Dilithium crystals

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by F. King Daniel, Sep 19, 2011.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did Enterprise NX-01 use dilithium crystals in it's warp drive? I may well be wrong, but I don't recall it ever being mentioned.

In the original and animated Star Trek series' (as well as The Voyage Home) the Enterprise's Dilithium Crystals were often breaking down or having some sort of trouble, rendering the warp drive inoperative. Did the NX-01 predate Dilithium-powered warp drive, or did it simply have a more reliable system than that of 100 years' hence? (or perhaps the writers forgot about/ignored it)

2. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

The energy source I recall being mentioned was plasma.

3. Ultramann

Ultramann Lieutenant Red Shirt

The dilithium crystals were for the "more advanced" warp drive that works up to warp 8 on a good day. Enterprise was a more "primitive" system that doesn't require the crystal system. Think f the first cars comapred to the more current variety.

4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah yes, from back in the days before the "Time Barrier" was broken...

5. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Berman played it so close to the cuff that that wasn't even breached yet. Another missed opportunity for plenty of good stories. Instead of course he went back to Data's creater because he wrote ' Brothers' and don't we all love our own shit? He was the showrunner for 18 years. Count 'em. Pushing boundries was not his thing. Conservation was and playing it safe and oh yea slick 1000 dollar suits and lighting his cigars with twenty dollar bills. He was highly overworked, the poor guy.

6. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

What are you talking about and what does this have to do with plasma drives? :confused:

7. xortex

I would rather know what a time barrier is.
    They should have included dylithium crystals as a powerful new energy source as a continuing story idea and technology that they slowly incorperated into the ship so as the NX-01 would be constantly changing sightly as they were being refit as new technologies developed. alien or not, but certainly collaborated on and and vied for used as the basis for building the so called Federation (i.e.0 the making of friends and enemies, etc.)

8. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

The NX-01 was dilithium powered it was mentioned as far back as the first season episode 'Cold Front' can't remember if they mentioned crystals though.

9. xortex

They didn't know what the hell they were doing or not doing. Half in and out of canon. There and not there.

10. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am not sure if you recognized the reference or not, but in "The Cage"/"The Menagerie" Lt. Tyler tells the S.S. Columbia survivors in the encampment that "The Time Barrier has been broken. Our new ships can...." - and his voice then trails off as he sees Vina.

You may already know this and were asking just what the "Time Barrier" is that is being referred to. I guess it refers to an advance in warp engine technology sometime in the previous 18 years. This is what I had always assumed, although "breaking the Time Barrier" seems more like the unusual travel seen in "The Naked Time", and not a reference to normal cruising speed.

11. xortex

Yea, cause Pike refers to the time warp factor so I'm assuming that just means that warp speed had been invented (hence saving time travelling between systems) which I guess means that the speed of light has been broken, hence a light year and so forth.

12. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just saw the whole series this past month and I do recall dilithium being mentioned in an earlier Enterprise episode, not sure which one though.

Dilithium is used to control the matter-antimatter reaction in the warp core, it has nothing to do with plasma, which is the standard way of electrical power distribution on all of the starships we've seen, from the NX-01 through to the Defiant, with the exception of Voyager, which used cheese...

13. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know what to tell you guys. The thread needs pics.

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are three references to NX-01 being "dilithium-powered".

First, "Cold Front":

We could argue here that Tucker sidesteps the question (while secretly thinking "What the hell is dilithium?"): the ship has no dilithium matrix at all, but instead uses magnetic constrictors to align the positron stream. That's in keeping with the TNG backstage technobabble where dilithium indeed performs a focusing function for antimatter streams.

Second, "Two Days and Two Nights":

This is less ambiguous. Dilithium is said to be engine-related, and this is no ploy because Archer is soon shown handing over some actual dilithium (or at least a glowing jar that's suggested to contain dilithium) to the official as payment.

However, this dialogue and scene was ultimately edited out of the episode, and dilithium is not mentioned in any of the actually aired scenes.

Third, "Bound":

That's directly from the TNG Tech Manual, no ambiguity left.

Whether Kelby is talking about a radical upgrade or the systems that were installed prior to "Broken Bow" is open to speculation. And we never actually see the dilithium. Is it big, natural crystals, like in TNG and some TOS episodes describing emergencies and nonregular use? Is it ping-pong paddle shapes, possibly containing matrices of microcrystals, as seen in TOS "Alternative Factor" supposedly describing regular dilithium? Is it something else altogether?

As for the Tyme Barrier, it could be

a) a set value for speed, a former record that has been broken
    b) a physical barrier in space that stopped older ships from utilizing a shortcut route
    c) a structure on Earth, completely unrelated to starship speed; Tyler only mentions it to the castaways because they will be mightily surprised otherwise when they return to Earth, fully expecting to see the Tyme Barrier still standing

Timo Saloniemi

15. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A year and a half ago this issue came up as well - but personally, I prefer Timo's expanded explanations from then:

And while I like the new option (c), it does make Tyler appear a little unfocused when he's constantly changing the subject between engine speed, local architecture and cutting edge starship design!

My own interpretation is that Tyler is referring to Dr Richard Thymne's theoretical speed limit for FTL powered ships - rendered obselete these past 18 years. ;)

16. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, yes- I remember that being mentioned (I think it was in Episode #36....):

Borg: "We are the Borg. Existence, as you know it, is over. We will add your biological distinctiveness and Camembert to our own. Resistance is futile."

Janeway: “Ah! We do have some Camembert.... It IS a bit runny...."

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  17. SFRabid

In "The Expance" plasma was part of the supplies to be stollen and a main reason they had to go get it. They did not have enough plasma left to power the engines for the long trip.

TOS went from time travel as an accident to time travel at will using high speed to achieve the effect. But then, TOS was probably the biggest cannon violator of any Trek series.

18. xortex

I think you're talking about the movie written by Leonard Nimoy there.

Manny Coto was the last person to go to for integrity. The science advisor was probably tripping him up anyway as he was also a writer unfavored to a position of power.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Nope, he's talking about "Assignment: Earth"

Thanks for the dilithium references, people. They slipped right past me.

20. SFRabid

Correct. I'm going through TOS on blu ray. After spending a few years on a ST forum it is interesting to see TOS again and view all the things in that show that fans complain about when it comes to ENT or VOY. They really were making it up as they go back then and had no reservations about violating cannon. Back then they did not seem to care so much about consistancy.