XXIX Olympic games coverage

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Brolan, Aug 8, 2008.

1. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for that! I thought the opening ceremony to the Beijing Olympics was tremendous, but it didn't worry me. I think London will do fine. we just need to channel some of that skill that goes into our royal weddings, funerals and ceremonies of state and we will do a fine job. I'm not worried.

I've been really enjoying the BBC'scoverage of the Olympics. They have 7 live streams - 6 digital opitons and the main terrestrial channel. Say what you will about the BBC (and I say enough), they are majorly competent broadcasters at these kind of sporting events. Bravo so far, Auntie! :techman::techman:

2. BRG

BRG Commander Red Shirt

Indeed, when it comes the these huge events, nobody comes close to the BBC.:) Round the clock coverage on a number of live streams, so you can just about watch any event you want, and not one ad-break.;)
    However, the Beeb must have sent more people to China than the entire British Olympic Squad!:eek: Countless studio presenters, event presenters, experts, pundits, commentators, analysts, journalists, roving reporters, and God knows how many behind the scenes staff. Now you know where the licence fee goes.;)

I stayed up to watch the first finals at the swimming, about 0300-0500 BST, and I enjoyed it. However, as I was catching up with my sleep, I missed Britain's first gold medal!:(
    Nicole Cooke in the womens road race at the cycling. Apparently, she is the first Welsh athlete to take gold since 1972.:)
    Well done lass!:techman:
    BRG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  3. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

You guys make me jealous. NBC is making a mess of things. Mixing delayed coverage and live coverage. So I saw the medal ceremony for the Women's Sabre before they showed any of the matches. That takes away a lot of the drama!

They also dropped in on just the last two km of the cycling yesterday. I'm not sure if they will show the whole race later or not.

4. WillsBabe

^I hope you can still enjoy the Games, Brolan. :)

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still hate the fact that I'm on the West Coast, and no one fucking cares (Media mostly). It's hard to even be online if you don't want to be spoiled. Check fantasy teams and how they're doing or want to watch a Nascar race, and then get spoiled on the US Basketball game today. No one is concientious about who their audience is and because of the fucking east coast bias, they're giving a big giant fuck you to the people out west. :klingon:

6. Brolan

I feel your pain. I lived in Colorado as a youth and it seemed like the Mountain and Pacific time zones were the poor step child of the networks.

7. tomalak301

Yep. I do enjoy the fact that for sports like Football, we get the Sunday Night and Monday Night games during dinner and not bed time, but it really is like the networks or websites don't give a damn. If they want to tape delay boadcasts for money reasons, fine, but give people a choice if they do want to watch it live. I mean most nights the primetime coverage will start at 5:00 in the afternoon. People have DVRs. You can record programs, or watch them or even put them on like an NBC east channel and then replay it live. I just want the choice and in this day of technology, I think it's a bunch of shit I can't get that choice.

8. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

[​IMG]

(And yeah, it was Bernard who lost the race for the French.)

Keep talking trash, Frenchies. Who's getting smashed now?! LOL!!!! Love it!

9. tomalak301

FUCK YOU NBC. :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

10. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that is just the nature of the beast. ;) You realize these athletes are humans, too. They can be arrogant, deceitful, bitter and harsh at times.

I was just having a discussion with an acquaintance who "can't stand the Olympics" for all the negative reasons. I said there will always be crap, of course. You can't expect everything to be perfect. There will always be issues like doping, favoritism, lack of good sportsmanship ... That has been the case throughout history anyway, and not just with the Olympics!

11. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

What is it with Phelps rolling down his suit obscenely low? Methinks Mr. Phelps likes to show off what he's got to the ladies.

12. WillsBabe

^ :lol: I'm just watching the diving. His suit's no lower than their swimming trunks. I like.

13. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I don't know about that. It looks like little Michael is about to make an appearance out of that suit. If the FCC went wild over a millisecond of Janet Jackson's tit, imagine what kind of sanctions Michael Phelp's periscope would bring? :alienblush:

14. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

What are you talking about. Michael Phelps is god. He can do no wrong. If his dinkle shows, I say we give him another gold medal.

P.S. Michael Phelps Michael Phelps Michael Phelps.

:lol:

This is the extent of NBC coverage. They talk about him even when I'm watching gymnastics!

15. tomalak301

You know what I really hate about the olympic coverage. Not only is it delayed out here on the west, but they have really spotlighted watching the games online and there is only one problem with that. THEY POST SPOILERS BEFORE IT AIRS. Who was the douchebag that thought this up. You get so much stuff with the olympics this year, and if you live in one of the most major market states, it's pretty much all irrelevent. This is 2008 and the fact that NBC are still living in the dark ages is pathetic.

16. Brolan

That's the reason I watch the Olympics, just for races like that. The fact we beat the trash-talking Frenchies was just icing on the cake.:guffaw:

17. Brolan

You are right. In this wired 24/7 world this type of tape-delayed coverage has gone beyond ridiculous to embarrassing.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Every time I see that HD replay of him going berserk at the win makes me to work out and get a body like that

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, I don't mind. (And not just the ladies!)

20. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Psst... me either. (Although I'd rather see my secret boyfriend Ryan Lochte in a similar pose. He may have won the bronze in the 400 IM, but he gets a gold medal in the all-around cuteness competition. What a hunk. :drool:)