Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. qbie

qbie Ensign Newbie

I actually just posted about this in the Season 3 thread, before I saw this.

I wonder if the VHS version of the two episodes edited together had the audio this way?

q

2. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had noticed that they looped the music but hadn't realised the music started earlier. Why would they do that? I was also annoyed by the early cut off of the music at commercial breaks. The scene where Picard announces they "have angaged the Borg" seems to fade out slightly earlier cutting off Ron Jones' music. I own the BoBW soundtrack and know it by heart and it also bugs me that its mangled by sloppy editing.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm stunned as well, because Season 4 (according to the US Amazon) will cost $114.99, whereas Season 3 cost almost $40 less than that! What the hell's going on? :confused:

4. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

5. Scotty

Perhaps CBS is seeing a return from their investment and doesn't feel the need to price upcoming seasons as high as they did seasons 1 and 2.

6. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

MSRP is the same on both seasons. The price will almost certainly go down (as it did for all three prior years) before the final release.

7. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am just waiting until all 7 season are out, then I will buy it as a pack.

Any word on DS9,VOY, and ENT blu ray?

8. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well... ENT S1 is already out, no word yet on DS9 and Voy.
    But if you want to support those to be released on BD, the absolutly WORST and contraproductive you could do is not buying the season packs now and waiting for a complete set!

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

DS9 and Voyager Blu-ray production is contingent on TNG Blu-ray sales, so I'd recommend buying now if you can afford it! The first season of Enterprise came out in March, and Season 2 is tentatively scheduled for this coming August; we'll get Seasons 3 and 4 next year if the schedule continues.

10. crotig

crotig Ensign Red Shirt

I found out later on about Sky purchasing the rights but at the time I wrote a protest letter to the BBC and the response I got back stated that it was their decision to stop showing it. Saving face I suppose. It was a bad thing if you didn't have Sky. LOL.

11. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good news to hear ENT season 1 is on BD.

I hadn't thought of DS9 and VOY BD being contingent on TNG sales, but if they are, I think I will get them before, in that case. I just checked Amazon and prices have come down quite a bit too!

12. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the time I just thought that the series had ended after the conclusion to Best of Both Worlds. Wasn't until a couple of years later that I saw some of the VHS tapes in one of the high street stores and didn't recognize any of the episodes. Immediately bought one (I Borg/The Next Phase), confirmed that these were indeed new episodes to me, and then promptly went about gobbling up as many of the VHS tapes as I could find to fill in the gap from BOBW.

13. Scotty

The BBC did air The Next Generation in its entirety though. I used to tape TNG from the BBC all the time. They may have been three years behind compared to the US, but they still aired the episodes ahead of the first run broadcasts on Dutch tv.

14. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The BBC were a pain though as they'd often take good shows off to show stuff like snooker instead.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Unless Target has another deal where I essentially pay five bucks for the disc, I'll likely skip the Redemption "movie".

16. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that I want to give anybody the impression I'm quietly obsessing over this or anything...

But I don't suppose TPTB can be persuaded to use the "Redemption" TV Movie release, as an excuse to go back in and restore the original framing on "Sins of the Father"? Include that episode uncropped from the safe area, as an extra?

Although, I guess then they'd get people complaining why not put "Reunion" on there as well.

Just a thought!

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  17. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

The season sets that are out are done. I wouldn't hold your breath for any redos.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hope springs eternal. :borg:

19. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Unfortunately, I feel like I may skip it too. I know I'm buying all the season sets. While I like having BOBW as a separate thing, I'm ultimately not sure it's worth it. I much prefer watching Part I with the cliffhanger ending. I wasn't blown away with the extra content (the takeaways I got from the special features were: Elizabeth Dennehy didn't know her lines, Westmore spray painted the Borg actors, and the cast loved the episodes). If that's all they can come up with for one of the greatest moments in Trek history, what can they find to make a good, but less popular, cliffhanger worth the extra purchase?

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed, except I appreciated the Elizabeth Dennehy interview. I'm excited at the prospect that they are getting some of these guest stars to come and talk about their time on the show, and Dennehy has a great personality. I hope they are able to get the guy who played Jellico, and maybe Matt Fewer too. Would be nice.