NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Martz can go get fucked and die in a fire and I thank the Lord every day that he's gone, but I'm still concerned about Mike Tice. I don't think he'll be an utter dogshit moron of an offensive coordinator, like Martz, but I am kind of concerned that despite adding Jeremy Bates in a coaching role and the addition of Brandon Marshall, he may run a conservative, run-first offense -- not quite Ron "on third and 7, HB draw up the middle" Turner, but ... eh. Remember, this is the guy who put J'Marcus Webb in solo coverage against Jared Allen. The Bears didn't do much at all to improve the offensive line, and in fact they promoted the guy who did work to improve the line (following the annual Lovie intervention with Martz) to run the entire offense, meaning that his attention is now spread across multiple areas. I'm very interested to see what happens on offense. Webb is still the starting left tackle, Carimi is questionable ... it wasn't just Cutler getting killed, Forte was being some kind of wizard to perform like he did.

Defense is another story, since Urlacher has sat out practice for more than a week and Shea McClellin has been far from impressive in camp, and God knows what's going on in the secondary.

I think they can be a 10-win team, but my money is on the Lions winning the division, since the Vikings are a dumpster fire and the Packers need to blow up their defense, because Rodgers can't lead them to a billion yards per game forever.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

No Cutler or Forte or Urlacher tonight. Not really worth watching over this crappy hotel wifi.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

So how about the Jets using Tebow on punt coverage. In preseason.

WTF???

:shrug:

4. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't catch the game. He's kinda like the old square peg/round hole analogy. He's got the talent and committment to be in the NFL, but there's no great fit for him. And according to various reports, he bulked up so much in the offseason for the wildcat and special teams plays, that it's hurt his already shaky QB abilities.

I am curious to see how the 2 QB system works for them, I don't think this has been tried like this before. What's the over/under on how soon there will be a QC controversy, Week 3?

You can't tell me the radio shows and newspapers won't be calling for him the first time Sanchez goes 13/27 for 125 yards with 0 TDs and 2 picks, while Tebow scores twice from the Wildcat package and makes a big special teams play.

And in other news, the Pats lose LB Dane Fletcher for the year with a shredded knee. He's not a star, but definitel a serviceable player on D.

5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I wonder how fantasy leagues will treat Tebow this year. He's not going to score enough points in most leagues to be a starting QB, but he will score more points than most flex players. In my league, we can't start Quarterbacks as a flex.

6. 1001001

They used him as a blocking back in a punt formation. Maybe it was to make the Bengals think about a fake, I don't know (the sound was off in the bar). But he ran downfield to try and make a tackle. I just thought that's a really stupid way to treat your #2 QB. Can you imagine if he blew out a knee on a punt?

7. SmoothieX

Considering I hate the Jets more than a lube free prostate exam, I would not wish that upon him, but nor would I cry if that happened.

8. 1001001

Well, it looks like the Rams have a little work to do....

:scream:

9. Talon Lardner

Talon Lardner Ensign Newbie

Hoping the Lions do well this year. Grew up with them as a kid, so seeing them actually being a contender last season was quite a pleasure. The key for them will be to keep Stafford healthy, and watch their penalties. Last season they seemed quite undisciplined, so hopefully this season will see a bit more maturity.

10. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Fingers crossed.

It'll be nice not have to play a Green Bay team on Thanksgiving or on the final day of the season.

11. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Glad to see the Packers signed Cedric Benson. He's not an elite RB by any means, but it's a definite improvement over what they had.

12. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Nasty ofensive show by the Raiders and Cowboys Monday night. Both units appear to have a lot of work to do.

I haven't watched the whole game yet, but there were 3 bright spots on offense in the first quarter and a half for the Raiders -- young widerout, Streater, who physically reminded me a bit of the old Indy receiver who came to prominence with Peyton Manning, can't think of his name. Another bright spot was Darren McFadden. If this guy stays healthy for the whole year, he will be the best running back in the league. Last but not least, Carson Palmer's arm strength (which had been the subject of much debate last season) looked good in overthrowing his receiver on an up route (and getting intercepted :rolleyes:).

Looking like a pencil necked geek shouldn't prevent Dennis Allen from doing a good job coaching but it sure doesn't fill me with confidence.

13. SmoothieX

Oh that narrows it down...

14. 1001001

Are we talking about Marvin Harrison?

15. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats him. Thanks.

I guess that description was a bit vague, considering it's Peyton Manning. :)

16. SmoothieX

^That's what I was getting at.

Harrison, Wayne, Garcon, Clark, Collie, et al.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was not fun watching Jacobs and LaMichael James have injuries in last night's game. I'm glad they aren't season threatening, but that just didn't look good. Hopefully they will be alright. I wonder if this is a good example of the preseason being way too long (Or if they should start training camp earlier). There's been quite a few injuries so far and that's not good.

18. SmoothieX

The preseason is basically all about figuring out your last few guys on the bench and solving a few position battles.

You just hope your key players don't get broken as a fan.

I'm curious to see how the Patriots' draft picks and revised D look tonight.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Bears announced that Johnny Knox will start the season on the PUP list. His recovery from spinal fusion surgery isn't progressing as quickly as hoped, and there's a good chance that he doesn't play this season, thus depriving Cutler of one of his most reliable targets. [​IMG]

20. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Broncos first team looked really good today, the rest didn't look anywhere near as good. I'm excited for the season, but god help us if anyone important goes down, especially Peyton. I'm hoping Weber gets some more playing time next week though.... I still really like him and am hoping he makes it as one of our final 3 QB's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.