Modified TOS Ent - Wallpapers

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

It looks really nice :)
    How does it look from the side?

2. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

while i'm very impressed, it does look great. alone it just seems too "busy" for a Trek craft, maybe once its seen in full context you'll win me over though!

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I don't suppose you could convert it to quicktime? My mac doesn't like WMV.

--Alex

4. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Install this, Alex: Flip4Mac

Fix ya right up. ;)

deg

5. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

^ Amen. No modern Macintosh should be without it! :techman:

6. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice nacelle dome effect, quite interesting. :techman:

7. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree with the spinning suggestion with this addition: one should turn CW and the other CCW (since presumably the engines themselves are mirrors of each other?).

QFT

---------

How you haven't been snatched up by some effects house by now is beyond me: Simply amazing stuff!

8. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

God I love this ship! Vektor, you and Deg3D are my favorites! Your take on the big E is awesome. As far as detail, it's the most intricate of the re-imagined Enterprises I've seen. Ryan Church should take pointers from you guys on how to design an Enterprise. Awesome stuff!!!!!

9. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

while i agree with the sentiment, it should be noted that ryan church doesn't get a few years to build and polish work for the screen. production schedules are relatively unforgiving.

10. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

^ you know I am no 3d modeler but if I am not mistaken Church and the folks on Star trek had over 2 years to work on that film. So that is plenty of time. I think the detail and texture on the jjprise is really good but the design, well they missed the boat. i don't think they were rushed i just think they were uneducated about the look of Trek when it comes to the Enterprise. Vektors work is fantastic. If I were in charge of a star trek film I would hire him and Deg3D to team up to design my Enterprise. That would be the ultimate!

11. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

^ i agree: they did make what they had look beautifull, but i dont think it was any "uneducation". it was just a poor choice by the powers that be on the design, they crafted what they were told to make, and in the end its not their fault that it was designed poorly.

12. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Ryan Church's original design:

http://www.ryanchurch.com/images/startrek11/04PRO_StarTrek11.htm

Although the proportions are still all wrong, still looking misshapen, at least it looks like a singular design made by a single design/engineering team - not like they grabbed different parts from different ships in different eras, slapped and welded them together and hoped for the best, as the ship was in the film.

13. ncc-1017-e

ncc-1017-e Captain Captain

Yea thats a pretty good assessment. TPTB did not do there homework! I do like Ryan Church's concept art for the Enterprise.

14. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guys, I appreciate the sentiment but it's just plain silly to compare my work with that of Ryan Church in any way that comes out with me on top. When they decide to hire me instead of him to work on the next Star Trek movie, then I will entertain such notions, but I ain't gonna hold my breath. ;)

Look, as I've said on other occasions, there are aspects of Church's Enterprise redesign that I don't much care for, but I think it works within the overall context of the film's "sleek and stylish" motif. I see no reason to assume that a lack of talent, education or respect for the source material was to blame for the new design, they simply chose to do it differently than I would have, and I can live with that just fine.

15. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

There's nothing sleek or stylish about Church's Enterprise re-design. Quite the contrary. It's a misshapen turd that was squeezed from a constipated anus.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Dude, that's just being rude.

17. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Dude, it's the truth, I can't help it.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

But accurate, Vektor's design would have been far more fitting.

19. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

way to detract from a good thread. not cool.

20. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    No, its your opinion. And it is possible to express it without being so insulting to a talented and accomplished artist such as Mr Church.