Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 17, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

10.2%
  2. Above Average

21.6%
  3. Average

28.4%
  4. Below Average

17.0%
  5. Poor

22.7%
  1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it?
    Jeez... I guess mine got lost in the mail

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yours too? Royal Mail really sucks.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Having a hot girlfriend is one thing, but I seriously doubt someone like Fox's character would be into someone like Shia's. At least not for very long. lol

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, them being together for 2 years was probably part of it.

Optimus Prime is always good. Sam's mother was annoying.

So do I.

I kept an eye out for this. So basically Devastator's compontents are simply several vehicles and not actual decepticons? Does the movie contradict what this movie poster says?

I was hoping they'd use one of these...

Theme #1
    Theme #2

Or maybe they did. I left before the credits finished.

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Sam's mother was fucking annoying. The father at least had some depth and managed to tone it down a little.

Agreed. Turturro was a lot of fun although I really could have done without that shot of him in a thong. *shudders*

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Green Day's song "21 Guns" must have been used about 20 times throughout the film

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Mark Ryan voices Jetfire, the same guy who does Bumblebee.

8. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Sam's parents in both films, although I could have done without the "reefer brownie" scene. I know the movie is rated PG-13, but the movie *is* a big-budget toy commercial.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you sure it was Ryan? Every source I've seen says it was Turturro.

Here's my big question, though:

IMDB says that Peter Cullen has a live action role (as "Autobot Hologram") as well as Optimus Prime's voice. But where was this? I didn't see any such hologram in the film.

10. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I just got back from seeing Transformers 2 with a packed house. I've been tracking various reviews, and the online reaction to the movie for the past several days and the feeling has generally been negative or at best mixed, that I have seen.

So imagine my surprise when the audience I saw it with burst into applause at the end. And I too very much enjoyed the movie, more than the first one perhaps, not sure yet. The big-budget action, the huge epic feel, even some of the silly lowbrow humor came off great in the theater.

Don't believe the reviews, don't believe the haters. The movie has a plot. The Twins are not as bad as some people have complained. And the action is some of the most insane stuff ever put onscreen. I swear, they utilized close to every major weapon system in the US arsenal in that final battle.

But I am still puzzled. Usually the internet/critics can give me a feel for how a movie will come across. But for this particular movie the critical response is really at odds with how much the general audience loves it. Rottentomatoes is usually a good barometer, but is wildly wrong this time. And it confuses me as to why that would be the case, is Michael Bay really that hated?

11. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I went to see it last night. I liked the first film well enough and hoped for more of the same. But this film was a mess. Thats not to say I didn't enjoy myself, I did, and the film's VFX shots are incredible. But the rest was....blah. There was way way WAY too much comic relief. The movie almost did not know what it wanted to be. It tried to be so dramatic and intense in some shots, that he comedy bits, especially the physical comedy was completely out of place.

While I realize that this was just a film about giant robots fighting, I would liked this film to have had the stronger story and characterizations of the first film. Unfortunately it did not. I really cannot see how anyone could put this film over a film like Star Trek, and I believe the critics have been right about both films.

A C+/B- from me.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

According to transformerslive.blogspot.com:

Arcee - Grey DeLisle
    The Fallen - Tony Todd
    Jetfire - Mark Ryan
    Mudflap - Reno Wilson
    Skids & Wheelie - Tom Kenny
    Soundwave & Devastator - Frank Welker
    Sideswipe - Andre Sogliuzzo
    The Doctor (Scalpel) - John DiCrosta
    an ancient Prime - Kevin Michael Richardson

As is often the case with movies in production or that have just been released, IMDB is wrong.

13. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_revenge_of_the_fallen/reviews_users.php

68 from users vs 22 from critics, that's a huge gap.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_revenge_of_the_fallen/?name_order=asc

Star Trek was 95 critics vs 88 users much closer.

So you are correct, my Imax was sold out at 2pm and I couldn't get a seat even. First time I go in the afternoon and can't get a seat. Going next week now.

Here is one part of the answer Megan Fox, her drawing power in a action flick is huge with the boys of all ages.

14. FemurBone

FemurBone Vice Admiral Admiral

I find that hard to believe. No chick is hot enough to make guys shell out 10 bucks to see a movie when they can see hot chicks on the internet for free.

Transformers is a popular brand. The title draws people in. You could put any chick in that role and it would be the same result.

15. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

I agree, but as I said it's only ONE PART of the draw. The comments on the internet about Megan Fox show that it is a variable, maybe smaller than I thought, as you make a good point.

16. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Below Average

Bad plot, though it had a lot of funny moments which is what got it bumped up from Poor.

17. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I wouldn't say that. Think of the Constructicons as a "model" of Transformer, much in the same vein as the classic "Seekers" Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp were three identical models except for colors. Each Constructicon could transform into an individual robot and potentially become part of Devastator. On the ship, Mixmaster, Long Haul and I think Rampage were shown transforming to robot mode and then diving into the water. The same exact model of Constructicons were shown later combining into Devastator, it's just that we didn't see them go into robot mode first.

I thought the Devastator transformation was one of the most amazing parts of the film from an effects perspective. You really got a sense of the character's power and scale, and he looked like a big, brutal ape which works for a character named "Devastator". I particularly liked the way his head formed, and how he had to drag it off the floor, very cool.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

So the constructicons who didn't form part of this particular Devastator could have since they were the same model as the ones who did? That makes more sense, though I didn't notice multiple models of each constructicon.

19. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

The point is, kids will love it and it will sell more toys.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And thus the true meaning of Transformers is revealed.