stargate sg1 season 6-10 worth watching?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tmosler, Nov 4, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So i recently finished watching seasons 1-5 and and am a big fan of the show. My question is i have heard it really goes downhill in seasons 6-10 so my question is it still worth watching these seasons?

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my opinion seasons 1-5 are the best, but there are quite a few things to like in seasons 6-10, and are well worth watching. Things change; some actors come and go (or more accurately go and come back), and one slowly disappears over time. Seasons 9 and 10 are really a different show altogether, but still not bad. Stargate Atlantis is kind of set up by the events at the end of Season 7, so if you're interested in Atlantis at all, you'd benefit from watching it.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Nods Head vigorously. Although, a bit different and not quite as good, I thoroughly enjoyed S7 - S8, and thought it was amongst the best in "wrapped up SciFi Arcs" (For Me. Farscape was on the bottom of that list until Peacekeeper Wars got greenlighted, and B5 was on top [Farscape, of course got elevated quite high after Peacekeeper Wars was released])

S9 - S10, totally different show, felt like a spin off, but, I don't think it lowered the "Cred" of the Franchise, and I am glad to have experienced it, and I own it along with the rest of the Franchise, and when I watch The Franchise, I watch straight through, season by season, one show at a time (Though, SGU S1 takes a certain mood to want to endure, so may be skipped from time to time on marathons [There are a few good episodes but, most of S1 SGU wasn't enjoyable for me, it was a chore, waiting for something to endear me to the show, like more than 1 or 2 characters I didn't want to space, story that made me wonder and care what next...])

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved all of stargate,and 6-10 are very good. Even though I missed RDA, Ben Bowder and Claudia Black play great roles when they enter the show. Black especially as Vala is great.

5. Spocktapus

Spocktapus Lieutenant Red Shirt

I thought season 6 was just about as good as the previous few. 7 and 8 were a bit of a step down from that, but they do wrap everything up nicely, and so I wouldn't consider them really skippable. 9 and 10 really are very different, but I still found it to be enjoyable most of the time. Of course, I expect that would vary from person to person.

6. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

thanks for all your replies I just have a few more questions. is star gate universe season 2 a improvement from season one because I heard season one was bad. Also is all of star gate Atlantis worth watching I heard season one is good. lastly are the two movies ark of truth and continuum any good?

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 6 of the show is fantastic, you need to watch it no matter what!

After that you could watch about 10 episodes total in seasons 7 and 8 and get the point.

Ark of Truth is a horrible piece of garbage, but if you watch seasons 9 and 10 it's the conclusion. Contimuum is just a sand off thing that goes through the history of the franchise. But both I wouldn't watch unless you are familiar with the last two seasons.

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Yes I think so.

I enjoyed the whole series.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.
    I just wrapped up all 10 seasons a few months ago.

As noted S6-8 are largely transitional and S9-10 feel a bit like it's own spinoff while still being SG-1 in name only.

10. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SGU season 1 was disappointing and it was just too much nonsensical infighting between the crew. Season 2 was better, and there are two episodes towards the end of season 2 which are probably in my top 10 Stargate episodes of all time.

I really liked Atlantis. It's not as good as SG-1, but it has it's moments, and some great characters. It's well worth watching, but I'd finish SG-1 first.

The two movies follow SG-1, and The Ark of Truth resolves the Ori storyline that was established in seasons 9 and 10.
    It's ok.

Continum is a stand alone movie, and I liked it quite a bit,

There is also a cartoon, Stargate Infinity which just flat out sucks. It's not really associated with the franchise, so avoid this one at all costs.

11. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd echo all the 'Do watch' stuff. It's up and down, but the really good episodes are some of the best (even, sometime especially, the ones which are 'just fun' like 200)... and as so often, it's sometimes the filler shows and bottle shows that really stand out.

12. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a thought-how about you watch and form your own opinion? Only YOU can tell if its any good or not-to you.

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Other than some O'Neill-lite episodes, Season 6 is pretty much indistinguishable in quality from Seasons 1-5.

Seasons 7 & 8 aren't as fresh or as original as the show was in its prime but there's still a lot of great episodes there. There's also a lot of filler and a few episodes that are just plain unwatchable. *cough*"Avenger 2.0."*cough* You might want to pick & choose which episodes you watch during this era.

Seasons 9 & 10 are very much a different show but still a really good show. I love Vala!

Honestly, even if the show lost half a step in its later seasons, the entire show was executed with a great deal of competence. It's not like the show suddenly took a total nosedive at the end for no reason (i.e. Earth: Final Conflict, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or the original Star Trek). If you made it through all of Season 1, surely you can make it through the rest of it.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    If you get to the end of Season 10 and you still have to ask the question, then you can probably skip 'em. It's more SG-1, which can only be a good thing, IMO. But if you didn't find the show particularly engaging towards the end, these movies won't change your mind.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

One important caveat, the S9/10 Arc, is not tied up at the end of S10, it is tied up in The Ark of Truth

16. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I didn't care for the last two seasons, but 6 - 8 had some really good episodes.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Seasons 6&7 are almost as good as the early stuff.

Season 8 is just "okay." That said, "Moebius" is a lot of fun and the true series finale, as far as I'm concerned.

Seasons 9&10 are, IMO, two of the worst seasons of SF&F television ever. And, yes, I'm fully aware there's been some truly awful garbage to come along over the years.

"Hollow" are the Ori.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Your opinion is invalid once you say Moebius is fun and not "complete garbage". :lol:

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Seasons 6-8 each have their rough patches, but are never as bad as, say, season 1 or 2.

Seasons 9-10 (along with the DVD movies) are essentially a spin-off which pales compared to the original.

Atlantis has a great first season, and then falls to pieces after that. Universe has a terrible first season, and I stopped watching it after that (and then it was cancelled after season two, on a cliffhanger, apparently).

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I think all ten seasons are worth watching, the final two are different to be sure but there's still alot of good stories in the final two seasons.