THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I kept thinking it was the Cosmic Cube, but I soon realized it was the Casket of Ancient Winters.

We also don't know what happened to the Casket, it's possible Loki still has it on Earth with him to prepare for his next attack someday.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The props looked the same to me. This movie also kind of reminded me of Masters of the Universe and a little bit of Howard the Duck.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yes. Sadly MOTU is in development hell right now :( I thought Asgard looked pretty similar to Eternia. Colin Feore would be a good, unconventional choice for Skeletor.

4. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Either that article is wrong or you spoke to soon. Thor is doing very well at the box office
    it's at almost 67 million US and like 130 million over seas. Not a world record but still very strong opening weekend. They were initially projecting 60 million for the opening weekend.

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I dug it. Enjoyable flick.

It did leave me wondering what Thor needs with the other Avengers, though. :lol:

Oh, and those 3D space shots during the end credits made me all the more eager to see Star Trek 2 in 3D! :drool:

6. Admiral_Young

^ Thor doesn't need the other Avengers, but since Loki is involved in the plot most likely teams up with them to stop his brother like in the comics.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Loki has been the linchpin for both the original Avengers to unite, but also the big bad for the ultimates.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There are a lot of cosmic cubes. They aren't unique like the Eye or the Infinite Gauntless.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

For the non-comic book fans out there: Cosmic Cube.

EDIT: Is Hawkeye the guy from The Hurt Locker? I thought it might have looked like him, but I've only seen the trailers and award show stuff for THL, so I'm not familiar enough to with him to be able to recognize him with 100% certainty.

10. Admiral_Young

^ Yes. Jeremy Renner.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I give it a B. The action should have been a bit more balletic, I wish Branagh had played the SkarsgÄrd role, and I actually found Portman annoying; her character was just too cookie-cutter bombshell paranormal-nerd. It would have helped if they'd given her some more depth during the nighttime scene.

Everything else was strong, though; Asgard looked fantastic and the script was wise to include so many humor beats. I especially loved Hawkeye's "Got anyone else? Because I'm starting to root for him"; awesome line.

I did keep wondering, however, when the Asgardians picked up contemporary English, and why the humans never asked about it.

The least of the Marvel Cinematic Universe flicks so far, but it gets the job done; I'm glad I saw it - in 2D, of course. :p

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

My grading system is pretty steep.

If I was sufficiently entertained I'll give it a high grade even if the story is a confusing mess.

For a movie to get a C, well, it has to suck. (I gave Skyline a C, IIRC) for a movie to get a D it has to really suck. (I gave Transformers 2 a D) for a movie to get an F? It has to be abysmal. I've never handed out that grade to a movie in recent memory.

I went into Thor and was entertained, the characters were mostly interesting, the action was well done, and I was never really bored. Sure, I wasn't too engaged by the plot on the home planet/whatever and I didn't really understand it but that didn't take away from the fact that the movie still entertained me.

13. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Just saw the movie last night, loved it, give it an A

What a brilliantly family friendly fun movie, not one curse word, just a darn good movie that was highly entertaining.

Not very knowledgeable on the marvel comics side of things, but I feel this movie explained things good, it was easy to follow for a n00b like me, so that's good.

Overall, excellent film, recommend it, look forward to more marvel films.

Oh, and Natalie Portman was HOT as a geeky astrophysicist :P

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The article headline overstates; the article makes a clearer reference to the fact that the studio was projecting 70 million for this one and it fell short. Studio projections tend to be conservative because, rather obviously, they'd rather surpass the estimate than fall short. So Thor is a bit of a domestic disappointment so far, but not by much.

15. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

The movie cost $150 million and has already made $200 million worldwide. I don't think they're that disappointed. :lol:

16. Admiral Buzzkill

"Disappointed" and worried are different things, too. They'll make money, no doubt about it - they'll want Thor to do 275 domestically, but they have to be happy that the international is as strong as it it. Other than Spider-Man, though, Marvel's high-water marks are the Iron Man movies - and nobody likes their greatest successes to be years in the rear-view mirror. Thor got crowded more than expected by Fast Five; Marvel's probably looking a little anxiously at Captain America now.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

At least it got good reviews as well as financial success.

18. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Most definitely...I doubt Thor is gonna' make 275 domestically. 200...maybe.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

When does Potter come out?

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Sometime in mid-July I think.