Question about the episode "Ethics"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Durek, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Durek

Durek Commander Red Shirt

After Worf chose to undergo the surgery to replace his spinal cord, he asked Counsellor Troi to look after Alexander in case he didn't survive. The fact that his human foster parents were getting up in age is understandable. However why didn't he entrust his brother, Kurn to look after his son? Kurn would definitely have made sure he had a Klingon upbringing.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Relationships between the Empire and the Federation, and the ups and downs of the Mogh family fortunes, might have been too unpredictable in Worf's opinion to guarantee a future full of Qa'pla for Alexander. Remember how Worf in "Sins of the Father" was quite ready to have Kurn abandon his family if that were the best way to survive...

Worf would also know out of experience that even a Klingon separated from the Empire can learn honor under human foster parentage.

Timo Saloniemi

3. Durek

Worf was different. He had a Klingon upbringing until his parents were killed at Khitomer. Alexander's mother kind of messed him up as far as learning Klingon ways. In many ways, Alexander reflected K'Ehleyr's rejection of Klingon culture.

4. Timo

Very true. But would Worf realize that much, or would he assume that Alexander would be smart enough and motivated enough to make use of the resources at his disposal and learn being Klingon by letter course like his father (mostly) did?

It would have appeared more natural to entrust Alexander with Riker, who had already sorta-fostered Wesley and was the resident expert in the Klingon culture.

Timo Saloniemi

5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Worf may have felt it would have dishonored K'Ehleyr. Besides, Kurn appears to be a single guy...

6. Timo

Well, Troi appears to be a single gal.

And it's not as if Alexander would specifically need a female protector: he's done breast-feeding, supposedly, for the time being. A male role model might do him more good at this point.

Timo Saloniemi

7. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As was Worf.

8. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I remember of the episode, I think the implication was that Worf understood that Alexander needed someone who would genuinely care for him and provide a nurturing environment. Several episodes had been implying that Worf saw Troi as a good possible mate for him, and by extension a good mother for Alexander?

That episode had much worse issues IMO, not one of my favorites.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kurn was stated to have some daughters in Bloodlines. So one would assume he had a mate. Wonder what happened to them after Worf just decided to erase him from existence?

10. Timo

Well, forgetting all about your closest relatives is indicated to be a good survival tactic when a family member falls in political disfavor, loses honor, whatever. The mate and the daughters might well be better off without Kurn.

We don't know much about the Klingon welfare system... But I'd think the Houses would care about/for their members beyond the immediate blood family.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Still the father of the kid. Also, he didn't even know Kurn existed until during the TNG's run.

12. AloriaDax

AloriaDax Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I always felt that he asked her because Alexander was closest to her. Kurn was not single he had a family (as eluded to in Firstborn, although I don't remember his family being mentioned other than that), but it seemed to me that he wanted Alexander to have a more human upbringing because he knew that K'Ehleyr had ruined him for any kind of Klingon life. And maybe he did not want to dishonor her by deliberately having Alexander being raised in a way that she made clear that she didn't want.

13. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I think I agree with you that Kurn would have been a good choice and one that Worf would have probably leaned toward, but just from a logistics "it's only a TV show" asking Troi was more dramatic. Bringing in Tony Todd for one scene wouldn't have made much sense.

It was eluded to that Kurn had children so having Alexander go live with them would have been logical. In "Firstborn" K'mtar tells Alexander that his uncle (assuming he means Kurn since he mentioned his name severl times in that episode) has a big house next to a lake and that Alexander had cousins there. He later says that Kurn has no male heir, implying the cousins must be girls. Which makes your point, Timo, what the heck happened to his family after Worf screwed him over?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  14. Durek

I wonder if Kurn's wife and children got the Mauk Tovor (Sp?) before he sought Worf out for Kurn to get his own.

15. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I can't remember the timeline here. Was this before or after Worf's discommendation? If it was after, didn't they keep Kurn's bloodline to Worf and Mog a secret until the Klingon civil war when Worf offered Kurn's fleet to Gowron in Redemption?

16. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

This, and perhaps because staying w/ Troi on the Enterprise would mean the least disruption in his life.

17. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

This in S5, after Worf and Kurn had their honor restored in Redemption.