USS Armstrong...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Atolm, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

This is based on an un-used TOS concept of the USS Enterprise by the late Walter Matt Jefferies to honour one of the greatest men in aero-space history: Neil Alden Armstrong
    Enjoy mates:
    [​IMG]

Actual Size:
    http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4053/federationussneilaldena.jpg

Oh and special thanks to Tus for discussing the design with me at some length for some secondary insight... Thanks mate, much obliged mate.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Good to see your work again Atolm, you always find a way to do original looking stuff, even when working from an existing design.

Do you have a link to the concept you're working from?

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awesome design :D

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks like he's working from the pic at the bottom middle of this page: http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/1701.html Click on the pic, and it's the top left one.

Kinda makes me think of a pre-Steamrunner. In any case, your artwork always amazes, Atolm! :techman: What's the orange band running around the front edge of the saucer?

5. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Right- that ship always made me think of the Oberth- and probably where they got the inspiration for it.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Cool. This the one?

[​IMG]

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me likey!

8. Atolm

Thanks mates.
    you guessed the correct concept :)
    and for those like B.J. who wish to know what the orange stripe on the saucer is... It is the Bussard collector.
    the actual nacelle is only the aft section of the hull boom under the saucer ;)

9. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

That is superb!

I always thought that Jeffries' version of this design was kind of awkward but your rendition really works. Nice homage to Neil Armstrong, too.

More angles, pleeeease! :)

10. Atolm

Thanks mate :)
    I'll see what I can drum up

11. Atolm

Oh and here, this is a simple diagram of the structures:
    [​IMG]

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Hey, that's a cool idea. I never thought of that...

--Alex

13. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting concept, I personally would blend the catamaran hulls into the saucer but its nice. :cool::techman:

14. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For some reason, I've always had a soft spot for that design, even if it did seem a little unrealistic (what with having two separate hulls only connected by a pair of booms).

I don't think I really need to say how good you're rendition on the configuration is. I should probably think about using markers to spruce up my sketches like what you have done here one of these days, since I've already been told once that they could really use them.

It seems that Armstrong is a rather common starship name in the Trek universe, used rather quite a bit by both canon and fanon alike, though given the lack of a registry number, I'm guessing that for the time being, this is only for fun without serious thought being given for actual design development, so this isn't really a problem right now.

15. Ar-Pharazon

I think with Atolm's distinct style, he could make those booms much thicker and not lose anything.

Like, TOS Enterprise neck "thick".

16. Atolm

Thanks mate. If it were 100% my design, then I would have probably done so as well, but then again it has a strong retro-feel with them as is...either way, should I design a later era vessel or even just re-explore the configuration for this era, I may :)

I believe that Jefferies original intent of the configuration was to have those structures actually be just engines. The how to get to the secondary hull (if that was what it was supposed to be)that the engines are attached to, is anyone's guess. Anyway, I too loved the shape of it, and was why I wanted to take the reigns and develop her some more to honour a Great man.

Go for it with using markers mate, I have always worked in inks(it was what I started drawing with)...but its very fun. Nothing like doing things old school ;)

As for the name, I am honouring the passing of a great aeronautical and aero-space hero...not keeping up with the Jones' sort of speak. This is, as stated above my way of appreciating Armstrong's accomplishments.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

JES has a thing about class names not being reused. Even among fan designs.

18. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I absolutely like the design, its the federation "style" but still not the usual run of the mill, maybe thicker and longer connection pylons between the catamaran hulls and the saucer would solve it?

As for a name.. USS Complexity? ;)

19. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, that sketch does have a pretty dynamic angle. At least I think so.

And I can understand not worrying about little details such as registry or whether or not the name might already be used for that era. I usually start out a design to have fun and sketch everything out, and plan out the name and registries while finalizing everything.

Usually, when I think of old school, I think of pencils (and an eraser). Hehehe:rolleyes: I'll probably pick up a set if/when I go to an art store again.

It didn't even occur to me to mention that I knew that you were naming it after Neil Armstrong. I was already aware of the former lunar astronaut's passing.

Especially among fan designs, since I see fan designs as a way to add to the Trek universe. But if a design contradicts anything else in any way too much, it can make it difficult to "work it in" into the fabric of the Trek universe.
    Sometimes, I admit, it can be extremely difficult to not make some sort of contradictions, even with the effort to avoid them, but being aware is half the battle, which is why I sometimes mention potential contradictions that I spot.

In this case, it is fortunate that the canon (or semi-canon, depending on your point of view) U.S.S. Armstrong (NCC-1769) from the last film is supposed to exist in another timeline, so even though she would contradict another fanon vessel, at least she doesn't contradict anything canon.

In fact, seeing as how the Farragut in the alternate timeline isn't a Constitution class, I see no reason why the Armstrong in the prime timeline couldn't be another class as well. This Armstrong could very well be the same vessel for all intents and purposes, with the same registry. If all else fails, I know of no vessels that carry the full name (Neil Armstrong), which I think Starfleet might do if they are having a hard time coming up with new names. This all really only matters however if the design is to be taken further.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Fixed that for ya. The rest of us don't really mind either way.