Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

They could kill off ALL the original X-Men and replace them with their teen-aged selves. It worked aces for Iron Man in the 90's...right?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except that Professor Xavier taught the original team not to kill IIRC. I guess one of the aspects that is going to be interesting and what I'm curious about in All New X-Men is to see the original team's reaction to the present time and what's been going on. I've stated for a long time that Jean would be absolutely appalled with how Scott's been for the last several years (comic book time) and how much he's changed. Even more interesting is how Past Scott will react to current Scott and his actions.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean after they've finished watching the dvd boxsets of the last few seasons of Dawsons Creek?

It's just going to be horrible.

How do you tell these kids that there are 3 new Star Wars movies and that they all really, really suck.

We all got a few years to recover inbetween each crushing disenchantment, but these poor bastards.

Warren has had a psychotic break and thinks that he's an Angel and he's sharing a class room with the teenage clone of Apocalypse?

Jason Aaron makes Claremont look like a meangirl.

4. Admiral_Young

Warren's been cleansed apparently in the last issue of Uncanny X-Force...unless that was Charles trying to trick Betsy.

5. Guy Gardener

Rachel spent a week digging and found nothing.

Although, one look at Evan, and all he could see was Apocalypse along with all the associated feelings.

6. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

CBR talked to Alonso and Brevoort about the Marvel NOW! initiative. I'm going to pull out some select quotes, one of which includes an announcement that I don't think had previously been rumored (and which I will be putting in bold).

See the link for many other quotes, including talk on reintegrating the cosmic side of the universe, redesigned covers, and the use of AR apps.

Well, Hickman... [insert obligatory Futurama meme re: "shut up and take my money!"]

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not a big fan of how Brevoort talks about the cosmic side of the universe. He makes it seem like from Annihilation through Annihilators: Earthfall took place away from the rest of the Marvel Universe. In fact, they were very much a part of the Marvel Universe, and, as someone who wasn't reading any Marvel, they were my introduction to a lot of the recent events at Marvel. Sure they weren't involved in everything, but there were a lot of links:

• The Annihilation: Super-Skrull mini-series had the titular Super-Skrull visit Reed Richards for a way into the Negative Zone.
    • Annihilation itself had a scene where Nova tried to contact Earth, but due to the events of the Civil War, didn't get much of a response.
    • Early in his series, Nova returned to Earth, was met by Iron Man who gave him the Initiative sales pitch, caught up with Justice, faced the Thunderbolts, and talked to Penance (nee Speedball), all of which convinced him to get off Earth as quickly as possible.
    • The big bad of Annihilation: Conquest was Ultron.
    • Following Annihilation: Conquest and a tussle with Galactus and the Surfer, Nova caught wind of the Secret Invasion and headed back to Earth. He encountered Darkhawk at Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S. and fought the Skrulls there. While on Earth, he caught up with fellow New Warriors Firestar and Justice.
    • Meanwhile, the Guardians of the Galaxy, fought Blastar at the "Project 42" prison and warned Reed Richards of the threat of invasion by the Negative Zone hoards.
    • The events of X-Men: Deadly Genesis, "The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" the 12 issue storyline in Uncanny X-Men, X-Men: Divided We Stand, and X-Men: Kingbreaker, as well as Secret Invasion: Inhumans and Secret Invasion: War of Kings all lead directly to War of Kings, which involved the Starjammers lead by Alex Summers (aka Havok) and comprised of other former X-Men Polaris and Rachel Summers (aka Phoenix), the former of which was the one-time sister-in-law to Crystal of the inhumans and the latter of which found out that the Shi'ar had killed her family. The Shi'ar Imperial Guard and Lilandra (onetime wife of Charles Xavier) were involved.
    • Following War of Kings, in the Nova issues that tied in with Realm of Kings, Nova chased after Darkhawk and wound up in a part of the Fault where he interacted with past versions of Reed Richards and Black Bolt, against other various versions of Earth villains such as Moonstone.
    • While The Thanos Imperative and the first Annihilators mini-series were pretty cut-off from the rest of the Marvel Universe, the second (and last) Annihilators mini was entitled Earthfall and had the Annihilators team up with a team of Avengers made up of Captain America, Iron Man, Red Hulk, Valkyrie, Ms. Marvel, and Spider-Man.

So Marvel Cosmic was never really apart from the rest of the Marvel Universe. Brevoort always seems dismissive of the 2006-2011 Marvel Cosmic Universe, which upsets me, because, again, for those 5 years, that was my exposure to the Marvel Universe. And it was my enjoyment of those comics which lead me to recently pick up the first four Fantastic Four TPBS of Hickman's run, as well as the Avengers Assemble comic. Recently, I branched out and tried and liked Daredevil and, assuming my wallet can take it, I might try Avengers and New Avengers with Hickman, as well as whatever title the Guardians appear in.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait....did I read that right? They're canceling Uncanny X-Men in favor of Bendis' All New book?

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know what you read but that sound like typical industry think tank actions at work.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, I have zero intrest in Uncanny Avengers, which is probably good, with Hickman's Avengers run consisting of three #$@&!*!! books a month! I'm actually kind of surprised to hear that New Avengers will be continuing at all. I wonder how it will fit in in the grand scheme. Will it be integral to the main book, or it will like FF is to Fantastic Four or will it genuinely be its own thing?

As for the future of Uncanny X-Men, I would thing that nothing's been said about it as to avoid spoiling AvX. After all, that books entire status quo has been upended by the event. Who knows how this will end for Cyclops and his people?

I suppose that having all of these twice-monthly books was inevitable, with Amazing Spider-Man showing that it can be sustained over the long term, but it's actually forcing me to take a long look at what I buy. I didn't mind occasional double-shipping for certain books once in a while (Avengers Academy, Journey into Mystery), but buying straight up bi-weekly books, especially $3.99 books, can get expensive.

11. Admiral_Young

Brevoort says that "All New X-Men" replaces or succeeds Uncanny X-Men in the same way that New Avengers did Avengers, and we know Bendis eventually restarted Avengers and New Avengers became a companion book after Civil War and Secret Invasion. Still don't know anything about Kieron Gillen yet. If they confirm the move to "Iron Man" then yes I suspect that Uncanny X-Men could be at the very least temporarily cancelled.

Anyways Uncanny Avengers assemble!!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07...fights-alongside-rogue-in-uncanny-avengers-1/

I'm looking forward to this. It's Rick Remdender with John Cassady art so I'll check it out. Also...

I'm guessing that Hickman will have New Avengers as a companion book to Avengers (like Bendis did) and like FF has become a companion book to Fantastic Four. I'm excited that Steve Epting will be drawing New Avengers.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read all of the stuff so if I missed this somewhere I apologize, but if they're bringing the original X-Men into the present, wouldn't that wipe out their history after that point? Have they addressed that in any of the interviews?

13. Guy Gardener

These guys eat paradoxies for breakfast.

Besides remember how we went through all this with Captain Marvel during the civil war and he just turned out to be a damn brainwashed Skrull?

14. Admiral_Young

@JD details about All New X-Men haven't been given yet and no the paradox nature of the book hasn't been addressed at all. Has Bendis even talked about it yet? I don't think he has given an interview yet.

I guess this is what he meant when he denied the rumor that he wasn't writing X-Men and that what he was writing would be "so much bigger than that".

15. Captain Craig

Punisher #13 - This was a good issue. I enjoyed the undercover aspect of Frank and Rachel slipping into a blackmarket auction for scrap/damaged heroics gear. While someone from The Exchange was there that Rachel wants and she nearly got distracted from the mission I have to ask what does Frank intend to do with the stolen Doc Ock arm parts he took?

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Random observation-- the latest issues of AvX, Defenders and Fantastic Four all ended with cliffhangers in Wakanda.

17. Captain Craig

^^^
    Interesting indeed.
    Defenders was the only one of those I read. Kinda curious to see what Felecia Hardy gets accomplished next issue.

18. Admiral_Young

I am personally hoping that T'Challa gets an ongoing sometime next year. Either written by Remender or Hickman. I've absolutely loved the FF arc featuring him and Wakanda right now :)

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like they're gearing up for Marvel NOW! by cancelling 9 titles.

Say good-bye to: Captain America, Fantastic Four, FF, Incredible Hulk, Invincible Iron Man, New Mutants, The Mighty Thor, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men Legacy.

Of course, we can assume most of these are coming back via Marvel NOW! with brand new #1's and new creative teams. And in some cases, such as FF and Fantastic Four, it makes sense since Hickman is leaving the books.

20. Captain Craig

I was very hesitant to buy the new Incredible Hulk because of this start/stop nonsense that continues to eat away at the hobby but did anyway. Shame on me.

I'm not picking up another new Hulk #1, not off the stand full retail. If I find it in a $1 box a few months from now perhaps but by then I'll probably be able to get the first TPB cheap anyway.

Thought my other most enjoyable read Punisher would be on there but it isn't. But for how long?