Superman costume to appear on SMALLVILLE after all

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a rumor about a month or two ago that had Smallville wrapping up it's production in season 9, followed by a theatrical release of a Metropolis as a "final finale" to the series.

Many balked at the idea as, while cool for fans, probably wouldn't have the mainstream appeal.

I've recently heard that it was, as you mentioned, a made-for-TV movie, which sounds more plausible.

There was also a mention made a few weeks back that there would be big Superman movie news revealed at the Comic Con. Perhaps all this is tied together.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I gotta say, I haven't watched Smallville regularly in years but all of this hubbub has gotten me excited about the show again. Maybe this was WB's desire.

3. Broccoli

Well...duh! :p

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a way to get around the WB-unfavorable court ruling that mandated that the company do something with the character by 2011. By suiting up Welling, even if only on TV, they might satisfy that.

As for the suit, I think a cape-less red and blue leather suit could potentially be awesome. The cape isn't necessary for concealment or flight the way Zorro's and Batman's are, and ditching it could be a nice nod to 21st century American humility. If Supes' message is that everyone should aspire to moral heroism, why add a show-offy cape? We get it, he can fly.

Bryan Singer was absolutely right to spiff and leather up the X-Men uniforms for the screen. Maybe it's time Supes followed suit (no pun intended). :techman:

5. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha. Ha.

I'm anxious to see this Supersuit, if there is one.

6. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

It would be foolish of them to leave out a cape consider they alluded to one several times already.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clark can't fly.

Only people that can fly deserve capes.

(So not true, but you need to be hard on Clark since he's a bit dense when people are being subtle.)

8. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So true!

Also true that Clark can't fly! So why a cape?

I just happened upon this thread; I didn't know there was a place to take about Smallville in this Forum. Cool discovery. Fascinating rumour!

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ There are a few threads for Smallville - including a new season spoiler thread.

10. Broccoli

By that logic, Batman shouldn't have a cape. ;)

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

But Clark does have a cape - he has the Warrior Angel cape.

12. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither Zorro nor Batman can fly.

As for Superman, the cape's been there from the beginning, even before he was depicted as able to actually fly.

At first he was only able to leap tremendous distances.

The cape doesn't mean flight. It's part of the costume and it should stay just as it is.

Removing the cape achieves nothing but allowing someone to say "Look what we did". Plus, with regards to 21st century American humility, as someone born and raised in the States, I'd like to ask when the last time was when Americans were thought of internationally as "humble"?

13. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know something?

This may be simply another turning point.

"The Red And Blue Blur" may end up wearing that costume, if there really is one, and we may see Clark in it repeatedly.

Then, in the closing movie "Metropolis", he may end up in the actual Superman costume at the end, cape and all, when 'The Blur' first becomes known as "Superman".

Several years ago I saw a joke picture online that showed John Schneider as Jonathan Kent with a word balloon that said "You mean after everything we go thru, he ends up running around in public in tights and a cape?"

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess you haven't seen Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

15. Broccoli

I did. Batman did a lot of gliding. ;)

Besides, the argument presented by others is "if you can fly, you should get a cape."

16. Guy Gardener

So, you haven't seen the Incredibles then?

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, what? This does not compute. I read some deep seeded anti-American bias right here.

Just what the hell does the cape have to do, in your eyes apparently, with anything American? Removing it=American humility? Specifically American humility? WTF!
    Tell me again when the reason for the cape=American anything. It's just been there. :rolleyes:

18. Guy Gardener

Superman has always been the embodiment of truth justice and the American way.

Even with the pink Kryptonite, the cape is a little ostentatious.

Deal with it.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Hey Guy, Gaith is specifically talking about the cape.
    Gaith isn't talking about Superman as a whole or even the costume as a whole.
    He pointed out the cape in particular.
    When I want your opinion I'll ask for it.
    Deal with that.

So, till then I still would like to ask Gaith to explain his comments on the cape and how that specifically deals with American arrogance, since he implies its humility to lose the cape.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've seen many Superman costumes with no cape in DC comics over the years. They can be quite interesting, but in the end they aren't Superman to me. Superman's costume is one of those iconic things that you can't tamper much with without changing something significant about him.