D-Day

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Emissary of the Prophets, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Emissary of the Prophets

Emissary of the Prophets Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's the 65th anniversary of the Normandy landings. A landmark day in the history of the world. There won't be many veterans left to celebrate the next anniversary. Spare a thought today for all the brave souls that stormed the beaches of Northern France, especially those not fortunate enough to make it home. They did it to secure the freedom of Europe from the tyranny of Hitler & the Nazis.
    So, to all the Tommys, GIs and other Allied troops, whether on land, sea or in the air, thank you. You made the world a better place.

2. Bloodwhiner

Bloodwhiner Commodore Commodore

... and while your at it spend an extra moment in recollection for the brave men who fought Battle of Midway 67 years ago today. They are too often overshadowed and forgotten.

3. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

Very moving. I'm watching C-Span coverage this morning.

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, I always maintain that Midway was the most important US battle of the war, because a major defeat of Japan allowed breathing room for the president's Germany First policy. If the Republicans, campaigning heavily on a "strike back at Japan" platform, had made bigger gains in the 1942 elections, it would have been a lot harder for FDR to commit so heavily to Europe. The victory at Midway allowed most Americans to be satisfied with the US counter-attack in the Pacific.

I was also watching the ceremonies on C-Span. It is always good to see the veterans getting the recognition they deserve, and it is moving to see those who actually served that are still able to participate.

--Justin

5. ancientone51

ancientone51 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

/**

to all veterans,especially D-Day and Midway

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes indeed. Thank you to all our veterans, especially those who served during these two battles, even though admittedly, I know more about D-Day than Midway, which might be a bit unfortunate.

7. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

As a history buff, and an aspiring history teacher, I find it depressing how fewer and fewer people are aware of important days like this. Such dates as this...and November 11, and December 7, deserve to be remembered. In my US History and Government class this year, we spent a mere 20 minutes covering the important battles of WWII. We also watched a 15 minute clip of Saving Private Ryan to "get a feel for what it was like", to quote my teacher. Nice attempt, but if I had my way, an entire class period would be devoted to D-Day, possibly more. Heck, we only spent 20 minutes on the American Revolution... :(

But, back on topic...to all those that took part in this great endeavor, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

8. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

TCM aired Saving Private Ryan last night - partly in a tribute to Speilberg, but no doubt that particular movie was selected because of D-Day.

Great movie with a very moving ending. Alot of sacrifices were made that day and in the days that followed.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

We must always remember the people who fought to protect us and keep us free; they are largely responsible for the privileged lives we lead today (despite all the complaining that many people do).

To me, that's even more disturbing than neglecting WWII. What do they concentrate on?

10. kv1at3485

kv1at3485 Commodore Commodore

Or more accurately, they did it to make sure the Red Army didn't get too much of Western Europe. The European war was won in summer 1943. Overlord was just insult to injury.

11. Bloodwhiner

Bloodwhiner Commodore Commodore

I woke up to how little attention is paid to WW2 in schools when my then 5th grade son came home and said he knew more about the history of the war than his history teacher and had corrected her on several points. I found how that was true when she sent a note home complaining about his showing disrespect by arguing with her. I answered that she should be happy that someone was present to insure the students learned the correct information.

pretty sad

12. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

I feel no shame in corecting my history teachers. I do it respectfuly of course. Rj, Ive found that we focused on policy and industry more than anything else. Although, the rate we cover things bothers me. We covered the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and current events in the last week and a half. :( To fast for my taste.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I agree. I was dissatisfied with the extent they covered early American History when I was a kid and it sounds much worse now-- of course there was a lot less history when I was a kid. :rommie:

Policy and industry. Sheesh.

14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I once got into trouble in history for pointing out that the story of Henry VII finding his crown on a thorn bush after the defeat of Richard III, along with the line 'a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse' were inventions of Shakespeare and not actually proven facts about the Battle of Bosworth Field. This didn't go down well.

15. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

My question as well. 20 minutes on the American Revolution, 20 minutes on WWII...

No wonder the kids today have no real knowledge at all of even the basics of history.

Note that this was a U.S. History and Government class though. Bet they spent about 90% of the time on the November election.

16. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw: You probably received the same dirty look I got from one of my high school history teachers when I had the audacity to point out in class that Mary I of England aka known as Bloody Mary (Mary Tudor) and Mary I of Scotland aka Mary Queen of Scots (Mary Stuart) were NOT the same individual.

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

17. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I would like to remember the British and Allied troops who bravely went to the beaches of Normandy. I would also like to remember the flotila of small ships who bravely went afterwards to bring the survivors home to Blighty.

18. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

If we're sharing stories of correcting history teachers, my history teacher was going on about the Roman Gods, Aphrodite, Ares, Zeus etc. etc. I pointed out to him they were the Greek Gods and he was wrong. He belittled me in front of the whole class, going on about his degrees in history, and the time he spent on archaeological digs, etc. and dared me to prove him wrong. Which I did, and he dismissed the book, and internet site I used as wrong. :lol:

On the topic of D-Day though I think it's such a disgrace that it seems we've chosen to commemorate such bravery from people fighting for freedom by large parts of Europe going and giving so many votes to far right and fascist parties.

19. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

What's sad is most people don't know the Battle of Dieppe and how important and crucial that battle was so that D-Day could occur.

I also find it strange that there were multiple 'D-Days' in Japan and that the Japanese side largely goes ignored.

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

There was a lot of harrumphing in Blighty because the French and USA decided they were the only ones who actually did anything at D Day, thus omitting to invite any prominent Brits, like Her Maj for instance. A polite word from that nice Mr Obama into Mr Sarkozy's beautifully tailored ear sorted him out, legend has it.