Grade 5x08 - "The Queen"

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Broccoli, Sep 13, 2008.

?

Grade "The Queen"

1. Fully Powered 3 ZPMs

5.9%
  2. Excellent

19.1%
  3. Above Average

42.6%
  4. Average

26.5%
  5. Below Average

5.9%
  6. Terrible, Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Even a Wraith Won't Feed On It

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen a thread on this yet tonight.

2. Broccoli

I thought it was great. Granted, they had their typical cliches, such as Wraith plan not going as plan and Ronan being right (although, in fairness, everyone agreed with him), but I thought the character interaction and Teyla as the Queen worked really, really well. Definitely, one of the better episodes this season.

3. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Above Average - All due to Todd. :) And in fairness Teyla was not bad either. Their interplay of continuing to "altering the agreement" was great.

So was it just cosmetic surgery? I would be disappointed if this did not have any after-effects in the way Teyla behaves.

In a way this episode closely mirrored the ST:TNG episode "Face of the Enemy", with Troi impersonating a Romulan officer.

BTW, they unfortunately used the short intro sequence again... been a while since they did that.

4. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

1. I guess all the queens don't look alike anymore. Pity, I really liked the actress whose played them for the past several seasons.

2. Teyla actually acting like a Queen took Todd by surprise in the end. That was a fun twist. Todd couldn't stop the attack without being revealed as a traitor and Teyla acted exactly like a Queen should act. She actually did a remarkably convincing job of it, although I do wish that she had been the one to kill the other ship captain instead of Todd.

5. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

What everyone else has said: Teyla as queen = WIN! and Todd continues to be awesome. They should have gotten their own show set aboard a Hive ship; it could be a Wraith domestic comedy and focus on their attempts to outmaneuver those pesky humans! :D

6. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I noticed....where is Woolsey? He's been only mentioned in name in the last 2 eps.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I haven't watched this yet, but what happened to the title sequence ? They seem to have gone back to the quick five second titles they used a few seasons ago with the cast credits overlayed over the episode.

8. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

If I could have split my vote, I'd have given it 3 ZPMs for the concept, but they were relying on Rachel to pull it off, so it gets a below average for lack of credibility.

Teyla couldn't have convinced her kid -- much less another queen -- that she was a WQ. So it loses points for plot device: The Primary (who must have been one of the slower kids in school) believes Teyla is a WQ because the script says so.

ETA: Having now read the comments, I'm astonished. Go back and re-watch the episodes that had wraith queens in them. Teyla displays none of the contempt or bearing of her "predecessors."
    Yes, Teyla is really gentle and kind, but her life -- and Todd's, who I agree was great as usual -- depended on her being convincing (and just being bossy didn't cut it).

What could have made this a little more fun -- seeing as they cut the opening credits (to save time for the episode?) -- would have been a "My Fair Lady" scene where Todd coaches her on the "proper demeanor" of a WQ. :evil:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gave it an average. I hate these face of the enemy type stories, just on principal, and wish it would backfire just once. Todd however, was awesome in this episode, which really brought the score up.

10. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I gave an Average score. Much of it was predictable/typical but they pulled it off very well.

I finally actually liked Teyla. And her threat at the end was great no matter how much of a bluff it was.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope this fruit is as tasty as the farmers who grew it.

It was OK.

12. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Teyla should have stayed the queen for like the rest of the season . . .

13. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great episode! Todd and Teyla as Wraith queen definitely made this episode work. I doubt Todd will go forward with Keller's therapy.

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gave it an average. Nothing too special. Team see Todd with plan. Todd lies. Team confused. Last minute save by team. Todd wins.

Why didn't Teyla call for prisoner/s to her quarters instead of going to talk to them where anyone could hear her? Plus Todd's assistance wasn't very subtle either and for the most part she didn't look anything like a queen in terms of demeanour or presence.

15. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I felt Teyla did not pull off the queen thing so well.
    Also if there not going to do the credits they should just show the show and not use that 5 second thing they have.

16. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was it the same typical "Wraith base/ship infiltration" storyline that we get every few episodes?

17. TheInsideMan

TheInsideMan Commodore Commodore

Hmmmm......above average, but barely.

I just wish that Teyla was a bit more of....well, a bitch while playing the uber-Queen, you know? Like when that bald Wraith welcomed her & Todd onto the hive, I was half-expecting her to say something like "This is the welcome you provide for me? This!!? I should feed on you for this insult! Take me to your Queen, while you still can!"

I was also surprised that she wasn't forced into a situation where she was expected to feed on John and Co. in front of the other Wraith. That would have been interesting, and would have provided more tension that the scence we got where Todd killed Mr. Bald Wraith.

Still, I would have been happy to see this 'Teyla as uber-Queen' story play out for a few more episodes. Let's face it, it would be more interesting then the usual 'Teyla on Altantis' stuff.

And of course, Todd just steals the show. If SGA was going to a sixth season, they could do a lot worse than making the guy a regular. Always nice to have someone in the mix whose agenda isn't always going to match those of the core group.

18. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

The one aspect of this story that was disappointing for me is realizing how weak tptb have made Teyla. Early on, she was shown as far more than capable of taking on Wraith with just a pair of sticks. Now she's Damsel in Distress Girl(tm), waiting for the John or in this instance Todd, to swoop in and her rescue. We should've seen Todd heading to the room, only to witness bald guy's attacking her, but her stomping his green arse into the floor. :shifty:

Aside from that, this was a solid outing, tying The Daedalus Variations as best of the season thus far. Chris Heyderhall seriously rocks. I wish Halling had been given more to do than run after his son.
    And what has Jinto been up to? He should be a teenager now. Just in time for some Stargate 90210 shenanigans for te 3rd series. :D.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  19. Broccoli

While there is a little of that, it is only in there for a minute or so.

My guess is that the episode ran long and there was nothing they could cut w/o damaging the narrative, so they used the short intro. Venture Bros. does this often when their episodes run long.

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I went with above average, but barely. I can't exactly say what was bad, I just know it didn't grab me, but I liked the fact they're actually making alliances that aren't just ended by a double cross at the end of the ep.