Disney's Frozen - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptainCanada, Nov 30, 2013.

?

Your grade?

1. A+

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. A

22 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I havent seen the film yet, but the trailers and the bits I have seen on progrms etc and the overall art style make it look a lot like "Tangled on Ice".

now I loved Tangled, awesome film, but dont want to see an inferior rehashed version with snow. Is it different enough to go see?

2. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Absolutely. I would even argue that it's better than Tangled (which I loved), and the best Disney Animation Studios production since, uh... Lilo & Stitch?

I wasn't too impressed by the trailers either, but the film itself is much better than they'd suggest. The art style may be somewhat similar to Tangled (and I prefer Tangled's character designs), but Frozen's story is quite different, the characters are great, and the songs are much better and better integrated into the flow of the film.

I actually went to see Frozen a second time today, this time with my 6 year-old sister, and I loved it just as much as I did the first time. (My sis loved it, too, of course.)

3. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved it, and the inherent story of the bond between the sisters.

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Thanks for this. It's my absolute favorite part of the movie, which I thought was great overall.

The finer points:

-When Elsa ran from the castle and into the mountains I had a silly image of a bald guy in a wheelchair appearing in her path going "My name is Charles Xavier. I'm from the future. I'm here to help." :D

-Another favorite moment was when Elsa took down the assassins. It was like Carrie, with ice.

-Foreign policy ought to be easy for Elsa:

ENEMY KING: I declare war on Elsa and her kingdom!

PRIME MINISTER (two days later): Majesty! Our entire army was just buried in an avalanche of snow, and we're nowhere near the mountains!

ENEMY KING: :eek: Never mind...

5. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Frozen maybe the best female superhero story we ever get. Because I don't see any major studios making a superhero movie with not one but two female protagonist. The whole Let it Go sequence is like Spiderman using his powers for the first time, it's very powerful.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk&feature=youtu.be[/yt]

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Sadly, FOX owns the movie rights, otherwise he would have been able to give her some advice and the whole crisis could have been avoided.

7. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Cheers. I may just go see it.

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Save it for a sequel... Frozen: Invasion of the Fire Nation. :devil:

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are some similar beats like the male character and animal sidekick.

The trappings are great but the story felt a bit overly familiar (not necessarily Tangled but Disney in general) for my tastes.

10. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Really surprised by how much I got into this film after finally seeing it a few days ago. Love the story, the characters, the music. Man, the music! At least 3 unforgettable songs, only one I wasn't really fond of and that took me out of the movie ('Fixer-Upper', but even that one still has some merit if you listen to some of the lyrics).

Definitely feels like a future classic. I look forward to getting this on DVD.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Great movie. My favorite movie of 2013!

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Finally saw Frozen today. I absolutely loved it! Disney knocked its own tradition on its butt with this one!

First, Kristoff didn't remember that Anna was the girl he saw being saved by the trolls when he was a little boy. Secondly, everyone sane questioned why Anna was engaged to a guy she just met! That's new for Disney. And third, you don't have a prince saving the princess. The princess saved the queen and herself. Fourth, we had a queen that wasn't EVIL!

I felt like I was watching a Broadway play with the classic elements and, with the trolls' song, a touch of Avenue Q! Was that the same actress that played Gary Coleman that was the female troll?

As to the love interests.... Hans seemed to be the classic Disney prince... until he revealed himself to be a freaking jerk. I think it was intentional that we didn't know he was a villain until the reveal. We were all looking at the Duke of Weasel Town... And then Hans was a dirty... word that rhymes with plastered.
    Kristoff by contrast wasn't going to try and sweep Anna off her feet, but was going to help her be better. I loved that!

The only real flaw I can think of is that the songs weren't spaced out enough. I know it worked well with the plot, but still it would've been nice to have more songs in the latter half of the movie. Hans should've had a song about his duality.

Other than that, AWESOME!! :D

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw this last week when it was 110F outside, I'm sure that contributed to my enjoyment of all the ice and snow.. really the best kids movie I've seen in a long time. I loved the visuals, the the nordic stuff.. the snowman who is the character I am usually irritated with was hilarious. I was totally swept away by it.

15. teacake

Oh and someone posted this in the ST:IX forum so I'm reposting it in this thread because it is awesome..

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7h7Mfe8BDw[/yt]

16. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

^ Holy frak that was epic-ally awesome! :lol:

I saw Frozen for the second time last Friday ... and I have to say, it's quite an incredible film. And the song, "Let It Go," is a powerful moment of liberation ... Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.

17. teacake

Yeah I have been thinking I wouldn't mind seeing it again, a very attractive movie.

18. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I thought it was very clever that the main "villain" wasn't a character, but rather Elsa's own insecurities .. her fear. And yet, she wasn't remotely a villain - but a plausible, sympathetic character in her own right - "Let It Go" perfectly illustrating the conflict between controlling her abilities and emotions ... and setting them free ...

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

20. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Not sure I want to hear it in 25 languages one after the other (!) but I'd definitely listen to the Norwegian version if you can find it. Almost prefer it to Idina's.