Post-TOS Admiral's Uniforms

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Ro_Laren, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I was on StarTrek.com and looking at a pic of some of their new uniform replicas. They were showing some new TNG era Admiral uniforms that we saw not only on TNG, but on DS9 and Voyager as well. Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

My question is this: when did we ever see gold Admiral uniforms like this? I can only remember seeing Admirals wear red. Or did we ever see Admirals in blue? It make sense to me that there would be Admirals in Engineering, Security, Medical, and Sciences. However, as I already mentioned, I only remember Admirals in red uniforms.

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember a blue Admiral's uniform, but I do remeber a gold one, I think from DS9? Ugh... Now I have to go research that.

3. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Lieutenant Red Shirt

It was on DS9. He wore gold. I'm 99% sure it was the same actor who played the C-IN-C top dog big kahuna Admiral named Bill in ST VI. I'm also pretty sure he was only seen on a viewscreen talking to Sisko.

4. Uhurock

Uhurock Ensign Red Shirt

For the most part, I found the Admirals' uniforms terrible looking. They look great without the actors in them, but because many of the actors were in their middle years and older, and some thickness had settled in the abdominal areas, just made the uniforms look bad. Adjustments should have been made.

They varied a lot too, didn't they? The CinC Fleet whom Sisko reported to had a very different uniform from those above.

I didn't really "get" why the uniforms in general changed so very much through the years. Sure, uniforms get "tweaked" and new elements brought in [I was in the service myself], but the endless additions of layers to the top part [seen in DS9 and the TNG films] must have made the actors miserable. Or maybe they were able to "peel down" between shots. Hmmm.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. Leon Russom was the actor. That is, IIRC, the only time we have ever seen an Admiral wearing any color other than "command". (In Leonard McCoy's appearance on TNG, he seemed to be wearing civilian clothing.)

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The early admiral uniform variants were horrific. Just butt ugly. I'm glad they finally settled on these jackets and stuck with them until the big FC style changeover.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know. I think it's actually comforting in a way, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose,though I don't know that there was any thought behind it even with the creator's own military background. Perhaps reassuring in the sense that this would likely match the audience's expectation of what senior officers who no longer were in active shipboard command roles, but had been kicked upstairs, would generally look like (at least males). Not exactly gone to seed, but, not unnaturally, enjoying the greater repose of a posting at a Starbase or Headquarters.

9. Ro_Laren

I also was never a big fan of the Admiral's uniforms. And I also don't understand why they changed that much. But I always liked Admiral's Janeway's & Admiral Ross's uniforms.

Admiral Toddman's uniform seems a little loose. Plus it has a seam in the front. IIRC, other than the first two seasons the main characters never had a seam down the front of their uniforms. That always seemed to be reserved for background actors and guest stars. I guess they were cheaper to make that way?

[​IMG]

10. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Plus ça change, plus c'est pareil.

Senior Beauty Pageant
    [​IMG]

11. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

I had only remembered the red uniforms for admirals. And those silly dresses for formal occasions!

12. Ro_Laren

I forgot about those uniforms. Never was a big fan of 'em!