Trek-related Euphemisms

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USS Triumphant, Sep 12, 2013.

1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

My wife, our two kids, and I have all used "experiencing a warp core breach" as a euphemism for a sudden urgent need to use the restroom for as long as she and I have been married. Does anyone else use this phrase this way? Does anyone else have any other Trek euphemisms they use on a regular basis?

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, when there's an audience who can get it.

Well, while really references and generally not euphemisms, Spock quotes such as "illogical" and "fascinating" can make good zingers. I've also gotten a little mileage out of "We reach."

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Many people say "Thank you, Captain Obvious!" sarcastically at someone for stating the obvious, but my wife and I use "Thank you, Deanna Troi!" :D

We also call the occasional oversized pimple on us or our kids a "gorch".

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

At my last job, there was an elevator, and when I would get into it, I would always say "Main Bridge!"

:techman:

Also, not that I would ever use it, but at a convention once I heard two guys admiring a young lady's backside, saying "I'd like to do her in the Beta Quadrant".

:shrug:

5. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me and my father often say that people/things/bugs/whatever is happening to irritate us at any given time is "tasking" us.

And yes, we know we are paraphrasing Khan paraphrasing Captain Ahab.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You win the thread. :lol:

7. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

In college I had a couple of roommates and the shitty worthless one once said something in a conversation about being a "collective" and I said "We aren't the f'ing Borg!"

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. That reminds me, back when I was in college, I was in the marching band playing bass drum. We called ourselves the Bass Drum Collective, because if you know anything about playing bass in a marching band, you know you pretty much have to share a brain with the other bass drummers since you're each playing one portion of the entire part. It gets really interesting when you have 32nd note runs and you're not on a downbeat!

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Me, too. In fact, I use it enough in conversations online that I had honestly kind of forgotten that it originated in Trek!
    :techman: I like this. As a side note, my son was recently stating the obvious so much one day (on purpose, before it was over with) that the rest of my family jokingly promoted him to Commodore Obvious. :D
    I have been known to say "Le-le-level" in a pseudo-computer voice, like the malfunctioning computer at the beginning of ST:V, when stepping onto an elevator - and also to call for some specific ship deck while pressing floor buttons. But generally only in geek-friendly environments like conventions or gamedays, or when alone with friends and family. :D

10. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I use a phrase from my least favorite Captain of all quite a bit. The oh so famous, "Make it so."

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I use "Double dumbass" often and used to joke about "running a level 3 diagnostic" when the computer at work would give me problems.

12. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Not a word or phrase, but a physical bit of business. Sometimes when I enter a building through an automatic door, I'll do a Lt. Riley in "The Naked Time" -- marching jauntily with upraised hand, snapping my fingers as if I'm commanding the door to open and close. I have no idea why people give me strange looks.

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

My supervisor uses that one. I invariably reply with, "By your command." Not Trek, but....

14. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

My 16-year-old daughter comes home from school with the onset of a headache, not looking forward to several more hours of homework. She recedes into the kitchen chair like a liquid just barely contained by her own skin. And as I reach into the refrigerator to pull out something that might build up her strength, she makes a desperate request that could, if fulfilled, put me in prison:

"Romulan ale!"

SF3

15. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

One of the Vets I work for uses the phrase, "Make it so" when we ask for orders on a specific animal post op.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another one, for me: "Working..." in monotone, of course. Also, the South Park variant, "Working, bark, bark..."

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if this qualifies, but I use "It's best not to dwell on such Minutia" because Garak said it in In the Pale Moonlight.

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

This reminds me: Mrs. Silvercrest tires easily due to health issues. For a while she adopted as an email signature: "Every sixteen hours I turn into a liquid."

Wouldn't that only be a problem if the judge was a Trekkie too?

19. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a euphemism per se, but my local community group is under the umbrella of a much larger national body that connects similar community orgs with each other and supports them fiscally and administratively. In its mission statement, the body describes itself as a federation.

Of course, whenever the time comes for someone to explain the body to a crowd at a public event, I will *always* step up to the mic, JUST so that I can say the word "FEDERATION" out loud.

20. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Not sure why, but Kruge's "Get out! Get out of there!" gets used around our place a fair bit, either when someone is telling a story about someone physically going somewhere they shouldn't have, or when accidentally clicking on something you didn't mean to while online.