Need some help with living quarters on ship

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by The Castellan, Oct 18, 2012.

1. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

2. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Your link doesn't seem to work.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There are a variety of sizes for living quiarters. It seems the higher the rank the larger the quarters.

4. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It looks like a TOS version of a Runabout, so I would use that as a comparison. While we only ever saw the aft section of a Runabout in the TNG episode Timescapte, which is strange considering how often they were used in DS9, I don't recall if the set included beds. For something small like that, I would imagine that there are probably only bunk-beds or cots, perhaps something similar to the living quarters aboard the Defiant.

5. The Castellan

Well, the crew's only going to be one person and a robot.

6. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you have Poser or Daz Studio 4 you can load the ship up, switch to top view and you can figure out what internal space it has. Take about 20% off the rear volume for impulse engines, account for the cockpit and cargo areas and you can use the rest for your living quarters.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I would make the living quarters straight across from the door on the starboard side. Having doors in that location on both the starboard and port sides seems redundant to me.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

True enough. Although the variants on sale probably all have doors on both sides, as evidenced by the two shots available. Too bad there are no aft views...

Leaving everything aft of the roof dome to engines makes this craft quite muscular, and thus superior to moving the one guy/gal and robot around in an ordinary shuttlecraft.

But the craft would still be powerful-looking enough if the entire centerline were dedicated to payload. The roof structure around the dome does seem to extend all the way to the stern along the centerline; it would make sense for this to be reflected in the interior. So there would be a shipping container's worth of habitation space there, probably. And you could decorate it with multiple levels, as supposedly there'd be some sort of a platform or ladder for reaching the top dome at least.

Timo Saloniemi

9. The Castellan

Well, here's a few shots I made last year with this one, might help. Plus it might help someone make up their mind if they want to get this free item. ;) When you open it, it's very small, looking like a toy, and you need to crack up the scale to the maximum of 3.3 to get the proper scale with poser/daz people. Here I used the small scale when making pictures with the other ships.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Timo

Cool!

...Where is Waldo in that last picture? Still hiding atop the saucer?

(And should this perhaps go to the Art forum?)

Timo Saloniemi

11. The Castellan

Hmmm, must have typed the wrong number. ^_^;

Anyhow, there's some good images of the small ship's backside.

12. Timo

I like the design a lot, especially with the "older" nacelles. A solid TAS feel to it. The impulse engine leaves me cold, though. I'd prefer more "mechanical detail" there.

Then again, that's solid TAS, too: the animation artists generally didn't do a good job with the rear ends of the various shuttles and ships...

Timo Saloniemi