Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Clearly Abrams and company jumped the gun not having Spock parachute into the volcano...

2. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ignore it? Yeah, pretty much. People enjoy the new Trek stuff. I don't like it and think it's pretty much compost. But it doesn't bother me that people like it these days. If the people who like it end up watching more of TOS as a result then... well, bravo:)

3. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

To the creator of this thread:

Thank you.

Thank you for not saying racist and sexist things about nuUhura.

Thank you for not calling me a "moron".

Thank you for not calling me "not a true fan".

Thank you for not saying I've "never watched Star Trek".

Thank you for not complaining that physical models should be used instead of cgi models.

Thank you for not making stuff up.

Thank you. :techman:

I want a parachuting Spock. :drool:

4. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

You may have a very good point there (I haven't seen Into Darkness yet, so I can't comment on it). However, whether it's the script or the performance that's the underlying cause, and I'm perfectly willing to believe it's the script, I still have to say that I did not enjoy the interpretation of Scotty I saw in the 2009 film.

I think we all want a parachuting Spock.

And you're absolutely right, there are more than enough real things to like or dislike about the 2009 reboot that no one should have to resort to making stuff up.

I guess it's a side-effect of the idea that everything has to be justified. I don't get it, why can't people either like or dislike things just because they don't appeal to them? There's nothing wrong with saying that you don't care for something without making any judgments of its quality.

5. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow! Thanks for the memories, KingDaniel... I had one of these!!

To answer the OP:

No, you are not alone.
    Yes, I believe the new Star Trek movies ARE Star Trek.
    Yes, I grew up on TOS. I was introduced to Trek through The Animated Series, then reruns of TOS.
    Yes, I enjoyed all the other series, except DS9 [Because of a personal reason, I was never willing to give it a chance... and because I prefer episodic television over long story arcs.]

6. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Hey kids be sure to tell your parents to buy you Sugar Smacks cereal.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Oh, come on, you've got to elaborate that. :)

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I wonder: has anyone ever gotten hooked on Trek as an adult, or did we all catch the bug when we were kids?

I was probably seven when I first caught "Mantrap" on NBC. Been a Trekkie ever since . . ..

9. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I did watch the show as a kid, but completely ignored it in my teens and 20s - I returned and started watching again when I was in my early 30s or so. Not sure if that counts ...

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I don't want to make you feel old (even though I'm an old man now....) but the answer to your question in my case is "yes". I was born a little less than four years after that first airing of "The Man Trap", and the original NBC run of TOS is the only part of of Star Trek that I was not there for when it was new.

11. Athena28

Athena28 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't ignore it, but don't feel about it the way I do the older stuff. I watch it but not as the Star Trek I know & love.

12. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

The fact that you have a "few fans talking about the FX" proves my argument.

I did not argue that I dislike Wrath, and I think it's a lot better than the new ST. Reasons are given in various reviews, but I think the one that stands out does not involve plot holes but heavy reliance on spectacular reliance on action scenes. The same problems appear in various sci-fi and even superhero movies today.

13. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Yep.

Don't get me wrong: I've seen them. #2 had some good stuff in them.

But it certainly isn't Star Trek. On the AV Club comment threads, when Zach Handlen was reviewing TOS, we called #1 "Star Trek 90210". That's how I think of them.

14. Last Redshirt

Last Redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've seen the Lensflare Universe movies but I just can't get into them like I can with the Prime Universe stuff. It's hard to explain, but, I just feel like it's a bastardization of Star Trek. It gets the concepts of the characters, it has a ship called the Enterprise, but, it just doesn't feel like Trek.

15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which still seems awfully silly to me, frankly. Who had the romantic drama? Two consenting adults, not high school teenagers. And it was only two of them. And in a nice twist to convention, Kirk was the third wheel. There was no competition whatsoever, and Kirk and Spock never dueled for anyone's affections.

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

This thread was dead for almost 13 months, ralfy. The moderators prefer us to start new threads instead of bringing back the dead. :)

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Of course we did.

Anyone facing the prospect of the Vietnam era draft appreciated and understood that episode better than much older viewers.

Are you kidding? That character couldn't have been any more perfect a "fantasy figure" for pubescent males if he'd been designed by demographic research.

In other words - nope, nope, and nope.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There's been new Star Trek??? When??

The only new Star Trek I know of is online. And I think they're done by devoted fans.

19. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

If you can ignore these things existing and not use every opportunity to bitch and complain about every little thing for years on end (lens flares, anyone?) then no, you are not.

If you use any chance you can to rail against anything new or different, then yes. You are.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.