Emergent Closure?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Phanton, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Phanton

Phanton Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There is at least one episode with what I consider an unfinished storyline. In its own right it’s telling 'a' story of the crew’s battle to save the ship and a life form that is 'somehow' growing in the cargo bay, yeh yeh, the crew are always saving new life forms et al.

(TNG) S7E23 - Emergence - The story builds to a climax when the new life form emerges from the Enterprise and floats off, leaving the viewer wondering what the hell that was all about and where it’s off to? Is it going to start a planet of multicolour tube babies? Is it going to get broken up by a crowd at a rave and banded about as glow sticks? Will it encounter the Klingons who go on the eat it?

The life form is suggested to be the sum of the crew’s experiences /library of stories (shudders) but it leaves the viewer hanging by this awful thread never offering any kind of closure imho.

I need the satisfaction of that ‘ah ha’ moment…
    Can anyone offer me closure?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Story by Brannon Braga, Teleplay by Joe Menosky. You can't expect episodes by those two guys to make sense.

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the "closure" was meant to be that this new form of life goes off to discover the galaxy in its own special way and have lots and lots of fun adventures.

Personally I hope it fell into the nearest black hole and was never heard from again. Dreadful, dreadful episode.

4. Phanton

I really think it needs a second episode to explain what it was all really about, how it got there, why it was there and where it went. There could be time travel, love, action thrills & spills, tears and laughter. It’d be great.

When Troy is impregnated by an entity and subsequently gives birth it's all explained at the end, when Barkley is reprogrammed in the Nth degree - explained, Night Terrors & Clues all mysteries explained. For all we know the tube thing that grows in the cargo bay is a Borg probe! One of the main characters on the holodeck was a murdering gangster! Is the life form a badly written murder mystery set loose on the Galaxy? Shouldn’t they have destroyed it when they had the chance?

I liked the idea of the ship becoming alive if not hosting an entity of some kind; I thought the entity was going to turn out to be something completely interesting.

Cause and Effect style if the Universe is one big time loop and déjà vu are distortions in the dekyon field then I send my own thought dekyon emissions to alter the timeline thus allowing this episode to make sense, once there I will create a static warp shell and collapse the nonsense.

/rant

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It went to the Delta Quadrant and befriended Captain Janeway and Tom Paris's warp 10 salamander kids. They became the best of friends and never bothered anyone in the Trek Prime Universe again. The end.

6. BigJake

Perfect! Print it!

7. Phanton

buwhahahahaha it's oh so true - I nearly choked on my coffee reading this!

8. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't they go back in time to create the Borg and send those throat aliens off to Remmick?

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah sure. Why not? They probably had something to do with the whale probe, too.

10. BigJake

* Gasp! *

They... they were the whales! They travel back in time and become Order Cetacea! It all fits!

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

We haven't heard from any of them because they all settled down in that proto-universe from DS9's "Playing God".

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

They started a Twitter account where they post funny quotes from Enterprise crew logs and go on about everything the Enterprise crew has ever hushed up.

@ENTERPRISEDUH Duras father real traitor not Mogh Worf took the heat #KlingonHonor #Kmpec