The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. RAnthony

RAnthony Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have no opinion about bubblegum. It exists, and I chew it just like everyone else. This movie exists and I can't do anything about that, either. But I do have a problem with the attitude of fans who should know better accepting this movie as something other than paramount, in it's continually more shallow fashion, attempting to make a buck at our expense.

I refused to accept Enterprise as Trek. Nemesis is also not Trek.
    In the same fashion, this film is not Trek.

I'll hazard a prediction here, and state that they will be unable to reassemble the cast for a second film. So I doubt very much that there will be one. But then, that would be the preferable outcome from my perspective.

I'll continue pissing in the pro-factions punch until I get a thread whose title reflects my true opinion. Either that, or I get kicked.

-RAnthony

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Cult of personality at work.

And that's Kool Aid, not punch. Get it straight.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

So you're saying it's not lemonade... :shifty:

J.

4. Nimthim

Nimthim Lieutenant Red Shirt

The cast signed contracts for at least 3 films - a script for the sequel has already been ordered - and all those involved seem anxious to start the next one. So I would suspect your prediction is off the mark.

5. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Don't read too much into it. Studios will often lock up the casts and order another film before the movie is even released (I believe that was the case with this one) so that if it is a success all the necessary pieces of the puzzle are already assembled. Admittedly, with Star Trek quickly headed toward 9 figures after less than a week a sequel does seem very probable. Hopefully they actually bother to write a real villain and a better script this time. Take a page from The Dark Knight - action movies can look cool and have substance!

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm counting on it. I loved this movie, but realize it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I'd like to see them come back, and now that our characters are setup and introduced with a good deal of exposition, just lay it all out and tell a rip roaring great story. I do want them to succeed, and I believe they can do it.

J.

7. erastus25

That is my hope as well. I'm crossing my fingers that this movie lacked legit substance because they needed to focus almost entirely on assembling the cast and coming up with an excuse to redo the timeline. BUT, I'm not holding my breather, considering that none of the writers have a stellar track record with writing meaningful stories.

I'm counting on it. I loved this movie, but realize it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I'd like to see them come back, and now that our characters are setup and introduced with a good deal of exposition, just lay it all out and tell a rip roaring great story. I do want them to succeed, and I believe they can do it.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Right... The table is set, and beautifully. Time for the main course... in a mere 2 years... :p

9. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

JJ needs to give Damon Lindelof writing duties. and no I'm not just saying that because of Lost and the fact that Lindelof went to my high school!

10. erastus25

I vaguely remember a trekmovie article mentioning that he's been added to the writing team for the proposed sequel, actually.

11. indranee

really?! that's excellent.

12. Scraggs

Scraggs Cadet Newbie

howdy fellow treksters i,m new here so forgive me if my lingo aint cannon...i thought the new film rocked!

13. indranee

good to see you here, Cadet. post in the welcome thread! :)

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Here's what I have a "problem with". Self-styled arbiters of what constitutes "real" (fill-in-the-blank--in this case "Trek"). Make a qualifying statement, why don't you. "I didn't like the film because it does not embody the qualities of Star Trek that are meaningful to me" is a far cry from (and this has been expressed by several people in various ways) "This isn't Star Trek." End of declarative statement. That's goddamn annoying. (never mind the snide asides some have made that suggest anyone who does like the movie is an idiot or "should know better"--how nice for you to be so much smarter than the rest of us :rolleyes:)

The only people who get to decide whether it is Star Trek are the owners of the property. That ain't you. Tough shit if you don't like it.

As for your concluding statement--I'd bet on the latter. Announcing you're planning to be obnoxious is a good way to have that happen. The board has a place for those who want to do that--it's called TNZ.

You DON'T get to decide (either directly or indirectly) what constitutes "real Trek" for ANYONE but yourself. Do not presume to know what makes one a "true fan". The arrogance of such an attitude is infuriating.

15. Scraggs

Scraggs Cadet Newbie

cheers indranee
    you know you look green on your pic is that supposed to be like that? are you one of those foxy green alien chicks? if so i'm mighty pleased to meet you

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I believe that Orci & Kurtzman aren't the only ones next time around.

But I is hungries now!

J.

17. erastus25

18. indranee

well, I'm a denizen of nuVulcan so... ;)

or, at least, I was :(

erastus25 -- thanks for the link!

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Matte painting?

20. RAnthony

RAnthony Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I qualified, precisely, what I found non-trek about the film in the round-filed thread I started. I'd be glad to defend, at length, my opinions on the subject in a thread titled Star Trek, 1966-2009, R.I.P. which is what I intended to do when I started that thread.

But I've been told the sandbox isn't large enough for grownup discussions, consequently bellyaching on this thread is all I got.

BTW, I have personally attacked nobody at this point. Check the posts and they will speak for themselves. OTOH, every response to my posts, with the notable exception of erastus25, has been a personal attack (combined with coarse language) against me. Strange how accusations of incivility are generally leveled by those who are the least civil.

All I'm waiting for now is a review by the owners/moderators of this site, to which I have already complained. Either this site welcomes free and open discussion, or it doesn't, and I won't be here any longer.

Feel free to hold your breath, I won't be.

-RAnthony