romulan star empire

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Xzpezer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

What if in a pale moonlight the Romulans discovered that it was Garek that killed the Romulan ambassador.As a result the romulan star empire joins the Dominion and declares war on the Federation and Klingon empire.How would the Dominion war play out would they win the war.post you ideas on what you think would happened.

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the Federation would have disavowed Garak as a member of the Obsidian Order, and confused the issue enough to make the Romulans wary, but not hostile enough to ally with the Dominion.

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'd put money on an Tal Shiar agent or two being present when they investigated the explosion, and hide it from the military and the public. Koval may have been waiting for something like this.

4. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

All the intrigue w/the Romulans during the war was so so great.

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges is my favorite DS9 epi

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I doubt the Romulans would have joined the Dominion because they're not any more willing to give up their independence than the Federation or Klingons. But, they would have supported them, supplies and whatnot, in exchange for agreements about sovereignty within borders.

Without the Romulans it's pretty clear the Federation would have lost. Although, in that case, the Founders would have all died, probably leading to a massive Gem'Hadar berserk kill-fest, that had ridiculous casualty numbers everywhere except Romulus, and the Romulans would have than proceeded to take over the AQ.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Starfleet could've put a spin on it that Garak was acting on orders from what was once the Obsidian Order, distancing themselves from the whole incident. That would probably give the Romulans a whole new reason to fight the Cardassian Union and its allies.

That is a brilliant episode. You really see who The Sisko is.

7. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

This is what I meant, but phrased more clearly, I think. :techman:

8. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

It's possible The Federation could have blamed the Obsidian order, but if the romulans had joined the war against them, the Dominion and the romulans would have crushed them.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Great minds :)

10. desfem79

desfem79 Lieutenant Commander

I think they would have declared war.

Think about it, the Federation is the Romulans' greatest enemy. Once the Preator and Senate heard about the takeover of DS9, the Battle of Tyra, even the capture of Betazed, don't you think they'd have had a supreme chuckle at the Federation's expense. To say "Founders hate ALL solids, once the UFP goes, you're next!" is being too rational. And I doubt as non-humans they would have a "have sympathy for your enemies" morality. Unless somehow Jesus and Buddha went to Romulus long ago ;)

Had the allied with the Dominion, the UFP and Klingons had no chance. The Feds alone would have to protect the Neutral Zone and the Cardassian border, and more or less have a permanent core worlds home fleet of dozens of ships. Romulus is not that far from Earth, Vulcan, etc. anyhow.

11. desfem79

desfem79 Lieutenant Commander

Would they have proof? And didn't the Order get wiped out in the Gamma Quadrant?

12. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could just sell out Garak as a lone extremist. They could use the fact that the Tal Shiar tried to kill Garak and that it was a failure in the Tal Shiar's anti-Changeling measures that saw Tain captured and die in Dominion captivity. Vreenak as a senior member of the Tal Shiar would be a good target for revenge against the Tal Shiar.

In terms of the evidence of the Dominion planning to attack the Romulans, it depends on whether the Romulans figure out if its fake. If they don't Starfleet just says Garak obviously just took the opportunity before him. If they do figure it out, Garak is the obvious target for faking the evidence and Starfleet can try to spin it as Garak trying to get the Romulans and Dominion killing each other as a form of poetic justice, again for the death of his father.

All this aside, even if the Romulans discovered Garak's hand or even Starfleet's, joining the war at the stage is not in their best interest. The Federation is on the backfoot but it and the Klingons are still formidable opponents. Best to wait and let all the sides continue to batter each other, because the weaker all the sides are the beter for the Romulan Empire to extract significant gains for minimal costs.

13. Elim Garakov

Elim Garakov Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wouldn't the Romulans wait until the Federation and Klingons are worn out then jump in?

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Why would they? It would be a tougher fight for them if they did.

15. Redshirt13

Redshirt13 Ensign Newbie

The Romulans don't trust the Federation in the first place. During the whole war they're acting on the premise of "the enemy of my enemy". Even if the Federation were to try to spin that he was working under somebody else's orders, why would they believe the Federation. I think the best outcome of this situation would be that the Romulans would pullback some, and that would leave the Federation a lot more vulnerable.