Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, the Redemption standalone will depend on price, and extra content.

I paid £6 for BOBW and was more than happy with the additional content. If Redemption offers up another retrospective and another commentary track, and I can snap it up for £10 or less then I'll be picking it up. If the price is >£10 then I'll just wait until it's not. If I deem the extras not worth it, then I simply won't bother.

Plus it saves waiting a few more months to finish watching Redemption! :lol:

2. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Ronny Cox (Jellico) has already been confirmed as being interviewed.

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ That is some pretty freakin' sweet news!

Cross that one off the list. Ashley Judd, Matt Frewer, Michelle Forbes, Richard Poe and Jerry Hardin to go though.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In fairness, that wasn't exactly what I was asking for.

TV Movies are something of a redo. Taking a handful of episodes per season set and presenting them in a slightly different way.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

For me, there was simply nothing there making it worth a separate purchase not even as a curiosity. They clipped a few seconds and gave us a couple of special features that I watched once but will never watch again.

If they're going to do these, they need to make them worthwhile as stand-alone purchases. Insert deleted scenes (if there are any), give me a 16:9 option as well as 4:3 and show me the 'Battle of Wolf 359' via CGI and bring Rod Jones in to score it. Plus, seamless branching so I can either watch it the way it was originally intended or with all the extra goodies.

Outside of some pretty packaging, The Best of Both Worlds stand-alone was a huge missed opportunity.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the only reason I bought BOBW was becasue it ended up being a $5 bonus disc. I can live with that, not the $20 price that it could have been. I liked the special feature, and I might watch the episode with the commentary, but they cut out what made that such a memorable cliffhanger and in the end might have done damage to the episode. The way it originally aired is so much better, even if I do need to go up and change discs.

I really wonder what kind of features will be on the Redemption set. If it's stuff about developing the Worf Arc, that should be on the season 4 set, and it was touched upon briefly in season 3. I'm not sure, other than getting a $5 price what will be on the set that would make me buy it.

I also agree with you, BillJ that they need to make these sets memorable. What can they do to make the purchase worth it? The commentaries are nice, but they got to go all out. Maybe have musical cues (A missed opportunity on the BOBW set was that they didn't talk about the Music as it's own feature, or even do something special with the score), deleted scenes, really get into why and how these episodes were developed.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, when I wrote this, I was thinking about guest stars they could get and Jellico was the first to come to mind. I remember reading the article, so it's cool that Cox is going to do that. I think the Actress who I should have mentioned was Michelle Forbes. I would love to hear what she had to say about her time on TNG, the direction of the character and in Season 7, the whole Maquis and will she or won't she be on DS9. I liked Ensign Ro so to hear Forbes being interviewed (And maybe mention her time with Ron Moore on BSG) would be awesome.

8. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would go a step further. I had hoped to see a 3D version, as well as a 2.35.1 cinematic option, the ability to seemlessly branch to alternate takes, a reimagined score by Hans Zimmer, a Klingon language audio track and an iPad app with which I can change the colour of Guinan's hats.

9. BillJ

Regardless of what you think of my suggestions, the only thing The Best of Both Worlds does for me is waste space on my entertainment shelf. All so I can have a version that cuts out one of the best bits of the entire episode and does so in a sloppy way. :p

10. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That BoBW got its own release with exclusive extra features is surprising and rather unprecedented. It's a little something for the casual fan who can't afford the season boxsets. You and I both know that the folks at CBS neither have the time or the money to add even more special features (a shame because I would've loved that Klingon audiotrack;)) I'm still thankful that we're getting to see these episodes in wonderful HD and am more than satisfied with the special features that we ARE getting.

11. BillJ

But we're getting them in HD anyway on the season sets. It just feels like a lazy money grab. Do we think that casual fans would honestly mind a beefed up version of the episodes? I would imagine casual fans would rather have the experience beefed up vs. commentary tracks and blooper reels that they'll likely never use. :shrug:

12. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I don't think its a money grab at all, I think its a good idea. Not everyone who watched TNG will want to purchase the blu-ray season sets as it is a big commitment (money). OTOH they might be willing to part with a much smaller amount to get their favourite episode in HD and they might be so impressed with it they go and buy the season boxsets anyway.

I would imagine more releases of other episodes and box sets (Q Set, Best of TNG set) for those who do not want to pay several hundred dollars/pounds/euros for the whole collection.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

No problem with them offering briefer sets for casual fans, but I continue to object to those sets including special features unavailable on the supposedly 'definitive' season sets. They're nothing but a cash grab. Par for the course with Trek on home video, I suppose, but as annoying as always.

14. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

What would you have removed from the S3 set to get the BOBW features to fit?

15. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not even to fit, necessarily, but also to pay for them. (The BOBW features weren't created until after the separate disc release existed, per interviews on... TrekCore?... with the people behind the new special features.)

16. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Precisely. We'd never have a 30 MINUTE retrospect from BOBW, a dedicated Gag Reel or an Audio Commentary if the single-disc wasn't commissioned. It gave the team a new budget to work with to CREATE new VAM.

Plus - it's a wonderful introduction for people who haven't seen the season sets or can't afford them yet.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

For those who went to the BOBW theater event, do the blu-ray extras really cover that much more ground? Because I went to that, and feel like I saw most of the documentary and gag reel already...

18. BillJ

But I thought the season sets were suppose to be the definitive sets? I can't believe they were going to do them without material about the episodes considered to be TNG's defining moment.

I mean, it's ludicrous that they were planning to do a commentary track for Booby Trap but not for The Best of Both Worlds. I have no proof, but I imagine many of those features would've been on the seasons three/four set if not for the idea to squeeze Trek fans for a little bit more.

Went to Wal-Mart today and there were no season three sets and six copies of BOBW. I talked to the associate and he said the only copy he had sold so far was the one he sold to me last week...

19. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

If the single-disc wasn't commissioned, then a lot of the existing S3 material would have been cut out to fit in stuff regarding BOBW. It's not one or the other, it would have been less of both. Doing the separate disc gives us the most possible material to view.

Not everything is a grand conspiracy to empty your wallet.

20. BillJ

But splitting the cost/space requirement across two seasons would meant that much of it still could have been done. I mean, would've anyone been heart-broken if we had got a The Best of Both Worlds I commentary track instead of one for The Bonding?