(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^ You're right, it is stupid to write Liverpool off after 8 games because they've lost a few games. I however wrote them off the week before the league even started, because I felt then and still do now that:
    -the strength in depth is weak, and there doesn't look like much is coming through to back-up the first XI or the bench
    -some of the players are either not very good or don't look interested enough some days. Doesn't help when your manager plays you in a crazy position either, like he did with Aurelio and Lucas last week
    -if Torres has an off-day or is kept quiet, they don't look like scoring half the time. Yes, I know they can score goals eg 6-1 v Hull, but Hull or Burnley at home is one thing. Chelsea or Fiorentina away is quite another.
    -it's also surely no coincidence that of the 9/10 teams they've played this year, Liverpool have lost to the 4 good ones, and they've lost convincingly. That's not a pattern that's going to get them very far at home or abroad
    Liverpool are doing one thing right - winning games they could easily lose or draw. Leeds and Debrecen spring to mind in particular. They've also eradicated last season's problem of the lower-team-home-draws. But there's no way they can keep losing to teams like Spurs or Villa - what's going to happen when they face City or even Everton?

I predicted them to finish 4th and have believed since August they are the weakest team in the top 4. I stand by my predictions. How do the Liverpool fans here think they can improve?

Starkers, I'd rather get smashed 6-1 away than 0-4 at home. Any day. Heavy home defeats are embarrassing no matter who you are.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Very true.

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I agree too. Depending on the opponent, a 6:1 away isn't the end of the world, but a 0:4 always hurts.

4. Roger Wilco

What do you guys think about the - apparently still accelerating - trend of dubious foreign businessmen buying prominent football clubs? Birmingham City and Portsmouth a couple days ago, and now maybe/probably AC Milan,

5. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Prelude to an Arab invasion.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Too many forgien owners with no love for real Footballer. :( am glad Forest not a big club I like our owners though now they are beginning to buy non PL clubs.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I suspect a lot of foreigners do like football...

Foreign owners are like any other aspect of society, some are good/some very bad. Do chelsea fans prefer Abramovitch over Ken Bates? Probably. Do Villa fans prefer Randy Learner to Doug Ellis, again it's likely. I'm fairly happy with Derby's American overlords at the moment, they're certainly better than some of the charlatans we've had (like the lot before last who were all English and are now all in jail)

It is worrying when owners pump billions in, because you do wonder what happens when they eventually get bored and want to pull out, and the way clubs change hands over a short timescale is ridiculous; the Portsmouth situation is just mad and I fear for them.

8. HappyDayRiot

So, who's going to be watching Ukraine v England today?

9. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I haven't really watched the ones that were on TV, so paying £12 to watch it on the Internet seems unlikely.

10. HappyDayRiot

£12? I thought it was £4.99. And even then I think it's a terrible decision on almost every level.

11. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

It was £4.99 at the start of the week, and the price has increased as the game has grown nearer. It's now £11.99.

Oddly I'm caring about the result more than usual. Put a couple of quid on Japan, England and Italy all winning.

12. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Russia vs Germany 0:1 (35th minute)

A bit undeserved IMO. But a nice goal.

13. Roger Wilco

I think the Germans are playing very well actually, especially in the first half hour they were the better team imo.

14. Iasius

The first 15 minutes or so were about even, then the Russians got better chances, but Germany got a chance and scored. I didn't think at the 34th minute that Germany was more likely to score a goal first.
    The last ten minutes were better from our team.

That said, it's not completely against the way the game was going. I do think a draw at half time would reflect the chances better, but I'm not complaining. ;)

Edit: I may be comparing the German team too much to what I've grown accustomed to from club play.

15. Roger Wilco

Well, the German lead does appear to be increasingly lucky now. ;)

btw. that idiot commentator on ZDF is incredibly annoying.

16. Iasius

Wow, nice attempt by Özil.

17. Iasius

First game for Boateng, red-yellow! This is going to get interesting.

18. Iasius

Well, that was close. However, Russia never really took advantage of their numerical superiority. I guess overall, a draw would've been deserved, but for that, Russia needs to score and they did not.

19. Roger Wilco

They should have gotten at least one penalty shot in the end though.

20. Iasius

I agree.

Anyway, how serious was England about trying to win against Ukraine? What was the red card for?