So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just got Ceremony of Loses from Amazon. Gonna make my way through that before I get back to Vanguard.

2. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished reading Avatar, Book Two. The DS9 relaunch is starting off well. I'm pausing to read Terry Pratchett's latest, Raising Steam, then continuing DS9 with Abyss.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Currently reading the TNG Section 31 novel Rogue. I enjoyed how the book picks up immediately after First Contact. Surprised to see the total death toll from the FC Borg encounter listed at 194. Had no idea the losses were that high.

4. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Yesterday I finished Leverage: The Bestseller Job by Greg Cox. I really enjoyed it and wish there were more novels based on the show (I've already read all three).

I then read the H.P. Lovecraft story "Polaris".

I'm now reading Star Trek: The Fall: Revelation and Dust by David R. George III.

5. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Posted my review of S.C.E. #6: Cold Fusion by Keith R.A. DeCandido.

Planning on reading Looking for Alaska by John Green this weekend.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently re-read A Soldier's Duty by Jean Johnson and then read the sequel An Officer's Duty.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

My wife and I are both trying to read the same copy of Frank Tallis's The Sleep Room, so who knows how long that will take, depending on who's grabbed it at the time...

8. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading Tribulation by Phillip W. Simpson.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm on the third book of The Lost Fleet series, and I'm really enjoying the series so far.

Also, I got a lot of books today. Every month the public library has a sale of all the books it gets donated, which helps support the library. They get so much that there is a section where, near the end of a sale, they will let you fill a plastic bag for 50 cents (or a big bag/box for $1). So, I got 16 books for 50 cents, most of them sci fi and all of them in fairly good condition. Here's the list of what I got (I got 16 books in total)

Foundation by Issac Asimov
    Foundation and Empire by Issac Asimov
    Second Foundation by Issac Asimov
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
    The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton
    Underworld: Blood Enemy by Greg Cox
    Sten by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

The last eight books are all from the generally awesome Dragonlance series

Dragonlance Chronicles: Dragons of Autum Twilight Weis & Hickman - I've read this one, but I don't own it. Its very good, and its the only one I bought today that I've read
    Dragonlance: Preludes Volume 1 by Thompson & Carter
    Dragonlance: Preludes Volume 2 by Kirchoff and Niles
    Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic Volume 1 by Mary Kirchoff
    Dragonlance: The Elven Nation Volume 1 by Thompson & Carter
    Dragonlance: HEROES Volume 3 by Michael Williams
    Dragonlance: HEROES II Volume 1 by Richard Knnak
    Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age Volume 3 by Jean Rabe

I'm a bit unsure about the Foundation books and Martian chronicles, because I'm not a huge fan of old Sci Fi, but at around 3 cents a piece it was worth it. I also know that the Dragonlance books not written by Weis & Hickman tend to get mixed reviews, but I like the series and at the price I had to get them. I've heard of the Andromeda Strain, so I figured I'd try it out. Sten and Treasure Island I just grabbed to fill space in the bag, although I'll definitely try them.

10. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You definitely got your money's worth! My local library sells its surplus books via a seller online, so opportunities like you've described sound incredible to me.

FWIW, the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury is wonderful.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reading The Stuff of Dreams because I needed a Trek fix.

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I just finished the third book (Hellfire).

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hope you like Blood Enemy! Good to know that book is still out floating around . . . .

14. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading Star Wars: Kenobi by JJM. Really great so far. Makes me feel really sad for ObiWan. As far as he knows his son/ best friend turned evil and he was forced to kill him. Then he goes from the life of a war hero to a lonely desert hermit until the day he dies. Poor guy.

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading The Fall Ceremony of Losses by David Mack.It's a great book with a very exciting story.:bolian:I look forward to reading the rest of the upcoming books in this series.

16. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In the last week I've read Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett, DS9: Abyss, Tribal SQL and 4:15 from Paddington.

Enjoyed Raising Steam - nice to have another Moist von Lipwig book!

I'm not sure what to make of Abyss - it didn't really feel like DS9, it felt like an attempt at a Bond novel. Nice to see Ezri starting to move towards the character she is in the Destiny/Pact -era novels - though I enjoy her character in those books, having not read the post-finale DS9 books until now, it had seemed like an abrupt character shift.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Last night I finished Star Trek: The Fall: Revelation and Dust by David R. George III. I really enjoyed it, but never really got into the Keev chapters, every time I got to one I just wanted to hurry up and get back to the DS9 story.

I then read "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" by H.P. Lovecraft.

I'm now reading Supernatural: Carved in Flesh by Tim Waggoner.

19. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought I'd give Mutineer by Mike Shepherd a go. After that, it'll probably be the next Fall novel.

20. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Just finished raising steam by sir terry pratchett(which sadly was not very good at all), and the first collection of grant morrison's batman & robin run, which was fairly fun.

A grant morrison headed collection, the absolutlely massive DC one million will be my next read. Really looking forward to that, as I didn't even remotely have the money to keep up with everything at the time - I think all I read back then was the flagship JLA series (this was during grant morrisons legendry world war 3 run) and starman(a superb james robinson collection that really brings to life starman and his city).

Will probably take me a while to get through since there's no way I can lug that thing onto the train!