One Two Eight Ten

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The latest issue of DWM confirms Tennant and Billie Piper for the 50th, as well as John Hurt.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

10 and Rose, big fuckin woop...

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the 99% of the audience who aren't bitter old fans yes it will be, though I'd have prefered Catherine Tate myself.

Will it be meta-crisis Doctor though?

4. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:(

Tennant is probably going to be a ramped up caricature of how he was at the end of his run. A nauseating one-dimensional, hyperactive, gurning, catch phrase spewing, crying towel using, prat.

5. Atticus

That's the spirit! :techman:

6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This would be in the fantasy version of the series that exists in your head?

Did you think the most popular and succesful Doctor of all time wouldn't be back if they were doing a multi-Doctor story for the Anniversary?

7. Atticus

Blogtor Who reporting it's definitely only 60 minutes.

8. Captain Crow

He was okay near the beginning but, near the end Tennant's Doctor was more ticking off items in a check list rather then an actual characterization.

Act hyperactive -Check
    Say "Allonsy" -Check
    Say "I'm so sorry" - Check
    Break out the crying towel - Check
    Pull stupid faces - Check

And sadly a ramped up version of how he was near the end is most likely what well get. Heck, that's what we got when Tennant guested on The Sarah Jane Adventures.

So, Tom Baker is going to be in it then?

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Tennant, and consider him to be "my Doctor" but I'm going to be disappointed if he's the only former Doctor to return. Hell, even if it's just him and the two pretending to be Hartnell and Troughton I'd be satisfied. It's an anniversary special, make some effort to bring in other Doctors than just the incumbent and immediate predecessor.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It's a shame Tennant is the one who hasn't aged, because I suspect, since it's Rose, it will be her Meta-crisis Doctor, not the Timelord who Regenerated into 11. That would allow for no explanation necessary for the aging.

The aging wouldn't bother me at all though, personally.

McGann would also be great, he only had the one movie, and he's fantastic in his Audios, so it would be great to get to see him again. Still, would love to see at least one of the older guys. 1 and 2 played by the Biopic actors could be really cool, especially if the Biopic airs first to acclimate us to their version.

11. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The DWM article that reported this also says other casting is a closely guarded secret, so people can continue to hope for classic Doctors for a while yet.

Apparently DWM is only out this early because of a distribution error, and has accidentally scooped a planned BBC announcement. The GB news page is, ridiculously enough, bowing to a DWM/BBC request not to report the casting until the official announcement.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Accident or no, I've no doubt that Tom Spilsbury's received an earful from Cardiff today.

GB's efforts to curry favor amuse me because they're so pointless.

13. Captain Crow

She can still pull off a series 2 era Rose.

14. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The best part is that they posted just to say, "DWM was early, something big is in it but we won't tell you what," guaranteeing that the ten people who didn't already know would go and find out. But since the BBC has evidently decided to rush an official announcement, the news page has updated now: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/03/bbc-confirms-david-tennant-to-star-in.html. The original "no news here!" post is still up, complete with title typo, for the moment: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/03/doctor-who-spoliers.html.

15. The Wormhole

Ptovided she doesn't talk with that weird lisp she had in her season 4 appearances.

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I seriously hope there are some classic series Doctor Who actors in this special celebrating the anniversary of the classic series. Otherwise what the fuck is the point?

I'm fine with 10 and Rose as long as we ALSO get 4 and Leela or Romana II, 5 and Tegan, 6 and Peri, as well as 7 and Ace.

Seeing 7 and Ace together again would make me forgive all other casting sins.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

In Piper's defense, she had had her teeth fixed (which changes the airflow through the mouth), and she had forgotten how to do Rose's accent.

Honestly, I chalked the changed voice up to Rose's time on Pete's World. It's a different planet, language and accents would be different there, and Rose would have unconsciously picked that up.

18. The Wormhole

Well, I didn't mind that much, and by Journey's End I got used to it. But it sure was distracting while watching Turn Left.

19. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Itssshhhh the darknessshhhh Donnerrrrrrr.....

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Oh, I can totally understand why Rose is in - she's the first viewpoint character of Nu Who. And Ten was hugely popular, but is basically... too recent. I mean, his episodes are on a permanent loop on Watch, so he doesn't really feel like a past Doctor, you know...