miranda-ish NX bash

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by AnyStar, Dec 9, 2009.

1. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

so i've been thinking about a Matt Jefferies quote from elsewhere on the board, that the first concept model of the original 1701 was concieved as "upside down" compared to how we know it today.

this got me thinking about my NX rework where i was trying to mix in a secondary hull, and this is what i've come up with so far.

here's a simple sketch
    [​IMG]

i have another idea, but this is the one i've been sketching with today. the other idea incorporates the twin-boom things. this one removes them completely

this design moves several elements inside the saucer to new positions. impulse engines are now located where the main shuttle bay used to be. and the shuttle bay is moved up to the top side of the saucer,at the base of the root for the new engineering hull. now with rear facing egresss, as opposed to the way they dropped from below before.

the way the bridge structure used to follow the hull back like a sort of spine, is now the basis for the transition up to the engineering hull as well.

obviously the dish has now been moved to the new hull as well. and slightly enlarged.

the overall length has been shortened, as the nacelles are now both farther forward. they are also on a narrower centerline to each other.

my working theory for this configuration close to doubles the available volume in the saucer section. so much of the available space was eaten up by routing massive power distribution all over the place. like from the engines, and all the way forward to the dish, and all the engineering space taken up by those big booms.

think this design is worth flushing out in 3d?

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

...Sorry. Couldn't resist.

3. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Your Mirandized NX-bash is very similar to any idea I had in mind (never posted) for a Romulan War-era prototype Earth Warship that evolved into the early-Federation Daedalus-class starship, itself eventually evolving indirectly into a TOS-era starship class (Starscape's Spitfire), itself being refit to become the Miranda.

4. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Didn't the Miranda Class have the nacelles attached to the underside of the saucer? not strung back like the akira?

5. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

very nice, thats nearly identical to what i had in my head!

hench my terminology of "Miranda-ish" :) it was just the best title i could think of to describe it in as few words as possible

6. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

Thank you. ;)

It's weird how similar designs can be developed independently, isn't it. :)

Wingsley, don't you think the Spitfire and Miranda are a little too different to be a pre-/post- refit pair?

7. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

In a word, no.

The long road: I do not see a shape like the TWOK Reliant "fitting in" during the TOS era. STAR TREK: NEW VOYAGES tried to do it with the Starship Copernicus in "Blood and Fire", but that was met with mixed reviews. And I was never impressed with Surya and Coventry fan designs. They look like TWOK's Reliant with TOS-era lines layered on top. Of course, I was never happy with Reliant anyway, but that's just me. :vulcan:

8. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

Okay, then. :lol:

Yeah, the Reliant's a fine TOS-movie-era ship, but it doesn't transpose too well to the TOS-era. I was never very satisfied with my attempts at a TOS-era Miranda.

Anyway... Anystar are you thinking of going any further with your design?