Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Timelord Victorious, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen a thread about this movie, so I thought I'd start one.

My expectations were low but I enjoyed it greatly.

it seemed very low budget, but didn't take itself very seriously, which helped me overlook the weak plot and stereotypical characters..

In the end it was a fun romp with lots of gore, cool one liners and the final scene (pre-credits) was shot in my home town Braunschweig in Germany.

Whatever happens, don't eat the fucking candy!

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. Good action, good humor, surprisingly gory... I like that Gretel was the boss of Hansel...

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this back when it came out mid-January and found it a mixed bag. I wanted it a bit more serious and got a film with more cheese and predictability than I expected.

I think I gave it a C/C- type grade.

That said, it did end in a way for further adventures and if a sequel improved upon this vs giving the audience more of the same and actually increasing what I thought was cheesy then I'd give it a look.

The film has quietly made $205m Worldwide on a $50m budget, with $54m US domestic.
    I've not heard of any news links where Paramount has made any sequel talk. However, if they handled this well they might have their own little Resident Evil/Underworld type franchise here if they put enough thought into it. Renner may be tougher to get back if things pan out with Aaron Cross getting a film out of Bourne Legacy and he's back in MI:5 along with Avengers films he'll be busy just on that.

However, Gemma might be easier to get, monetarily and create room on her schedule. Come up with a reason Hansel has gone missing (off to try and save his "good witch" love that is somehow ok now) and have a solo female lead like RE/UW.

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it was better than I expected as well. I didn't think it would be as bloody or sweary as it was. I loved all the deaths and the fight scenes were well done. It was a fun movie and at the end I was left wanting more.

5. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it- it was good, gory fun. Nothing more.

There's going to be a sequel, apparently. How they'll film it with Jeremy Renner, I don't know. He's pretty much booked until 2016!

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the announcement for the sequel on FB about an hour or so after I has posted orig in the thread.

Hansel & Gretel sequel in development official announcement.

7. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I saw it a few weeks ago. I genuinely enjoyed it a lot! Glad a sequel is being made.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

So... not only does the movie pass off actors with a 15-year age difference as being about the same age - good ol' Hollywood sexism at its finest - even in such a goofy-ass movie, where they could easily have lampshaded the trope with a self-aware throwaway line ("too bad that one witch doused you in her instant aging potion"), they don't?

Laaaaaame. :p