Fallen Star - Episode 1 (it's not Star Trek, but it's close)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Start Wreck, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Try, we did. As it happens, we finished the first round of filming last night, and we'll be taking the set down again tomorrow... for the very last time (probably). I knew we'd be cutting it fine, but this was pretty nerve-wracking!

It has been a tiring month, to say the least. Late nights, schedule conflicts, long hours, more late nights. I'm going to take a little break, maybe work on some editing, but take it easy for a while, then we'll start thinking about the next production phase. We've got another small set to rebuild (the ship's briefing room and living quarters), plus various on-location shots and a whole lot of green screen.

Good times ahead! Now, excuse me while I pass out; this film-making lark is hard work...:cardie:

2. Start Wreck

It may interest nobody to know that Episode 1 is now available to watch on YouTube in a single 53 minute part, rather than a 10-part playlist. I will be keeping the old versions online (for a while, anyway) but the original playlist now only contains the new full-length video. (Further down the line, I'll probably add additional episodes to the same playlist.)
    Here's the new link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWHDahkFvgU

Furthermore, there have been a few minor tweaks made to the visual effects, but nothing too drastic. For a full list of changes, see my website article, here: http://adaninthelife.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/fallen-star-episode-1-1/

For future updates, keep an eye on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/fallenstarshow

Cheers! :)

3. Start Wreck

So, I've been busy lately working on the eagerly anticipated (hahaha!) follow-up to Fallen Star Episode 1, currently imaginely titled "Fallen Star - Episode 2" (although its real title will be revealed nearer release).

Although it's still a little way from being anywhere near finished, I have completed a short teaser trailer. See link below.
    Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/EpkUrtg6hJM

4. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome, I loved the first episode , looking forward to the next one. Keep up the good work

5. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Very nicely done...keep it up!

6. Start Wreck

Hi there.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but we are in need of some volunteers to provide some voice work for the next episode of Fallen Star. Normally, we do all voice-related stuff ourselves, but for this one particular scene we require an abundance of American accents and it's rather beyond our little group to provide them. I gather a majority of the TrekBBS users are from the US (?).

If you'd like to provide your voice for a few short lines (it's mostly radio comm chatter aboard a ship during an attack, status reports, barking orders back and forth, that sort of thing), please reply here or by private message.

You'll need a reasonable quality microphone, a reasonably quiet room and either be American or have a far better faked accent than mine. :p We don't need anything terribly professional but we'd like it to sound pretty good. Any age or gender. We'll probably need about four or five people.

If there's no interest, we'll just do it ourselves. But if you fancy it, you could have the honour (sorry, honor) of your name appearing in the credits! And, y'know, it might be fun.

7. Start Wreck

FYI, I've now made a revised version of the blooper reel, which is just under 15 minutes long, with some of the less funnny stuff taken out. The main reason for this is so it's ready for inclusion on future special features discs. I aim to have a bloopers reel for every episode and 25 minutes is just too long, so I shortened it. I've also increased the volume, as all our old footage was waaayy too quiet.

We've decided it would be a good idea to have some more in-depth special features for future episodes, including cast interviews and 'documentary style' footage. I'm also going to do some more in-depth VFX breakdowns, and hopefully a commentary track for every episode (on the DVD anyway; there doesn't seem to be a way to have additional audio tracks on YouTube).

If there are any other features people would be interested in seeing, please let me know. This is still the early stages so anything's possible at this point.

As far as our progress on episode 2 goes, shooting is on temporary hold at the moment and it's looking unlikely that it'll be ready before the year's end. However, production is still moving forwards and an early-2013 release seems likely.

Also, the above request for voice talent still stands, if any Americans here want to get involved.

8. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A jolly good romp!

9. Start Wreck

Early 2013!!!! Oh what naïveté! :lol:

This will probably be my final update in this thread (I'll start a new one for Episode 2 once it's finished):

The filming is now all done. We had some epic unexpected "down time" while waiting on a costume of all things, plus working out where to shoot the last scene, which has possibly added a year onto the production time. These things can't be helped, that's just how it goes sometimes.

On the plus side, this time out of production let me work uninterrupted on the visual effects, which are now finished as well.

So, we've got some audio work to do (dubbing, unfortunately!), sound effects, sourcing some music, etcetera, but I'm hoping the whole thing is finished and ready to show by the end of the year. I mean it's basically all I'm doing now, just this final crunch.

See you on the other side...

(PS. voice talent request still stands, we could always do with more. See previous posts for details.)

10. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I missed this project when it was posted on-line a few years ago. I'm halfway through your first episode -- looks like good fun. The video comparing the audio (before and after dubbing) was interesting. You've done a great job matching it up with the video.

Duane

11. Start Wreck

Thanks. Yes, it's a time-consuming process. In an ideal world, we'd've been able to get good audio in the first place, but it wasn't to be. :)

12. Start Wreck

I was wrong again! This is my last update in this thread:

The final trailer for episode 2 is now online. The full episode will be appearing very shortly. Thanks for watching! :)

YouTube link:
    http://youtu.be/ImkxtgbjhSk

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Hooray! Definitely looking forward to the next installment!

14. JT Perfecthair

JT Perfecthair Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That was great. I love that they always have a cup of tea onhand. Also nice use of Holst in the soundtrack.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

A bit too heavy on the pew pewing spaceships.