Star Trek Renegades

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lighthammer, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Re: Star Trek Renegades Kickstarted ending soon

I removed the soliciting part from the OP. Soliciting is not allowed here on the board and that includes kickstarter projects. Please don't do that again.

2. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

They need to use some of that money to hire someone to iron Chekov's uniform. It looks like he just pulled it out of the pattern buffer...er ..hamper.

3. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

@Count Zero

A TREK community is throwing up brick walls regarding helping getting a TREK project off the ground?

I'm --- I don't have words for how disappointed I am with this.

There's even been FRONT PAGE ARTICLES on your site about this project!

That judgement is beyond stupid. This might be the final straw that just makes me delete my account here.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not such a big deal, it's very easy to find the Star Trek: Renegades kickstarter by Googling.

5. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, the rules are the rules. You agreed to them when you joined here. I don't think it's too hard for those who want to contribute to find a way now that they've heard of the project.
    The ban on soliciting has legal reasons, as far as I know but feel free to start a thread on it in "Questions, Suggestions & Feedback" if you want to see the policy explained further and/or changed.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

When I saw the trailer for this some weeks ago I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Honestly, this looks like the stupidest, most fanwanky thing they could have come up with. I really hated "Of Gods and Men", which – although acted pretty well – was really very badly written. The plot was so convoluted and pandering to Trek nerds, I couldn't believe people actually and genuinely liked this.

And now comes this, which looks even worse. Are those people, who actually worked on the show and who actually do have some acting chops, so disconnected to what actually makes Star Trek work? Do they really think this is what Trek fans want to see? Well I certainly don't.

Walter Koenig, as an actor and as a human being, is very dear to me. In fact, Chekov is my favorite supporting character from TOS. But seeing him associated with this really makes me doubt his judgement.

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I would also like to express my surprise that the Star Trek fan community needs to be "rebuilt." The last film was a huge hit, the biggest one ever for a Trek film.

8. F. King Daniel

They reached and passed their minimum $200,000 Kickstarter goal, so this thing's getting made. They're hoping to raise an extra $30,000 in the next three days to upgrade production values.

I'm hoping it'll be a fun pilot movie, but I can't see it becoming the 5-year ongoing CBS-approved series they're hoping for. CBS and Paramount have always seen Trek as one of their premiere properties, and are currently very happy with their blockbuster movies and Bluray re-releases. I can't see a low budget web series fitting with their current plans. They've always kept Trek away from straight-to-DVD quality stuff, even when the franchise was at it's lowest ebb in 2005.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

9. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i would've thought a descentant of khan would've changed their surname? isn't it akin to them being called 'captain hitler'?

but honestly this sounds so fanwanky my wrist aches at the concept.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Funny that $90,000 of their total comes from ten backers.

11. F. King Daniel

I bet one of them's that Indian prince guy who cameo'd on Voyager.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

And some of the celebrities (on and behind the scenes) probably chipped in some of their own cash.

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

To be honest, I didn't think this would actually make the cut (and, really, I was kind of hoping it wouldn't). It's sad to think that that is really what they think "we" the fans want to see. So many good people in this, yet apparently so little understanding of what a good Trek story (or a good story in general) should look like.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Pretty much how I feel. Only got about ten minutes into Of Gods and Men, before I turned it off because it was so bad.

15. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Kahn" is a pretty common Indian surname. While, there might be few Hitlers left in the wold, I don't think everybdy named Kahn (or Green, for that matter) would change their names in reaction to the actions of one man.

I liked "Gods and Men" despite its flaws, and will reserve judgement on "Reegades", as we all should, until I see the finished project.

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

Now i'm sure someone will come in here and say 'stop being negative' or 'if you dont like the sound of it don't watch' and thats fair enough, but its just really disappointing that they think a bunch of cliches is what the people want.

and section 31 has been done to death. they must be the most well known secret organisation in the universe at this point. (with about every other federation citizen being an agent in non-tos era fan films.)

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Khan," not "Kahn."

Nothing personal, just a pet peeve. I've even seen professional magazines spell it wrong!

18. F. King Daniel

I suspect there would have been quite an Augment witch hunt after the Eugenics Wars. And judging by reactions to Augments in Enterprise and Deep Space Nine, it would seem that Khan blood would be an instant ticket to persona non grata status in the Federation even 300 years later. Not something any sane person would wear on their sleeve.

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

khan is a common indian name now. Much like Adolf was a common german name. not anymore.

i know bringing up Hitler is usually seen as a bad move on the internet, but i think the comparison is actually a valid one in this case.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. According to "Space Seed," Khan was regarded by history as one of the more admirable genetic tyrants. Both Kirk and Scotty confessed to having always had a sneaking admiration for him, and Kirk specifically mentions that there were no known massacres under his reign.

One gets the impression, at least in "Space Seed," that Khan was remembered as more of a 20th Century Napoleon or Julius Caesar than a Hitler. An ambitious conqueror, yes, but not a monster.

Marla's reaction also supports that theory. It's hard to imagine that she would be swooning over "Hitler" or painting heroic portraits of him.

We should also note that, aside from Marla, nobody on the Enterprise even recognizes him, which implies that Khan isn't exactly that infamous centuries later.

And, for that matter, Terrell doesn't recognize Khan in the movie. And Chekov actually has to explain who Khan is. (Note that Chekov doesn't just say "It's Khan Noonien Singh!" as though that would be self-explanatory. He instead goes into a whole spiel about how Khan is "a product of late twentieth century genetic engineering," etc.)

In all, it doesn't seem like the name "Khan" is synonymous with evil in Kirk's time. And, indeed, nobody in "Space Seed" acts as though Khan is the equivalent of Hitler or whomever.

(Oh, one more thing: If Khan was supposed to be a Hitler type, does anyone really think an American TV episode in the 1960s would have ended with the hero letting "Hitler" and his girlfriend have a second chance on a brand new world? I think not . . . .)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012