Will you be able to resist boot legged copies of STID?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DarthTom, Apr 29, 2013.

1. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Nope.

If I want to know the plot before it comes out I can just follow the reviews and Wikipedia. It's all out there.

Otherwise I'll either see it in the theater or wait for the BLuu-ray.

I do think the prevalence of bootlegs is a good argument for simultaneous worldwide release, but that's another question.

2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Will you be able to resist boot legged copies of STID?

YES

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. Crappy picture and sound? No thanks!

4. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I must admit, I did see the nine minute preview that appeared online a few months ago. I'm sure most of us did. But that's as far as I would go. The quality is just too bad to bear when it comes to a two hour movie. And for me it's only one week to go, next wednesday I will attend the double feature of XI and STID ... although that's gonna be a looong week!

5. TheCutestofBorg

TheCutestofBorg Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought it was just me, but many of the scenes they are showing in the new trailers/commercials seem like they copied quite a few scenes from the first movie. The jumping out of something into space for a sort of space skydive was in the 1st movie. It looks like it will be in the 2nd. Punch it. That was also in the 1st movie.
    There are other scenes too. Am I the only one who noticed this?

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No, not really. One of the reviews I remember reading said something to the effect that the space jump was on the way to becoming a new Star Trek Thing, and that Kirk still seems to be hanging from stuff by his fingertips quite a bit.

7. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will. I have never had a boot-legged copy of any movie. I will wait for it to come out on DVD and that will be my copy. Until then, I will see it in the movie theater (and paying for the tickets). I am a straight arrow on this subject. No need to cheat the makers of the movie from making a profit.

8. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I won't do a bootleg ever. When I was a kid, my friend's Dad had a boot leg of Return of the Jedi, and we watched it. His Dad was a real dick, and was laughing about how he essentially got the movie for free. I never thought that was cool after that.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. By this time next week I'll have seen it. Then, bring on Christmas and the DVD!

10. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I'm willing to bet that the rest of the world is so happy and proud to get a Trek movie first there there won't be one until after it comes out in the US... They wouldn't give the US the satisfaction and will be riding the high of being able to stick it to the US audience for the first time for a Trek movie. It will be a point of pride.

Besides, who would want to ruin the long wait and HD/3D beauty by watching a crap shaky blurry cam copy... it's a crime in more sense than one. So yes, I can resist and wouldn't have it another way. I want my first experience with a new Trek film to be pristine!

11. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Commander Red Shirt

If a Star Trek fan can't wait for the real thing and gets a bootleg version instead, I question that persons fandom.

12. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes because, aside from simply wanting to see the movie at Imax, bootlegs usually suck in quality. I don't need to see the backs of heads of the audience, from when the bootlegger filmed the movie with his camcorder.

13. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

If the situation was that it was released in Australia sometime later this month, I would still wait. The quality isn't there. Plus I love seeing these movies on the big screen.

14. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agree 110%.

15. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's well worth the entry fee, whether you're a fan of Trek or not, and it's worth waiting for (see on screen then the wait for DVD).

16. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

If it were released in the U.S. months ahead of the UK, like they used to, I'd fly over to NY for the weekend to watch it. In fact I was at one point going to schedule a DC trip for work this upcoming week, and stay around to watch the premiere at a midnight showing for my second watch. I'm off to Brussels instead though :(

I grew up in the 90s with a major problem - I'd be on places like uk.tv.media.scifi.startrek, and later trekbbs and trektoday, where us in the UK were months behind.

The last 2 series of DS9 I bought on VHS for $10/episode (I now own both sets on DVD) as it was the fastest way to get my hands on them.

I did download SG1 episodes about 1999, for about a year, at about 20MB per episode. I decided the quality was too poor and the added value of bbs discussion wasn't high enough. From about season 5 onwards I bought them on DVD instead, at about $7 per episode.

It became easier at Uni with a massive 10mbit internet connection and an irc client, so I downloaded the final voyager and most of the first enterprise series, the later wasn't good enough for the effort though, and I still haven't seen all the episodes.

Since then, I've occasionally downloaded an episode of something when the PVR has cocked up.

I've never seen the attraction of bootlegging or downloading films though, or even watching them on TV. If it's awesome I'll watch it at the cinema (a rare luxury with a baby, been twice in the last 12 months, missing out on MIB, Bond, Batman, Les Mis).

If it's good (Skyfall, last Batman) I'll wait for the blueray.

If it's "Meh" (Die Hard) I'll watch it on a plane.

Once they're on Blueray or DVD they're usually about $15 from Asda, it's not worthwhile downloading at that price.