ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: The bird is out: ENTERPRISE on blu-ray

Those North American SRPs are stupendously high. Absolutely incredible. I suspect the European retail price will be around 40 - 50 pounds/euro's. However since this is Enterprise I might wait for the price to drop. Not a day one purchase for me.

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anybody out there outside of the US actually able to watch the video clip about Enterprise Blu ray special features? I've read a few comments by those who've seen it, saying the likes of Braga, Bakula, Berman, Keating & Trinneer feature... but obviously have yet to see it myself here in the UK.

At both places - Trekmovie.com and Star Trek.com, it isn't available to my location and TNG season sets generally always are.

Perhaps somebody could rip the footage & put it on Youtube temporarily until CBS pull it down? (Assuming they would, since they presumably want people to buy their products and you'd basically be advertising it for them.) It needs to be somewhere that bypasses the usual Hulu (or whoever the video hoster is) territorial restriction.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's posted is a clip of the featurette you described, but the clip itself only contains clips by Braga and Bakula, most of which is a rehash of information previously available regarding the inspiration for Archer's character.

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

The business sense of CBS Home video is ST:ENT has already been for rental & sale on iTunes in low-bit rate HD and streaming in HD. There is a limited realistic window of the life expectancy of the Blu-ray physical format for releasing film and TV shows before downloaded content purchases become mainstream and overtake Blu-ray sales and the quality rises to be close enough.
    By starting to release them now they are getting in while the getting's good. DS9 & VOY may get a HD remaster for syndication and download but maybe not before Blu-ray sales as a medium are vastly declined already. I appreciate the additional special features as added content on the disc that Blu-ray offers.
    I have always said ENT would be on Blu-ray before the 2nd new film.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'll probably pass on Enterprise on Blu-ray unless the price comes down substantially. I already own it on DVD and probably haven't touched them in a couple of years. Already saw it in HD when it was airing on HDNet and it streams in HD on Netflix.

TNG season three releases two weeks afterward and then the Abramsverse Trek game releases two weeks after that which I'm more interested in. I'm only going to give CBS so much money over such a short period of time.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I was reading what the CBS executive said on startrek.com, and I couldn't help but think, in response to the exec's response to why DS9 and Voyager aren't hitting Blu-Ray next, why not put the rest of the original cast's adventures on Blu-Ray? The Animated Series was Remastered for High Definition back in 2006, and even if it hadn't been, it was still finished on film, so it definitely has a better chance of hitting Blu-Ray before TNG, DS9 and Voyager are even finished.

But, I will say that the cover is interesting, although I don't know just how eye-catching it'll be in stores in terms of it being the brownish-gold it is, since it might get lost in the shadows. Of course, considering that Paramount didn't transfer the text commentaries for the movies, and CBS didn't transfer any of the audio and text commentaries that were made for the Fan Collectives over to the TOS Blu-Ray, I'm surprised that CBS is transferring the text commentaries for Enterprise.

7. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't be surprised if TAS is very much on the Blu-Ray horizon some time in the not-too-distant future ;)

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

AWESOME! :techman:

9. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9 needs it more than anything IMHO.

X-Files would be nice too.

10. FrontierTrek

X-Files is underway!

11. FrontierTrek

If anyone has questions relating to Enterprise's Blu-Ray release, especially the bonus features, just drop them to me in a PM... we'll be talking to one of the producers of the bonus features for a future interview feature at TrekCore. Questions, comments, suggestions, criticisms, compliments - all welcome!

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So apparently there was no consensus on the winner of the bluray cover, so they chose an old publicity pic...and I love it! It speaks to me of what Enterprise was early on...early galactic explorers.

13. groundhog

groundhog Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't mean to veer off-topic but is there anything you know about The X-Files? Wonder what they'll do with the effects.

14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I never watched the X-Files, but from what tvshowsondvd.com says the series was shot just like TNG with everything being shot on film, but then it was edited on videotape.

15. FrontierTrek

We've been putting out an in-depth interview with Robert Meyer Burnett, one of the producers working on Star Trek Blu-Ray bonus features right now. In the latest part, I asked him about Enterprise - you can read his comments towards the end of this part:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01152013_robmeyerburnett5.html

16. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I really think it is fascinating that they wanted to set the first year on Earth. Man, that would have been a huge change/chance for the show. I'm so sorry they never got to do that ...

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It would have been interesting, no doubt. Though I think setting the entire first season on Earth might have been a bit too much. Maybe just the opening story arc, six episodes or so. Berman and Braga had some intriguing ideas for the show in its earliest stages; it's too bad UPN wanted them to just do another generic "starship exploring space!" show.

18. NeedsOfTheMany

NeedsOfTheMany Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

A whole season on earth would have been interesting but it's really unlikely they could have had compelling stories for that long with the cast they had. It would have been entertaining to have a few episodes prior to the launch more so than that Klingon landing and the Suliban in pursuit.

19. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Without pushing to much the idea into offtopic I think it could have worked. We don't have to think like Earth-Earth stories, but more set on the Sol system. Like some stories testing ships tech, with smaller ships, some Moon and Mars based stories, some exploration of the Solar System (just imagine an episode exploring through Star Trek's eyes Titan or maybe Callisto - the story would have been they are testing the environment suits or something), also, they could have pushed into season 1 some Terra Nova as well Section 31 episodes, also the story of FIrst Flight could have been part of Season 1 as two part episode. I really think that it would have worked ... I really understand this as not a season without ships and Trek stuff, but a season without Enterprise.

20. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Though Enterprise is interesting to me, as the first real attempt to reboot the franchise, it never really caught my attention. (I view TNG as a relaunch of the franchise on TV. It continued and expanded the universe first seen in TOS and the first four movies.) In Enterprise, they either deliberately or inadvertently decided what to edit out was established previously and went in a new direction. The show could have worked; it had potential.

I think the problem with Enterprise is that it didn't break new ground. If you are going to reboot the franchise, then take risks. JJ Abrams took a major risk by smegging Vulcan, and the mainstream audience and critics lapped it up.

Additionally, the time war arc was a dud. It didn't work, and it hung around the series neck like a albatross. The arc might have been used as a method to explain the changes in the timeline, but instead it ended up with Space NAZIs and wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey technobabble.

Finally, the people running Enterprise had funny ideas about what the fans wanted. They literally referred to the last show as a valentine for the fans. :eek:

If the season was charged less, like a 1/3 of the retail price, I may buy this season. However, TOS and TNG are at the top of my list.