Klingon Tea Ceremony (Up the Long Ladder)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Shatnertage, May 1, 2010.

1. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was watching Up the Long Ladder this afternoon (courtesy of SciFi on the DVR) and was struck by a few things about the Klingon Tea Ceremony that Worf and Pulaski partake in that I thought I'd share.

First, it's a case of good writing for Pulaski--I just can't see Crusher doing this kind of thing. It added a lot to her character--instead of just being a crotchety female McCoy (as many people, unjustly I think, write her off), she's an adventurous, tolerant woman. Not that McCoy wasn't adventurous or tolerant, but you usually think of him as the guy taking the piss out of Mr. Spock.

Second, would you invite a co-worker over to watch you eat, say, a delicious slice of peanut butter cheesecake if you knew she was deathly allergic to peanuts? It seems like a strange way to make friends, but it makes sense on the level that Worf was reciprocating Pulaski's respect towards his honor by sharing something from his culture with her.

Finally, and I've got to say this, did anyone else pick up on the possibility that this led to a...coupling? Pulaski's line, "Worf! You're a romantic," followed by Worf bragging about the love poetry precedes them sharing a drink "of death" together. Then, just before we cut away, Pulaski says, "How about some of that poetry?'

For all I know there've been reams of fan fiction written about this possibility. Or not.

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I love that particular scene. We get to see a little more complexity from Worf, and I get to see Dr. Pulaski continuing to be awesome. :D

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was a good one. I like the moment in Time Squared, where Riker cooks eggs for everyone. They had some gems in season 2

As for a Pulaski/Worf romance, highly unlikely, but I definitely could see a fast friendship developing. In fact she would have warmed up to Data eventually too, & would have undoubtedly earned Picard's admiration as well. I think Riker already liked her spunk & tenacity. There did seem to be a fair sight more open camaraderie amongst the crew, in those days

4. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The romance idea's admittedly a little thin. I'm not one of those people who reads something into every lingering glance (i.e., Wesley and the Traveler), but something about the way she said, "How about some of that poetry got me thinking."

And I think that Worf would find something very attractive about a woman who was willing to risk death to appreciate Klingon customs. We know how strongly he felt about his heritage, and this would mean a lot to him. I could just see him opening up to Pulaski in a way that he wouldn't with anyone else. That doesn't necessarily mean a sexual relationship, but there's definitely a foundation there for a lasting friendship. It's a pity we didn't get more of it.