Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    Excited.
    Has anyone heard anything new about a rank increase?

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

From the flurry of news items and tribble updates, it seems like Season 9 will be upon us shortly. Perhaps as early as 3rd April, although my guess is 1st May.

So far season 9 looks like another mostly ground-centric update with new personal kits that can be slotted like starships (more like shuttles since there's only a max of 5 slots) and costume revamps (armor set changes, personal kits as costume parts),

That has been the rumor for every season launch over the past year. Cryptic has also said they want to add at least 5 more levels. So who knows? Maybe it will be part of the season 9 update.

3. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Geko has said in the past that he'd like more "sidewards" progression that would be like leveling up; getting new abilities and such, but didn't want to actually increase the level of your character, as that might impact how they've set up ships and other rank related items in the game.

4. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

I agree they don't need to really add a bunch more ranks for leveling. I would be happy with a Fleet Admiral rank, just to allow a complete rank available rank chart is all.
    But there should be more things to do after leveling then just reputation or fleet grinds. Like, a wider assortment of non-Federation/KDF/Romulan ships. Just random ships that are different that people can track down and use. And ships that are equal to Fleet standards, not like Mirror ships.
    Or, well, the ideas could be endless of things to add. I just wish there were more things you needed to get done. Im glad I have multiple characters because Im getting bored with the options of things to do in the game.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Hmm... because of how grindy things have become, I've actually reduced the number of alts i bother to do anything on. Rep is super-grindy, even with the 50% sponsor bonus. Any special events have become 'do x 20 times in 25 days' so can't really pull that off on more than 2-3 toons without losing all interest.

My main toon has everything maxed out, and all the gear/ships. My KDF toon has the originals maxed out, and limping along on the others. I try to keep that one up to date with the events. Newest one is Romulan, and been bringing them along as well. Almost done Omega and Dyson, only two I can really get away with grinding at the same time without having to keep flying around. The limiter there is I'm out of XP, so actually have to keep running a couple STFs each time I want a new Rep project to go, as I'm down to zero. Bonus weekend helped, but not nearly enough. Odd problem to have, given i've got 4 years experience on the main and KDF toons, so there are millions of XP there doing nothing.

I had a Fed ENG and SCI, as well as a TAC KDF (current regular one is ENG), but haven't done much of anything with them in a long time. Things have just progressed so much that I can't compete with them in their current state, and it's way too involved to catch them up with all the new stuff...

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

That's why the fleet starbase is so important in the long run. It allows everyone to gain endgame gear with minimal effort and then you just do the reps for the passives and maybe cherry pick a few select items over time.
    Fleet gear allows your character to stay compatitive.

7. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

I only really do the grind on my main character. I level other's just for the fun of leveling. I don't put any extra time, effort, or resources into them that much. Mostly just to try out different species and ships.
    That's also why I started my Fleet, to have something to work for! If I didn't have the Fleet i might have stopped playing by now. Probably not though! lol.

My Fleet is now lvl 4, Starbase Tier 1 just about to start upgrading Tier 2. Everything else at 1.
    I have my main character, Human Tactical Officer onboard Fleet Battle Cruiser. This is who I am grinding rep with.
    I also have another Tactical Rear Admiral on a Prometheus Class Starship, a Science Captain on an Intrepid Class, and a Rommy Tactical Commander, I dont remember what ship he has.
    I enjoy the leveling part of this game a lot. Aside from the repetitve missions everytime you do a new character. Probably why I have the Rommy and want a Klingon now as well :P

8. intrinsical

I'll only play more of the new mirror event if its interesting and challenging. And so far indications are that it is challenging, so my fingers are crossed. If not, I'll probably only run it on one or two of my top characters.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

They don't seem to do 'challenging' very well. They design the mission ok, and when trying to make it more challenging, they just increase the ranks of the mobs, or give them magic weapons that 1-shot kill you. That's 'challenging' to them...

10. intrinsical

Cryptic's mantra has always been "Anyone can win". So their PvE content tend to be easy to beat because they're designed to be winnable even by weak players. So an average player will find it easy, an above average player will breeze through it.

Sadly, no one seem to be able to convince them that at least a tiny bit of content should be hard to beat.

But when I meant challenging, I didn't necessarily mean difficult to win. I am happy with a challenge that requires figuring out a winning strategy then having the teamwork and coordination to execute that strategy. So anything that's STF-like is "challenging" to me.

11. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

New MU event is quite fun. Only niggle - we had no idea (and weren't told) we had to close all the rifts before we could destroy the dreadnought. There we are, hacking away at it with health at 0%, but it refuses to blow up! Finally, we manage to close the other rifts, and it goes up straightaway. Irritating, because we lost the bonus. Still, now I know - and now you know!

12. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    The game has been crashing a lot for me over the last week, both during play and on the load screen when booting up the game. Very annoying.

Even crashed my computer at one point.

13. intrinsical

I'm not sure if this would help but have you verified your sto files?

14. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I have, multiple times. After a crash, the only way I've been able to get back in (and not very reliably, mind you) has been to reboot my laptop and then verify the files before loading the game. Not sure why it's doing this, but I've been filling out the crash report every time for Cryptic, assuming they look at these things.

On another note, I enjoyed the mirror event. One instance had a mirror Odyssey as the dreadnought boss. And at one point, there were a ton of Typhoons pounding the starbase. Crazy!

15. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

I'm loving the Mirror event! Good battle!

I'm assuming the Multidimensional Transporter Device you collect from the event for the Reputation project is only available once per day?
    I can't actually seem to find anywhere where they would have said this for sure :(

16. intrinsical

Its always once per 20 hours.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

yes, in the description of the event (hit 'K', then see it in the left sidebar), says you get the reward once a day. can run it more often, but only get the reward once. Annoying that you don't get a timer with it so you can see how long until the next one, unless it's by calendar day or something.

Either way, one transporter a day, 15 to get the big bonus.

18. intrinsical

The only way I know of is to look under the Journal Logs, the right most tab in your journal UI. It shows the last time you ran the mirror event, so you can use that to figure out if 20 hours have passed. And yeah I wish Cryptic could design a better UI for doing this.

19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Wow that looks very cool! Stoked to see it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.