Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

X-wing Alliance had a couple Thrawn trilogy call-outs.

2. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

TIE fighter also had Thrawn himself in a major role.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

Of course, if Thrawn actually appears on-screen with a slightly different backstory in the new movie or in a later episode of the Sequel Trilogy then it'll still be fine to use his character in future games. I hope he does, and that they can use him again.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The Rogue Squadron level that involved Dark Empire's World Devastators attacking Dac was pretty memorable.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeap, forgot about that.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you need to realize that they are not going to reference the out of continuity novel.

7. cooleddie74

The novel might have been rendered null and worthless in the official continuity now that The Mouse runs things, but there's of course nothing in the wiping of the EU slate that handcuffs and prevents the current and future filmmakers from taking some past EU elements and characters that they really like, rewriting and refashioning them and then inserting them into the new movies if they feel they can be of use to the story.

Sure, Heir to the Empire's dead for all practical purposes whether we liked and cared about the Thrawn novels or not. That story and its timeline are gone. That doesn't mean the character of Thrawn himself couldn't theoretically surface with a new backstory and sequence of events if the writers think it'd be a good idea.

I don't think it'll actually happen, but I'm not going to say never when it comes to this universe.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

We just need to look at the way that Clone Wars treated the EU. They referenced it when possible and contradicted it when they felt like it. They used it as a source of ideas but they were not beholden to it. I imagine that's how things will be going forward; they'll mine it for ideas to reuse.

9. cooleddie74

Yes. Good points there.

10. Hound of UIster

They referenced it because David Filoni was a fan of the Expanded Universe material. Note that the elements they usually referenced were to elements that he liked.

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If he has a new backstory, he's not Mitth'raw'nuruodo.

12. cooleddie74

And that's fine with me. Rewrite an EU character's entire backstory for all I care, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few of them picked out of the EU wastebasket and used in a future movie or television project so we get to see at least a small handful of these interesting characters on the big or small screen.

13. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want to see TIE Defenders (I know, it won't happen).

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't understand. You're saying that you want to see them pick up some of the EU characters, but are okay with changing them entirely? What's the point of using them in that case?

15. Hound of UIster

Agreed if it's the character in name only then it's pretty much not the same character.

16. cooleddie74

There's nothing to not understand about the concept, really. The Clone Wars did it. Take a piece of EU mythology and use it (changing some of the details to fit their own scripts and meet their own story requirements). It didn't necessarily resemble the original EU element except in name and the basic concept, but it allowed something from a book or graphic novel written years earlier to make an on-screen appearance (in the very last episodes of the series they even changed the name of the ancient Sith homeworld without any indication they were going to do so). And that was when the old EU was still fully canon, so it'd be even easier now that this has all been tossed up into the air or completely jettisoned.

I like Thrawn as a character and liked what he was in the old Timothy Zahn novels, but he's not a movie character who's been set in stone. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a movie and don't really care if they change details about him. He's not Darth Vader. So long as he'd be recognizable as Grand Admiral Thrawn from the old novels it's not that important. Besides, if the EU is no longer official would it matter that he wouldn't be the precise same Thrawn from the Zahn books? That character and that sequence of events connected to him no longer exist in the Lucas universe.

Anyways, it probably won't happen to begin with but I'm not rigidly beholden to portraying former EU characters the exact same way they were written in the old books before the Disney takeover. And I imagine I'm not the only fan who thinks along these lines.

It's just my own take and opinion on the matter. Your own mileage, of course, may greatly vary. To each their own.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Good because I could never remember how to pronounce that. :p

18. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good lord, the EU is just in love with apostrophes. :lol:

19. cooleddie74

That name might as well be Andorian seeing how hard it is to spell and correctly pronounce! :)

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Timothy Zahn is in love with apostrophes.