made the film that much better.

9. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Loved it. And I can't wait to see it again.

...if I can get a ticket. :lol:

If Ledger doesn't get an Oscar nomination, there's no justice in this world.

10. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Above average.

It's a great flick, and certainly met my expectations, but doesn't come anywhere near the hype. Heath is awesome as the Joker, and was way better than I thought he'd be. Gordon is the frickin man. Had more detective work than the last one which I was happy about, but it needs more on Batman's part if there is a 3rd flick. Bale & Caine are kick ass once again.

Some gripes. First, the music was terrible. The composer needs to be replaced. I was about to fall asleep during the entire flick cause it was so bad. This is the first time a score has ever bored me to tears this much. Next, Bale's Batman voice is so frickin gay. Every time Batsy opens his mouth I was about to laugh my ass off cause he sounds so dumb. While the first half of the flick is well paced, the second half was pretty boring. Not saying it was too long, maybe it was poor editing. It just really dragged for that last half. The ending was also bleh and seemed really stupid to me (the whole Batsy on the run thing for murder, just dumb and made no sense no matter how you slice it).

I wish there was a rating between above average and excellent. I really liked the flick, but it's tough to not be hard on the movie when it got so much unwarranted hype. Still, much better than the first, but not on the level of Iron Man, mostly because it wasn't nearly as fun. Anyhoo, I can't wait to see it in Imax next

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Ledger really made the film. A hero is only as good as his villain, and Ledger's Joker isn't just scary as hell, he's INTERESTING. We *want* to see him and what he'll do next, and he scares the daylights out of us at the same time.

It just makes me all the more angry that someone so gifted could die in such a remarkably moronic way. What a waste.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I just got back from seeing it again. The movie is just as awesome the second time as it was the first. Also it allowed me to pick up on more things.

My only problem, still, is that I don't like Bale's Batman voice and I don't think it is entirely his fault it sounds like it's being heavly tweaked in post.

It's just too much, too strong, and too intense. It's something that really, really, REALLY needs to be fixed. I will agree, though, that Bale is a very good Batman/Bruce otherwise.

It's also interesting to me the movie has no opening credits sequence or title card. Something I think is important for a movie to have but oh well. Someone above also mentioned how the score lacks in this movie and I agree with that too. Honesly, I don't even remember it and I couldn't even begin to tell you what this Batman's "theme" is.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I didn't mind the vacuum cleaner sound they used. It was effective places.
    It plays over the trailers and the closing credits. It should be pretty familiar by now.

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

One was presented to Bale as a joke early in production though. He knew it wasn't real because he'd seen the preliminary design drawings.

15. Pro Populo

Pro Populo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing about the score is that the sound Danny Elfman introduced in the first Burton film stuck with the franchise through two movies and the animated series and (to a certain extent) Elliott Goldenthal's scores for the two Schumacher movies. That sound being the big, orchestral, quasi-gothic opera sound. And it worked for those versions.

But for Nolan's much more grittier take, it just wouldn't fly. As much as I love Danny Elfman's score, put it over Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and it just would not fit at all. And personally, while I'm not the world's biggest fan of Hans Zimmer and his often overprocessed sound, I do like quite a bit of his stuff, and while his scores with James Newton Howard for Begins and Knight are not the most listenable on their own, I think they work pretty well in the movies. They're not as interested in making a big heroic theme as they are in setting a mood, and for the Nolan Batfilms, that works. Particularly in Knight.

Personally, I would have preferred a more orchestral, less manufactured score. Especially if James Newton Howard had done it on his own. But I will defend Nolan and the composers' choices in this case, because like I said, in my opinion it works.

16. Trekker4747

Well if this Batman has a theme it's not great enough for me to know it. Look at Indiana Jones, Superman, James Bond all have iconic, recognisable, grand themes.

The same can't really be said about this Batman mostly becuase I think the music and score is uninspired.

I like the USE of music in this movie, the action scenes aren't overblown with it, infact, the music is almost absent in the action scenes, but a great, grand, theme is needed for Batman.

Straining to think about I think I can scarely hear it my head but it's not something grand and awesome that you can hum/vocalize out loud like Superman's theme or Indy's.

17. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would imagine the reason Batman took the fall for Dent was because Dent took the fall for Batman earlier in the movie.

18. Trekker4747

Dent's reputation had to be maintained in order to keep the convicted cons/mafia in prison. If what Dent did as Two-Face got out then his credibility would be harmed and it'd endanger the convictions on the mafia guys.

Batman had to take a "fall" with his reputation to maintain Harvey's (and possibly as "payment" for taking a life.)

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

1980s.

1970s.

1960s.

Why?

Much like cinematography, directing, acting and just about everything else associated with filmmaking, scoring has evolved with the times. Operatic scores such as John Williams' Star Wars and Indiana Jones, Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture and even Danny Elfman's own Batman (which is quality music but an absolutely terrible score), are elements of a filmmaking age that has passed by. I don't think that a superhero movie has a pre-requisite of a "great, grand theme" in order to work -- just look at Iron Man, which had no memorable scoring whatsoever, but worked perfectly.

20. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Harry Potter has a distinctive score too, thanks again to John Williams. But Batman not having a distinctive score doesn't bother me in the least. It seems a minor nitpick if nothing else.

Little things I liked...the exchange between Bruce and Alfred where Alfred said he'd probably be arrested once Bruce revealed himself and Bruce joking that he planned to blame everything on him. I like that how even facing such a serious situation, they could still find some humor in it.

Another thing I found interesting was Batman's excursion to Hong Kong. I know the first part of Batman Begins took place overseas but it was definitely interesting to take him out of Gotham for a little while. Effective.