An idea for audio commentaries on seasons 3-7

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by DostoyevskyClone, Oct 2, 2012.

1. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

I would really love to hear the actors provide commentaries on some of the episodes. Realistically, there is no way they could get all the principal actors to commentate on each and every episode...so, instead of an all-or-nothing approach, how hard would it be for them to get each of the actors to provide commentary on one episode per season? Each actor could give a short list of episodes they would be willing to commentate on (i.e. favorite episodes of the actors). There could be variations on this idea (i.e. two actors commentating on one episode, which I think would be more fun actually, as they could play off each other).

I have to ask: what is stopping them from doing this? Do TPTB think it isn't worth the time, effort, and money? How much would they have to pay these actors to come in and commentate on one episode per season? I was just watching 'The Captain's Summit' on YouTube yesterday. They had Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes in the same room for over 45 minutes. These guys are still doing conventions as well, right? Obviously these guys still have the time to talk about Trek, so I assume it's an issue of money?

It does bug me a little: they've already missed the boat on season one and two. I'd love to see more discussion on this issue, or, at least, an answer as to why they can't have some kind of audio commentaries. Heck, even each actor doing an audio commentary for ONE episode out of the entire series would be something. I love hearing the actors talk about TNG, but you hear the same interview questions time and time again. I think the audio commentaries could provide something new, fun, and interesting.

2. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I would really like that. Some of the actors even went on to direct episodes and I would love to hear about their experiences both acting in front of the camera and directing behind the camera.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It all comes down to money in the end, and it has been 25 or so years.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Budget.

Each time a new set of DVDs/Blu-Rays are to be offered, various production teams pitch a concept and budget to CBS. If they win the gig, they must keep to that budget. There is always a blowout that means some plans have to be curtailed. Commentaries would be the first thing trimmed. IIRC, if they go over budget, it eats into the producers' profits, not CBS's.

With the advent of podcasts, episode audio commentaries could be created at any time. They don't have to be on the Blu-Rays sets; you play them on your computer while the disc plays on your Blu-Rays system. All some production company has to do is pitch the concept and delivery system, sign a licensing agreement, set a price (for iTunes?) and ensure that they can afford to pay the participants' prices for their contribution.

Adding new commentaries is a way of refreshing previously-released boxed sets (eg, the Klingon, Q, Borg, Time Travel and Captains sets of DVDs), some of which had new commentaries and documentaries. In a few years time, when all the TNG sets have been released as Blu-Rays, perhaps commentaries will get added, as a tempter to get people to buy (or rent) them all again. If Blu-Rays still exist; downloads from a cloud are more likely to be the next wave.