Canon characters killed in the books SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Feb 3, 2009.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I've said in the ASD thread, I've just started the book, and I got to the part where Drex apparently is killed. This, along with all of the discussion about Janeway's death got me wondering which screen characters have been killed in the books, not including Mirror or alternate universes.
    So far the only ones that have come mind are:
    Shaakar
    Janeway
    Drex (apparently. I guess there is chance he could be saved)
    B'Elanna and Miral (maybe, KRAD's evil laughs add a ? to this one for me)
    I'm pretty sure there have been more, but they are the only ones that I can think right off the top of my head. And I am including characters who only had a bit part in one episode or movie. Also, please please do not turn this into a debate over who should or shouldn't have been killed, I just want to discuss what happened.

2. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

With emphasis.

I know folks are about sick of the sheer number of threads this permeates, and as much as I don't really like being very heavy-handed in modding with the "Stay on topic" mantra, I think we'll need to be for this thread and this thread. At least until things die down a bit.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know, I really debated whether or not I should start this thread, but I was really curious about this, and I wanted to ask before it slipped my mind. Feel free to close it down now, or at any time if you don't feel comfortable with it.

4. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

It's not a problem, long as the "don't kill my characters" debate stays away from this thread.

5. elaithin

elaithin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Captain George Sanders. Darn you, KRAD! Darn you all to heck!

6. David R. George III

David R. George III Writer Fleet Captain

Dr. McCoy died in Provenance of Shadows, and Bajoran First Minister Shakaar perished in Cathedral.

7. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Intendant dies at the end of Warpath

And kinda think good riddance.

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

This list isn't anywhere near complete, and doesn't include dramatizations of deaths we know about but didn't see onscreen (Amanda Grayson, Ian Troi, Jack Crusher) but here's a start.....

• Azetbur, daugher of Gorkon (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country) -- The Lost Era: Serpents Among the Ruins by David R. George III
    • Drex, son of Martok (DS9/"The Way of the Warrior") -- A Singular Destiny by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    • Kieran Duffy (TNG/"Hollow Pursuits") -- SCE: Wildfire Book 2 by David Mack
    • Mr. Homn (TNG/"Haven," etc.) -- "The Ceremony of Innocence is Drowned" by Keith R.A. DeCandido (Tales of the Dominion War)
    • Kathryn Janeway (VOY/"Caretaker," etc.) -- TNG: Before Dishonor by Peter David
    • Jaresh-Inyo (DS9/"Homefront," etc.) -- Articles of the Federation by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    • Kira Nerys (mirror) (DS9/"Crossover," etc.) -- DS9: Warpath by David Mack (I know you said no MU versions, but the Intendant was a pretty major onscreen villain, so I think she, at least, counts)
    • Kornan (DS9/"Soldiers of the Empire") -- GKN: Honor Bound by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    • K'Vada (TNG/"Unification") -- GKN: Honor Bound by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    • Leonard McCoy (TOS/"The Corbomite Maneuver," etc.) -- TOS: Crucible: McCoy: Provenance of Shadows by David R. George III
    • Owen Paris (VOY/"Persistence of Vision," etc.) -- Destiny: Gods of Night by David Mack
    • Mark Piper (TOS/"Where No Man Has Gone Before") -- TOS: The Lost Years: Traitor Winds by L.A. Graf
    • George Sanders (DS9/"For the Uniform") -- A Singular Destiny by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    • Shakaar Edon (DS9/"Shakaar," etc.) -- DS9: Mission: Gamma: Cathedral by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
    • T'Pau (TOS/"Amok Time," etc.) -- TOS: Spock's World by Diane Duane
    • Lian T'su (TNG/"Arsenal of Freedom") -- SCE: Wildfire Book 1 by David Mack
    • Vekma (TNG/"A Matter of Honor") -- TNG: A Time to Kill by David Mack
    • Worf (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country) -- The Lost Era: The Art of the Impossible by Keith R.A. DeCandido

Like I said, nowhere near complete. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've forgotten folks I've killed (the joys of writing Klingons a lot....).

9. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

Although not a huge fan of Voyager books, in which one does B'Elanna die?

10. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

She's listed amongst the missing after the Borg conflict in A Singular Destiny... but KRAD gives an evil laugh whenever he's asked about this!!

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

That remains to be seen. Her name and her daughter's appears in a casualty list in A Singular Destiny, but we won't know if that list is accurate until Full Circle.

12. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

Really!!!!

I just read that section of Singular Destiny. I read maybe two of those namepages and skimmed the rest. That will teach me.

Thanks

13. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Damn sneaky that DeCandido...

14. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

KRAD's list was fascinating - I had no idea there'd been so many! I vividly recall reading about T'Pau's death in Spock's World, and what a momentous occurrance that was. I might be wrong, but I think that was the first time a TV character was killed in a book, right?

15. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I remembered whose name was on the cover and was reading through the names. I'd just been expecting random names, with a few gag names and maybe some one/two appearance character thrown in. Then I reach the M's...

16. David R. George III

David R. George III Writer Fleet Captain

Keith, thanks for remembering that I killed Azetbur in Serpents Among the Ruins, since it eluded me when I added my post to this list. You also reminded me that I killed Spock's mother, Amanda, in The Fire and the Rose.

17. ClayinCA

And if I'm not mistaken, since Ann Crispin also killed her in Sarek, that makes Amanda one of the few (only?) characters to die twice in the novels. :p

18. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Yup, Amanda died twice, but I didn't list her for the reasons stated (also why I didn't list MJF doing Jack Crusher's death or me doing Ian Troi's).

19. ClayinCA

Oh yeah, that's right (and it does say that in your post - whoops, I missed that the first time).

I'd also forgotten all about Mark Piper dying in that Lost Years book. Guess I should re-read some of these things....

20. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

KRAD!! You killed Drex? Does Martok have any surviving children, any heirs now then?

*grumbles about reading the line about TAoTI instead of skipping it*