In A Mirror, Darkly: Best cold open ever?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by JirinPanthosa, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Astroboy

Astroboy Ensign Newbie

I really like the way they did the opening for In A Mirror.

2. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I don't understand this emotional attachment stuff. For me the best character on the show was Shran and I wouldn't wanna have anything to do with this fellow in the real world. Same in the case of DS9's Garak. Brilliant character but nobody you'd trust or care about in the real world.

3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i gotta admit this was an interesting two-parter. definitely went outside of the box.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It was my favorite Enterprise episodes.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Emotional attachment doesn't mean you'd want anything to do with the characters IRL. It just means you care what happens to them, even if it's negative. I wanted Kai Winn to get her comeuppance in DS9 from her very first appearance. But I didn't care either way about the Mirrorverse NX-01 crew. They were cardboard cutouts.

6. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I don't need to care about what happens to a character in such a ridiculous "I want him/her to lose/win" way to enjoy a piece of fiction.
    About the other thing, well, no. As Bluedana has pointed out, evil is anything but one-dimensional. Archer was ambitious and Reed sadistic but Forrest was just a part of the system. The characters are anything but simple.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Archer was fascinatingly repulsive with that hair cut.

Also, Bakula seems far more lively and nuanced as MU Archer than our Archer.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I suspect Bakula had a lot of fun playing an antihero for a change. I knew of him, and had probably seen him on Murphy Brown, but didn't really take much notice until he did the horror film Lord of Illusion, and thought he did well in it.

I didn't notice MU-Archer's hairstyle change, though I'm pretty dense about that sort of thing, as my ex-wife could tell you. ;)

9. teacake

Were you that person who thought Janeway had only ONE hairstyle?

10. Melakon

No, I did notice some of them, but it sometimes takes a week for it to reach the brain.

I've been trying to keep track of your rank too, because I think you're close to a promotion. Oh, sorry, you were approaching 20000 posts the other day but are now past it. So congrats anyway.

11. teacake

Oh the rank changed at 16K I think.. next rank change is 32K. And after you've doubled that one you probably need some sunlight.

12. Melakon

You wouldn't want to be in the sun long here. The forecast for today is 104F/40C, and the sun won't be up for another hour. We'll probably be near 120/48 before July. To make it worse, the apartment complex hasn't turned on the cooling system yet, so there's no escape from it in the room. I'm dehydrating so much, the last few days I'm only getting about 2 hours sleep at a time. Last year the cooling system was out for 2 weeks during the hottest days of the year, and it nearly killed me (seriously).

13. teacake

Hey I live in Australia, I know all about heat :lol:

But seriously, maybe you should get an evaporative cooler, one that you have inside.

14. Melakon

Some tenants bought their own room air conditioners. If the cooling system puts out the juice it did last year, I may have to save up for one instead of for a TOS collection.

15. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Eek - too much heat (and I tend to like the heat).

I offer you our chilly mornings.

16. Melakon

I've been in Arizona the last 20 years, but most of my life was in the midwest with regular seasons. I don't miss the snow, but I can't get used to the heat. For the first 5 years, I had heat exhaustion every year.

17. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Me too! I wish the film had done better -- I would have loved seeing Bakula as Harry D'Amour in a sequel or three.

18. Redsskull

Redsskull Ensign Newbie

The more crazy Archer had to get(Xindi Arc) the more Bakula seemed to enjoy himself. MU Archer kept me smiling for days.

19. Melakon

The bloopers for each season are sometimes a riot, because Bakula seemed fond of intentionally blowing lines, pulling stunts on castmates, and outright teasing. In an outtake from "Carbon Creek", Connor Trinneer botches a take, and Bakula ribs him with "Haaa, you suck!" And everyone seemed to try to get Blalock to laugh.

20. Redsskull

Redsskull Ensign Newbie

You know, Iv'e actually got a DVD set with all the extras, including bloopers. I never really watched it. I think I will now.