Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I read Thunderbolts 1&2, sorely dissapointed. I wanted to give it some chance cause I like Frank, Ross and Elektra but Way is like going to watch a Uwe Boll film. Not going to be great most likely and it's first two issues bore that out I thought.

The CBR boards are not high on it either. Even those who admit it's poor confess they are going to finish the first arc out of character loyalty to one or two featured characters. The overuse of red seems a big issue also.

If you're not reading War Zone I'd suggest it highly. Nightmare is 50/50 right now after two issues.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Normally I would agree about Daniel Way...not fond of his previous work at all, but this is probably the best that I've read. I like the line up and concept as well. I don't mind the Steve Dillon art work either, it fits the tone of the book and compliments the writing style that Way is going for. I haven't been bored yet and I was expecting not to like this at all. I do understand though why others dislike like or are bored by it, but I don't find that it is myself at all. Especially the last issue which was great and hilarious at the end! (well mostly because of Wade :)

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

This week for Marvel
    FF #3 Good storyline with Reed hiding things from the family. Not original in any way but good. No payoff to the Johnny chair prank in this issue and Ben can survive reentry? ummmmm bad.
    Secret Avengers #36, This cant end fast enough.
    Superior Spiderman #1 Meh. Otto's, I am going to be Spiderman and oh yeah kill people and run away. Not very good and it should have been done a little more slowly than in the first issue.
    Thor #4 Really enjoy this book with the related 3 stories in different times. I am 50/50 on the art for this book as I normally prefer more detail but it fits the story.
    Thunderbolts #3 And I am out. This book is just flat. Dull, dull dull.

4. Admiral_Young

Who did Otto kill in Superior Spider-Man #1? He maimed people, but I don't recall him killing anyone. IIRC, he also saved a cop from the Six. He ran away because he was overwhelmed and wasn't used to that sheer physicality. Remember he's learning to be a hero and that also means understanding what they go through. He's seeing the other side for the first time and still fighting his own natural instincts as Otto Octavius, while learning to be Peter Parker at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^I don't recall him killing anyone. He was about to kill Boomerang but Peter stopped him.

6. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like the way Doctor Spiderpus is written in the preview for Avenging Spider-Man 16. I wish he was written more like that in the core book.

7. Admiral_Young

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the character, but is Kitty Pryde the new Wolverine? She's featured in Woverine and the X-Men, All New X-Men, and now X-Men. So far.

9. Admiral_Young

That's because she is the co-headmaster/headmistress of the Jean Grey School of Higher Learning. She has an important role in the mutant community now. It only makes sense she would appear in multiple books. Appearing in three books hardly makes her Wolverine anyway ;) He's like in what? Five or six :)

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hope Brian Wood's X-Men is better than his Conan.

11. Admiral_Young

He has helped Ultimate Comics X-Men tremendously since taking over.

12. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This has peaked my curiosity also, even though I am not a Marvel reader. I will certainly buy the first issue to see how this will be.

Been thinking of getting back to Marvel again( the same last year my interest somehow dried out). The time seems pretty good for it now and it would not make my shopping really that much more expensive(if I order two or three new comics, that is).
    But I am still unsure what titles to try out:confused:

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Hawkeye and Daredevil have been fantastic. I'm really enjoying All-New X-Men, and although it's not my cup of tea, Wolverine and the X-Men is generally very well liked.

The new volumes of Avengers and New Avengers have both started a little slow IMHO, but writer Jonathon Hickman always plays a long game with his books, and I would recommend getting on the train early as the stories in both are sure to pick up speed.

Amazing Spider-Man was generally always a good bet but ASM doesn't exist anymore (for now, anyway). The current Spidey book, Superior Spider-Man, is a different animal, even though it's the same writer. I would suggest researching Spider-Man's current status quo before commiting to buying, but I would bet that SSM will be a fun ride.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been following what's been going on with Peter/Ock, so I'm ready to jump into SSM. I've heard enough to be very intrigued by where they are going with the whole.
    Just out of curiosity, have they explained how Beast pulling the original X-Men out of the past hasn't totally screwed up the timeline?

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^Bendis has said that there will be reprecussions from Beast's actions. As it stands now, the O5 only plan to stay long enough to "fix things", and then happily return home with a mind-wipe.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I wonder if "All New" is going to be a limited run series. It certainly seems a premise with a ticking clock. And they already have Uncanny... and X-Men... and X-Force... and Cable and Force... and Wolverine and the X-Men... and Wolverine... and Savage Wolverine... and X-Factor...

17. Admiral_Young

It's ongoing as far as I can tell. That is one of my main problems with it. It has a premise that would fit perfectly for a mini-series, but this has been promoted and intended to be the flaghship title and is obviously setting up stuff for Bendis' Uncanny relaunch in March.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it's a "weekly" comic, so it will probably work the same way as Amazing Spider-Man did in the beginning before Slott turned into Stephen King. Maybe they'll have creative teams switch hitting? When Bendis is spent they'll move some one else in for a couple trade paperbacks, and then Bendis comes back or some other frakk steps up to plate?

19. Admiral_Young

All New X-Men is Bendis' baby. One of the core elements of Marvel Now. It won't have rotating creative teams or anything like that. It'll be more like Hickman when he launched FF, and be a companion book to the relaunched Uncanny X-Men.

The entire purpose of All New is to feature the Original X-Men. I don't see any reason for it to continue once this story line is completed...unless they just want to keep the book around and do what they did with Astonishing (which is irrelevant now IMO).

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

they still make Astonishing?1?!? I never hear about it!