Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

As she skidded along, the secondary hull was sheered off hitting the shore line, the saucer kept on going, the nose was caught and up ended the whole thing.

And the "gap" is much bigger, the part of the building that Khan lands on is only really half way down the cutut, he skids some distance before the shadow of the hull resumes across the building.

2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do you ignore the "evidence" from the movie: one of the only times we actually get a quoted length for scale. He jumps from the bridge, across the gap (approx 30m), and slides down the saucer. It doesn't matter how much of the saucer is exposed or whatnot.

Oh, and one more point: Scotty sizes up the airlock door on the Vengeance. "About 4 square metres", which puts them at 2.5m across (as I estimated for the ones on the Enterprise).

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Wow :lol:

4. WarpFactorZ

What comes around goes around. I'll take that as an apology. :techman:

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  5. WarpFactorZ

Awesome. This slipped to the second page with no reply. I guess I win: LL&P, bee-atches! :vulcan:

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I love how this thread has us essentially building the innards of the Enterprise! :D

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh sorry...
    I believe Chemahkuu dealt with that. You might also want to refer back to THIS PICTURE.
    Comparing an airlock on the Vengeance with an escape pod launcher on the Enterprise (which I'd already proven days ago has an interior hatch far smaller than its outer collar) somehow means something...? When we saw an Enterprise airlock at the start of the film, and it's 2m height matched the exterior windows just as I've been saying all this time? And when you've still had no counter to the first size-establishing diagram I posted?

And when you admitted this yourself in another thread?
    :vulcan::p

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That should have happened anyways. There was antimatter on board, wasn't there?

If a warp capable starship crashed on a planet, it would probably destroy half the planet in the inevitable matter/antimatter reaction.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^For once, the safeties worked and the core didn't breach. And Khan didn't have the destruct sequence.

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Re: New IMAX Star Trek Into Darkness Poster

How else are we supposed to compare the two ?

The sets fit the size of the original. The comparison is valid.

In my opinion the original's size was quite good, but I don't mind the increase in size for the new timeline. And there is no doubt that it's about 725m long. The shots of the bridge from the exterior, the size of engineering and of the shuttlebay are 'proof' of that.

11. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How big is the new Enterprise? Probably a few GBs.

12. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I just saw the movie yesterday. For some reason it seemed like in some of the outside panning shots into and around the bridge window (and other exterior areas) I got the feeling that they may have tried to visually reduce the size of the Enterprise by about 10-15%. Just seemed a little smaller to me overall.

Also, did anyone notice a change in the design of the ship at the end of the movie?
    The impulse engines now wrap further around the back rim of the saucer.
    I'm sure there's more, but I'll probably have to wait for the disc to find them.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  13. Belz...

In other words you are plugging your ears and yelling really loud. But that doesn't prevent you from noticing that the engine room is far too big for the TMP enterprise, right ?

I mean, I like to nitpick and all, and I would prefer if the size had been consistent with the previous entries, but a fact's a fact, and my wishes do not change that.

You are not helping your argument, here.

Irrelevant. Every piece of evidence we have points to a much larger Enterprise, whether you think it makes sense or not.

I think we've hit on the actual issue, here.

14. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Well, the impulse engine is just bigger now.

But I got the impression that the bridge deck looked taller after the refit.

15. Belz...

Now that you mention it, ships at warp aren't actually moving in space. Space is moving around them (making Scotty's comment about transwarp beaming in the first movie patently ridiculous.)

In fact, I always take Enterprise's NX-01 to be a result of Cochrane's exposure to 24th century time travelers, borg and 1701-E. In this respect it's quite possible that the Kelvin is simply another result of that.

16. Belz...

If you look at the screencap, there seems to be blue light coming from the depressions in the front end of the nacelles. I was under the impression that it was dark before. Maybe there are other small cosmetic changes.

17. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I've noticed those lights - I like them, they're exiting ;)

18. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are 4 lights :p

-Chris

19. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

It's still a design change.

That could be where the sense of smaller size is coming from for me.

20. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

A subtle change ...

The Enterprise took a severe beating from the Vengeance and could not even fire back once, the repair dock had its work cut out for them. I'm not sure why the studio wanted to revise the impulse engines which were only a few years old in design, I doubt that most viewers would notice or even care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.