IDW Khan series

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by cbspock, Aug 26, 2013.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IDW is releasing a mini series on how Marcus found the Botany Bay. This should be interesting to see how "space seed" played out in this new universe.

-Chris

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Could be interesting. I'm probably going to have to check this out.

3. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A new miniseries and more spin out of the blockbuster Star Trek Into Darkness!
    San Diego, CA (July 12th, 2013) - This October, STAR TREK: KHAN will show intrepid readers just how the master villain of Star Trek Into Darkness became the intergalactic menace seen in the blockbuster film. Over six thrilling issues, Khan's secrets will be unlocked and the origin of evil will finally be uncovered.
    Helmed by the veteran Star Trek team of writer Mike Johnson and artist Claudia Balboni, the series will be overseen by the film's screenwriter, Roberto Orci.

"We're traveling back in time to show Khan's rise to power and give fans their first look at the legendary Eugenics Wars," says Johnson. "As the series unfolds we will see the events that led to Khan leaving Earth aboard the Botany Bay, and then jump forward to witness his awakening in the future by Admiral Marcus."
    "Much like the way the Star Trek: Countdown comic book and our follow-up Nero miniseries helped flesh out that character after the first Star Trek movie," said Chris Ryall, IDW's Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief, "Khan will add dimension and depth to this new iteration one of the most classic villains in all of Star Trek lore."
    In addition to KHAN, the only place to continue the epic story of J.J Abrams' Star Trek film universe is in the pages of IDW Publishing's ongoing Star Trek series. Also available is the collection of STAR TREK: COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS, the exclusive prequel mini-series leading into the hit film.
    If that weren't enough, the full run of the STAR TREK ongoing series has been filled with "Easter eggs" leading in to the new film! Fans without possession of a secret-unlocking tricorder are urged to pore over the first twenty issues of Star Trek.
    As Johnson says, "Now that Into Darkness is in theaters, fans reading the ongoing series from issue #1 will pick up on details, both specific and thematic, that set up the movie and the stories that follow it."
    http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2609/

-Chris

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As Greg knows, it's far from "our first look" at the Eugenics Wars!

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

IDW's output had been so dull regarding Trek that I imagine I'll skip this.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Wait for reviews, then might pick it up in trade-paperback. They missed the window on t his one, should have had it come out with the movie.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IDW's "Nero" mini-series sold gangbusters and came out after its parent movie. Timing "Khan" with the arrival of STiD on home video seems ideal to me.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Had Nero and Countdown flipped in my head, I was thinking Nero started just before the movie.

9. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you had it right the first time, SeerSGB. This tale would have been better told as the Countdown to Darkness, IMO. (I know, they had to preserve the mystery box blah, blah, blah.)

Countdown to Darkness was clever in the way it teased us with Captain April and all but it as a prequel to Into Darkness it fell pretty short of the mark, IMO. Countdown to Star Trek did a better job at setting up Star Trek.

But being the dutiful little Trekkie I'll run out and buy them, then the trade paperback. :vulcan:

10. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Oh god, this'll just be fuel for the Cumberbitches. Can tumblr handle it?

BTW, Countdown to Into Darkness was terribad. A shame, because I really liked the first Countdown. I have the TPB if anyone is interested in buying/bartering.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much agreed. Countdown to Darkness isn't really a prequel to STID at all. Although it is better written than Countdown, Countdown did a better job setting up its movie. Something like this would have been much better in its place. The story of Captain April could have easily been made part of the Ongoing series.

12. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

The original Countdown comic from 2009 i initially really enjoyed. Rereading it, I can't help but see it as an epic piece of fanwank by the writers to interject their post NEM fantasies on paper. Nearly none of the events or story that occurred in Countdown were followed through in ST09.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Nero isn't that much better. One word: V'ger

14. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ this I have read. I officially rage quit when I saw that Nero "connected" with his Vulcan side so he could learn how to mind meld and then proceeded to with V'ger. All of this to calculate when Spock would be arriving. The post ST09 comics were also fanwank garbage. I bought and read all of them up to volume 3.

The only comic i read that i actually enjoyed; surprisingly was Brannon Braga's HIVE. Yes it had a convoluted means to and end resolution and more time travel to fix everything but it was an entertaining read.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

When and where.

16. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Meh. There already has been a look into the Eugenics Wars, and done nicely! What I would rather see is just the last part of what they seem to be doing, which is the discovery of the Botany Bay by Marcus or another ship during the search through the sectors of any other threats, as Khan mentions in STiD.

In fact, it would be cool to see other ships (Abbott on the Bradbury, for example) finding things in the look through these sectors, and see the things Enterprise found in TOS and see what happens, as opposed to retelling TOS episodes with this universe's Enterprise.

But it will be interesting to see how they work with discovering Botany Bay in this universe.