insect babies never mentioned

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by magarity, Sep 12, 2012.

1. magarity

magarity Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ive finally got around to watching Enterprise thanks to Amazon Prime. Besides all the problems that I'm sure this forum has already hashed to death I'd just like to observe the in season three the crew missed a big opportunity. The captain never mentioned to the xindi that Enterprise repaired the creche on the insect ship. I suppose it would have messed up the plot line to have the insects like the humans but I think it could have worked with just the reptiles as antagonists. After all, the reptiles just shot down the insect ship anyway so they might as well have not been there.

Apologies if this has already been gone over.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Archer was way too embarrassed to bring up his unfortunate delusion of being the insect mommy, especially to the enemy.

3. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

I just mentioned this earlier today in a different thread. :)

I think Archer missed the boat on this one entirely. His actions were portrayed as having been influenced by his contact with the goo on the eggs. This compromised his judgment. But the thing is, he was right.

It was a perfect opportunity to befriend the insectoids and demonstrate to them that Humans were not their enemy. But instead of pointing out that they were caring for the Xindi young, Reed blew up the incoming Xindi ship. And you're right, he didn't even bring up his care of the insectoid offspring later in his own defense. They just kept acting like that shouldn't have happened, even though it showed compassion and mercy on their part.

4. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't recall how much we learned about the insectoid society. Although I think that Archer's actions might have had the "desired" conciliatory effect in a war between humans, I am wondering if the insectoids may be wired so differently from humans that compassion would be viewed as a weakness in an enemy, and perhaps as even more of a reason to despise and destroy an inferior, flawed species!?....

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Compared to some of the other missed opportunities and threads left dangling, most, but not all, due to the early cancellation, this one seems pretty insignificant.