star wars/star trek crossover cominig in 2016

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by han solo, Jun 4, 2014.

1. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

The way I see it is this: (note...personal opinion only)
    Star Trek might deal in hard numbers (5.1GW for a Type X phaser, 50 isotons for a photon torpedo, etc), but Star Wars does not....this leaves Star Wars pretty open to just how much power a turbolaser on a Star Destroyer, or even a Corellian Corvette has in comparison to a Star Trek TNG phaser. For all we know, a turbolaser could be every bit as powerful as a Type X phaser. The material integrity in the construction of an Imperial Star Destroyer or Corellian Corvette might be the same as a Galaxy or refit Constitution class starship. Just because it has the word "laser" in it (granted, in Trek terms, a laser is less powerful than a phaser), does not mean it is inferior. In the Star Wars universe, the term "laser" is a generic catch all term for blaster or beam weapons.

Star Destoyer shields are generally planetary strength, or near planetary strength. It could take a Type X phaser a bit to cut through the shields.

(Besides, some Star Wars ships have ion cannons that ignore shields and can disrupt/disable targeted ships' systems...and sorry, I don't count the whole "if it didn't happen on screen" crap. Lucasfilm Archives--since the mid 80's-- says the ships have 'em, they have 'em....and in my tribute films, they use 'em. ) :D (example, my still in production BattleSTAR Galactica WARS CG movie)

But ultimately, to satisfy (or disgruntle) either and both fanbases, the best to be hoped for is a stalemate...or a fanfilm with alternate endings...one as a tie, one favoring Star Trek, and another favoring Star Wars. :)

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

It's impossible to compare techs between Star Trek and Star Wars.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because he was a great pilot. See, pod race. Humans couldn't even compete in that and here he was, a child, competing and winning.

Yoda trained the younglings. He obviously made a big impression on Obi-Wan. Probably there were lollipops. You know how kids are, they remember fondly things accompanied by sugar.

teacake, apologist

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

han solo: a/s/l
    jj abrams: 14/f/daddy's office. u?
    han solo: 12/m/babysitter's ipad
    jj abrams: kewl

real chat log

5. martok2112

Agreed 110 percent....and then some. :)

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Artificial Gravity:
    ST: Check - SW: Check

Artificial Lifeforms:

Beam Weapons:

Cloning Technology:

Deflector Shields:

Environmental/Life-Support Systems:

FLT Drive:

Starfighters:

Sublight Propulsion:

That's just off the top of my head.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, but who has stronger beam weapons or shielding, can people from our galaxy live with their life support, can a lightsaber block a phaser, do mind tricks work on Alpha Quadrant species, does the force work in the Alpha Quadrant, etc? These questions can't be answered.

8. martok2112

THIS^. This is what was meant by the impossibility of comparing SW/ST tech!

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not that it is impossible, it's that it is stupid.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

You say that now but I bet you'd love to be able to mind trick Janeway.

12. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I tend to think Treknology has the edge, but I wasn't even worried about the relative powers of weapons. You can't use your weapons if I beam them out and scatter them all over the place. (Something we should really see more of just in Trek - shields only block beaming something intact. :devil: )

As to whether the Force would work, well, even if we don't have the midichlorians necessary for mind tricks to work, we also haven't adapted against the Force like the Vong did. So Force-users would be able to use it against us at the very least to the same extent that Vader flung crap around Cloud City.

And yes, it is impossible to be definitive, and if a story were written it would all be based on the needs of the plot of that story. It's a silly, futile exercise. Doesn't mean it isn't FUN every once in a while. :D

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Star Trek may have Star Wars beat on faster than light travel. In Star Wars, Solo boasts the Falcon can make "point five past lightspeed". If this means it can achieve only 1.5c, then Alliance and possibly Imperial ships may be at a disadvantage.

14. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

OTOH, if he means that the ship can do 1.5c outside of hyperspace (which he almost certainly does, since hyperspace appears to get them places at far higher than 1.5c), then it can go much faster than any Federation ship not at warp....

15. martok2112

Yes, but, like the term "laser", lightspeed is another catchall to describe superluminal velocity.

In "The Empire Strikes Back", Admiral Piett reports: "If the Millennium Falcon went into lightspeed, she'd be on the other side of the galaxy by now.". And one does not get metaphorical or surrealistic with Lord Vader. :)

Sounds to me like lightspeed in SW might be a wee bit faster than warp-travel in ST....

OMG, I'm doing it again.....comparing SW and ST tech! Oh, God, is there no end?! Oh the humanityyyyyyyyyy!

:D

16. Melakon

If George Lucas had been able to get the rights to Flash Gordon like he originally wanted, we probably wouldn't even be arguing about this. ;)

17. dub

All of this has happened before (SW) and all of this will happen again (ST).

18. dub

Ahhh, but who knows the size of that galaxy. It could be larger than we would imagine, or it could be rather small. It's a galaxy far, far away after all. But, of course, that then begs the question -- just how far is "far, far?" :p

19. Melakon

More far than you can imagine.

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

You'd have to get the specs for both to discern energy output and absorbtion. ST life support systems can be adapted to accommodate multiple lifeforms on a single ship. Lightsabres block laser fire, so I'd assume they could block phasers too. Ferengi might be immune to mind-tricks seeing as how they are rather impervious to telepathic scans, likewise Vulcans, Betazoids and other telapathic races may be able to resist, but others would be suseptable. As for the Force, it flows through all living things, binding all life together, so it'd work. Then again there will of course be arguements to counter all that, but that's just my perspective.

I actually think that Vulcans would make the ultimate Jedi, given their intellect, strength and emotional control. I have thought about dabbling with this idea for fanfic, but we'll have to see what happens.