Is 'Mass Effect' "The Most Impt. Sci-Fi Universe of Our Generation?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Feb 23, 2012.

1. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Re: Is 'Mass Effect' "The Most Impt. Sci-Fi Universe of Our Generation

Do yourself and your son a favour and go and play the first 2 games first.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Now sing "I Am the Very Model of a Scientist Salarian." ;)

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This. They're under twenty bucks a piece now.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I have to agree that for the time being, Mass Effect's impact doesn't extend much beyond the gaming community. That may change with the movie (which BTW, was only announced last summer IIRC and is still in the writing/pre-pre production phase) but then the track record of movies based on video games is hardly encouraging...on the other hand, the track record of movies based on comic books was similarly poor until 'Blade' and look where we are now.

Still, if what you want is a good linear storyline (and don't mind being spoiled and/or have no intention of playing) then I suggest you have a look at the video I linked to on the previous page. It does very well in capturing the tone feeling of the game and is not *just* a bunch of stitched together cut scenes. Seriously, I was impressed at how they were able to condense and distil 10-20 hours of gameplay into 10 minutes of cohesive narrative.

Wholeheartedly agree! I bought Mass Effect in a Steam sale just a few months before ME2 was released. At the time I knew *nothing* about it, just that it had good reviews and there was plenty of hype for the sequel. Plus, it was only a fiver, so what the hell, right!?

Best. Purchase. Ever. And this is coming from someone who's never been much of an RPG gamer. Seriously, I *still* haven't completed KOTOR and Oblivion (another Steam sale dice roll) bored the crap out of me.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

True, but at least BioWare has stated that they are maintaining close involvement in the production.

Also, you should definitely take the time to finish KOTOR. It's still my favorite BioWare game, and has influenced a lot of what they've done since.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Hence my comparison to the changing fortunes of comic book based films.

As for KOTOR...I tried, I really did. I slogged through the first planet (so very dull!) followed by Dantooine (only slightly less dull) then Tattooine which I really enjoyed (it felt like walking through an old Ralph Mcquarrie painting!) and Kashyyyk (so so) but then I got to the water city planet and it all came crashing to a halt for me. Endless, samey corridors populated by nothing but smug Sith Imperials and side quests that frankly, sent me right to sleep.

As I said, I'm not much of an RPG gamer and the old D&D inspired game mechanics really hinders my enjoyment. I mean seriously? My character fires a blaster at something that's trying to chew her guts out and she misses...four times in a row...Sod that for a game of conkers.[/thread derailment]

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I can understand where you're coming from. Even today, with their more modern games, I find them highly formulaic. There's one planet in Mass Effect, or at least part of it that really resembled one of the planets in KOTOR to the point that it made me feel like I'd been there before, even before having played through it entirely. It's something in the way of their level design, everything seeming so flat in terms of architecture, it's like they design things with only one axis in mind, and no x, y, and z.

8. HotRod

As far as I am concerned, picking up ME3 without having ever played the first two would be like reading/watching "The Return of the King" without having seen or read "The Fellowship of the Ring" or "The Two Towers". You might be able to enjoy aspects of it, but you still wouldn't have a damn clue whats going on. You would truly not be able to fully appreciate the game for what it is.

9. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Oh, I'm well aware of what the thread is about, but I've also found it annoying anytime some momentarily popular movie, show or game proclaims "It's the next "Star Wars!" or "Is momentarily popular movie, show or game the next "Star Wars?"

Basically one of the questions posited by one of the links in the very first post in this thread. :)

And Star Wars is not "sci-fi", per se......it's usually defined as "science fantasy", which is apt.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't go that far. Bioware have stressed that they've designed a new auto-branching dialogue system that adjusts the level of exposition based on whether or not the player is starting a new game or importing a ME2 save. The stated intent being that veterans aren't bored by redundant explanations while new players aren't kept in the dark.

Still, while I don't think playing the first two games is a *must*, it is definitely preferable and well worth the investment. More than anything though, playing the first two games will give you a connection to the characters and their growth that you can't possibly get from any amount of exposition.

The level design is only part of it. To me Taris just felt so empty and bland on my first attempted playthrough that it just sucked all the fun out of the game (of which there was little thanks to the aforementioned combat system.) Later playthroughs weren't so bad as I knew what needing doing and went directly from A to B. But then, with an RPG game, you really want that sense of rewarding exploration.

But yes, the flat level design wasn't a good idea. It wouldn't have been so bad if there was actually something to explore. Instead all those areas really are is a cross-roads to get to slightly less boring areas. At least with the Presidium in ME you get a sense of exploration and there's a number of things to do.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  11. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's as bad as that. Remember ME2 had to be tooled to be playable by PS3 and other platforms where ME1 was never (and apparently will never) be released. They did workarounds to allow for the fact many players will have never seen ME1. I certainly had no trouble getting into the story; even the DLC missions involving Liara were easy to understand - the characters had some history, I get it.

ME3 likewise is going to be tooled in such a way that, at the least, it makes sense to people who came in with ME2, like myself. I just completed ME2 twice - one with a male Shepard
    who romanced Miranda but screwed up and got Kelly and half the crew killed on the collector ship
    and one with a female Shepard
    who saved everyone and went all L-Word with Kelly Chambers
    . So it'll be interesting to see how the "carryover" saves work on those. If I have time I might create a third save file where Male Shepard
    saves everyone and romances Tali
    too. But I want to see who actually appears in the third game; I've only heard speculation as to what characters actually appear, and I'm sure there were a few people who were disappointed that
    any characters their Shepard romanced in ME1 only appeared in a cameo in ME2 and as a result in order to maintain those relationships the player has to forego most of the flirting (and love scenes) involved in character interaction in ME2.

I'm still undecided if I want to buy the game outright when it comes out next week or if I should wait till the inevitable DLC special edition comes out later.

And I do hope someone at Bioware or wherever changes their mind and puts out a PS3 port of the first game. It would make for a heck of a good box set.

Alex

12. HotRod

You will NEVER see Mass Effect on the PS3. Microsoft owns the rights to it and have stated multipule times that they won't let it be ported to Sony.

Plus I wouldn't hold my breath for a Special Edition. There was never one for ME2 released for 360. Sure, the PS3 edition came with a good chunk of the DLC, but thats only because they were in a sense, trying to sell a year old game as new.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Calling a DLC special edition "inevitable" presupposes there a good reason to thing that. There isn't. As HotRod points out they never did any such thing with the previous two games.

The closest thing I can see happening is a remastering of the whole trilogy some 5+ years down the line.

14. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Wow these cutscenes really look like a trailer from a film. Great universe stuff in here. Characters, story arcs, etc.
    thanks for the link.

I've seen a few ME trailers on YouTube and the ME3 trailers and cutscenes just look so much better and they really do look more like a film.

Here is ME2 in 10 minutes (spoilers also) length 13 minutes.

15. jefferiestubes8

I saw this today

‘Mass Effect’ Isn’t Just The New Star Trek – It’s Better
    http://gamerant.com/mass-effect-better-than-star-trek-robk-135630/

16. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

How does something "come across" to someone as anything when they have never played the games or read any of the books? They had a tough time getting the Halo movie off the ground because it was going to cost an estimated $250 million production budget to make it credible, and they didn't get it rolling into pre-production until after the franchise hit its high peak of popularity around Halo 2-3.

It's got quite a big back story and mythology. http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is actually how my second play though ended up working out. My first one I wasn't able to hook up with anyone and I lost several people, but I can't remember who. I really like Yvonne Strahovski from watching Chuck, so both times I tried to romance her, but the first time I wasn't able to get with anyone and the second time I unintentionally ended up with Tali. Not that I disliked Tali she's actually one of my favorite characters, I just wanted to get with Miranda more.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah I know, I just thought posting too many links at once might discourage. ;)

If you check out the uploader's channel there's a number of very cool ME3 fan trailers that they put together. The 'Dawn of War' one is an easy favourite!

19. jefferiestubes8

Article this week

How Mass Effect Challenges Sci-Fi's Greatest Achievements
    http://m.ign.com/articles/1219777

20. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

I believe that ME3 is going to come with 'ME1 & ME2' storyline disc so you can set up your storylines depending on your decisions.