Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JarodRussell, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is genius, somebody needs to invent this immediately. :lol:

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem is the concept of the almighty God, the omnipotent, all-knowing and always-right entity that is the creator of everything. I personally disagree with many decisions he makes in the Bible. For example outcasting Adam and Eve and punishing them in a seriously gruesome manner. It always looked to me like he had a serious anger management issue. Or when he talked JJ Abrahams into attempting to kill his own son as a "test of faith". Or when he picked a group of humans that he liked and decided that all others that he didn't like can be exterminated at will. That God is a terrible, terrible character that ABUSES his power on several occasions. I personally think that we, humans, in general behave morally superior to the God described in the Bible. How dare I?

At the same time he's also supposed to be all-loving and all-forgiving. But that clashes with the concept of Hell and all the stuff God did to punish and exterminate people who happened to disagree with him.

I guess faith is the ability to overlook all these contradictions. If the Bible says Earth and men were created in 6-7 days, but science says Earth is 4 billion years old, then the Bible just must be right.

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I wish this guy would expand his theory

The Norse Creation story is so much more interesting that the Bible Creation story.

4. JarodRussell

It has more action and lens flares! ;)

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The whole of the Eddas are more fun and interesting.

6. JarodRussell

My personal pet theory is that both could coexist.

Greek, Norse, Egyptian gods are mostly the same. Several gods with certain jobs they do and values they represent, and one leader. You can see that pattern in a lot of religions across the globe.

Then there is that other god. Perhaps he belonged to the other ones but was exiled or he was just miserable and hungry for power. He picked a certain group of humans and he told them that he is the one God, and that all others are false Gods. With many cheap parlor tricks like burning bushes and all that, he managed to start a revolution.

I guess the Christian God fought a battle against all the others, and maybe he won. Or the reason why we have never heard of any of those gods in the last 2000 years is that they all killed each other. You could kinda go a bit sci fi with that story.
    Perhaps the final option he had was to take human form and tried to hide amongst humans. And guess who nailed him on a cross: Romans who believed in the other gods.

;)

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Yeah. They are called "Christians". The rest of us don't care much for it (except for its literary value, which is undeniable).

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I would call that embracing ignorance. It is bliss after all.

Oh dear, you are in a serious need of a major dose of AronRa.

Here are 2 1/2 hours of a rundown of what kind of scientific evidence for evolution we have (and this is basically just the index!).
    I dare you to watch it and tell me again evolution is not proven beyond reasonable doubt.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQZ4f9f_Yw[/yt]

9. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would call "Poe" but obvious trolling attempt is obvious.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If he is omnipotent why did it take 6-7 days? He could have done it in the blink of an eye.

He sounds lazy to me.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy shit.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Probably Osha regulations, they're a bugger.

13. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I believe it was Aristotle who said the mind left unexplored is a life wasted. I think you've demonstrated this pretty well in one post.

I studied the Bible at university as part of my degree. I also studied the Rig Veda and ancient Egyptian cartouches. As palaeography goes they are fascinating insight into the peoples who created them. As an absolute description of the world, not so much.

14. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to. Do you have any recommendations for reasonable people to check out? My experience w/ Glenn Beck has shown that he does not fit the description.

This is brilliant! :lol:

15. JarodRussell

And why did he create beings that make mistakes?

16. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I've always wondered if G-d's command to not eat from the Tree of Knowledge was just a simple case of reverse psychology.

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

he knew the outcome either way, presumably. If he didn't want things to happen the way they did, he should have put the tree where it was safe.

18. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

In the span of time between G-d's creation of Man and Man's fall by eating of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge (of Good and Evil), what was our original purpose? Were Adam and Eve (and Adam's ex-wife Lilith?) just suppose to hang out in the Garden of Eden? What would they be doing? What was their purpose? Because it sounds like a simple zoo. Let's make Man in our own image, G-d said, but then let's leave him locked up in an enclosure.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

God was lazy and needed someone he could subcontract the naming of the animals to. After that he needed to fire Adam, so he came up with the bogus Tree of Knowledge rule.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Given all the "features" of this universe, it has the feel of a prototype. I think we're the Beta-verse. After screwing around with us, he went on to create something really nifty that we'll never get to see.