THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I never got the impression it was supposed to be scary, just effective and devoted to its job.

Scary like Gort perhaps.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It's meant to be unkillable and unstopable just like a superpowered terminator, Odin even gave it to Galactus to use as herald for a while.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I was so disappointed that there was no huge Thor and Destroyer fight after Thor got back his powers. After all that town destruction and the baddie is killed with one move... :rommie:

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The underwhelming, if solid, takes for this and X-Men probably suggest some level of fatigue with comic adaptations among the public. Shame, as I thought that this was the best duo of summer comic adaptations since The Dark Knight and Iron Man. This probably doesn't bode well for Green Lantern (which also looks great).

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

He wasn't alive to begin with so I think if anything Loki just released his mental hold on him.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This weekend THOR finally dropped out of the top 10 after 6 weeks holding strong and placed #11. It's total did propel it over the $175m milestone to land at a domestic total of $176.1m. It's worldwide total is at $435m but the OS totals aren't usually updated till Tuesday.

Thor manages to be the comic film to beat this summer still.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw on Amazon.com that you can now pre-order 2D and 3D versions of "Thor" on DVD. No release date was given but projections I've seen have it out the first week of Oct.

8. Captain Craig

I'm seeing a DVD release date of Sept. 27 for THOR.

That sounds about right. Paramount/Marvel have given Thor a very similar release date to the first Iron Man which I believe hit the first or second week of October.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Iron Man cam out the last week of September - I got it for myself as a birthday gift when Best Buy had a midnight release party.

10. Captain Craig

The truest sign a movie did well is to get the sequel announcement while it's still in theaters, just under 500 as of now, and before DVD has begun.

THOR sequel to hit 2013!!!

Meanwhile THOR will get it's last big hurrah over the July 4th weekend which hopefully will push it over the $180m mark domestically and soon get the other $10.5m internationally it needs for $450m worldwide!!!

11. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

That's awesome, I really enjoyed Thor. I'm disappointed Kenneth Branagh won't be returning, though. I thought it was his deft hand and understanding of how to meld the pomp and circumstance with "reality" that made Thor what it was. It'll be interesting to see who they get to direct.

12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Glad to hear there will be a sequel but disappointed that Brannagh isn't coming back.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully the next movie will focus on Kat Dennings' character like this one should have.

14. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Darcy Lewis is one of the mainstays of Marvel Comics and is possibly the longest running character after Millie the Model. I was appalled that she didn't get her own film by now, much less such a minor role in 'Thor'.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Best Herald of Galactus ever.

16. Captain Craig

We all seem to feel that way, here and about the net.
    Didn't take long for some site to dream up their short list of replacement possibles.

• Neil Marshall (Centurion)
    • Gavin O'Connor (Tumbleweeds)
    • Pierre Morel (Taken)
    • Noam Murro (Smart People, attatched to Die Hard 5)
    • Tommy Wirkola (Dead Snow, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters)

Again, this is not Marvel's list but this website. Not sure I'm overly inspired with their list.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Works for me. :lol:

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really happy they're doing a sequel, but I'm also sad Branagh won't return. I wonder who the villain will be? I watched an episode of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes with The Enchantress a while back, and I could see her working pretty well in a movie.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

One rumor is indeed the Enchantress and the Executioner, but I'm not familiar enough with Thor's rogues gallery to say if they'd be good enough for a movie.

20. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be up for that. The Marvel movies could use a good femme fatale as a villainess.